TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobile app while being serviced

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Todd Burch, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Service Driving My Car To Their Home?

So,

Interesting thing here. Since I have the iPhone app, I can now track where my car is. All day, it's been at the service center. (It's actually been there since Thursday, while Tesla investigates an inverter fault and closes out a few punch list items).

So I just checked the app again, and I see that the range has dropped by 30-40 miles. I look closer...and my car is parked AT A PRIVATE HOME in a residential neighborhood. I'm really not comfortable with this. At all.

I understand if Tesla employees need to drive the car a few miles to test things out, but I'm not sure I like the idea of employees taking my $90,000 car home with them. Anyone else have opinions on this? Should I be concerned?

2. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Take a screenshot for evidence. This is not ok unless you gave them permission.

3. rekoh

rekoh Member

I tend to agree that it is not really appropriate.
    I guess you have a few options:

1) file a complaint.
    2) honk the horn. A lot. at all hours of the night.
    3) run the battery down so they cant get it back to work.
    4) just be happy you are getting your car.
    5) all of the above.

4. Todd Burch

I gave them permission to drive it a little bit for testing. Not to take it home with them overnight.

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Could be they are taking their work home with them.

Are any of the punch list items just fiddly little things that some glue and time will fix? Maybe something relatively easy like getting the jump seats installed?

6. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#6 ChadS, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    A couple of years ago an employee told me that Elon REQUIRED service personnel to put 50 miles on cars that were in for service to make sure everything was OK. Which was frustrating for them at the time because doing so was time consuming and they didn't have many employees.

If something like this is still in effect, taking it where they are going anyway rather than driving around aimlessly seems reasonable to me. I am sure they have good insurance; but I would still hope it's in a garage somewhere to avoid having to wait for insurance and repairs if anything happens.

I am not at all certain that this policy is still in effect. And I'm not sure if what you took the car in for really requires the car to be driven around or not. So it is certainly worth asking about; especially if it turns out the service manager is surprised to hear that it happened...employees shouldn't be taking the car just because it's there. But I'd let it pass if they are putting on mandated miles, or running some sort of test at home that requires them to check the car periodically.

7. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Yea, this isn't ok. It is unprofessional. I would want my car stored inside the service center or on their gated premises at night.

8. Todd Burch

Here's my car sitting in someone's driveway...instead of at the service center.

atHome.jpg

I'm not going to assume malice. I agree it seems fair that driving to/from work in the car instead of driving aimlessly makes sense if you're going to have to drive it anyway. However, I'm going to write first and ask what the deal is.

Regardless--and even though I gave permission for them to put some miles on the car--I think in the future they should explicitly ask about driving it to their home overnight. At the very least, this gives me the heebie jeebies. I automatically picture worst-case scenario in my head--a hothead service guy taking my car for a joyride...

Of course this may be completely innocent. But it doesn't bring me comfort.

9. JoshG

JoshG Member

#9 JoshG, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    I agree with most commenters here, and have to disagree with ChadS... this is definitely NOT OK unless the service team asked the customer. Insurance or not, a customer's property should not end up at an employee's home unless there's some specific need for watching the car overnight, AND that's explained to the customer and the customer agreed to this highly unusual request.
    I think the suggestion to honk the horn a whole lot tonight is a great one. At least the employee will know he's been busted and it will be interesting to hear what you're told when you pick up the car tomorrow. DEFINITELY take a screen shot at a few different zoom levels and record the address or lat/long.

10. Todd Burch

Punch list:
    -Inverter fault (seems to be a software/firmware glitch)
    -Intermittent flashing right turn signal (possible bad LED board?)
    -Well-known rattling wire harness behind pano roof in headliner.

I actually called Tesla on Saturday. Service center was closed, but the Tesla guy told me that it appeared as though my service case was closed.

I'll be sending an email to service momentarily to find out what's going on...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking of going over the service center's head to email Tesla HQ about this. Is that a bad idea? On one hand, I don't want to make a big deal of nothing, if that's what it is. On the other hand, if something fishy's going on here, I wouldn't want it to be "covered up" by reporting it to the fishy people...

11. DrDave

DrDave Member

Definitely report it at a level above the service center. Force an explanation to be made.

12. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Heck you're assuming it was taken home by a tech. Maybe it was stolen? Personally I might call the cops and have them check it out. Car was supposed to be in for service, your tracking shows it at xxxx address. Tell them you don't know if it was stolen or what. A police report will make some changes faster than a simple complaint. Have them go knock on the door and find out what's going on...

13. JoshG

JoshG Member

I was just going to post the same thing. The more I think about it, this is really unusual and there's a non-zero chance the car has actually been stolen. If it were my car in some strange location that wasn't where I left it and no one asked to take it there, I think I'd call the police and describe the situation. Don't be alarmist, but say that your car was dropped off for service but tonight it is at a residential address... may have been stolen from the service center after hours.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I would ask for an explanation, but don't go in with the attitude that you need to "force" one out of them, just ask.
    Another possibility, I heard the Chicago service is basically full. They have so many cars waiting for delivery that they are running out of room. Perhaps it is a similar situation and they simply don't have space for it.

I do agree though that they should have explicitly asked your permission to drive and park it off site overnight.

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

FWIW, this was never practiced for the 6 home visits or 3 NYC visits my Roadster had from 10/2010 to 10/2012, nor has it been the practice for the few times my Model S has been in.

16. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

I've actually had mechanics take my car home overnight before when they were having a hard time recreating issues. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they just tell me afterwords. It's definitely helped solve the problem on a few occasions (like a horrible geartrain whine after the car is warm and climbing a steep hill).

17. Todd Burch

I'm not too concerned about it being stolen at this point--I'd rather hear from the service center first. While a police report would light fires quickly, I don't want to unnecessarily involve law enforcement or get anyone in trouble at this point. I don't have enough information--it could be that they really are testing the fixes to make sure everything's good.

Either way, in the future Tesla should get explicit permission from the owner for this. I've emailed GeorgeB (hope I got his email address right) to see if he can clarify policy on this. I'll contact the service center in the morning to find out what's going on.

18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

While I agree the service center should have explicitly checked with you first, I'm just having a hard time getting worked up on this one. It's pretty normal practice for a service person to put some miles on the car - and if they can get the miles on by driving it home and back (vs. waiting until tomorrow), that seems like a smart thing to do.

I would not even consider calling law enforcement or filing a police report. The car is in the care of the service center. If anything happens to it, it's on their dime. Why not wait until tomorrow and then ask the service center manager if they knew it went home with the mechanic.

They know you have an app that tracks the car (and odds are high they've already been alerted to these posts). I really don't see this as unacceptable. It's not like you found out they were joyriding or discovered a stack of empty pizza boxes and crushed beer cans in the car.

19. Todd Burch

Completely agree, Bonnie...like I said, I'm not going to assume malice. I emailed GeorgeB to notify him of it, ask Tesla's policy on that, and recommend that in the future technicians get permission from the owner when they're going to do this.

Certainly I'm going to avoid the police report/horn honking...

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I had the beta app and when my car went up to Chicago, I noticed it at a weird address as well -- not the service center, but rather a place that was a steel warehouse. I dropped a note to the service manager and found out that it was a place that Tesla took it for safekeeping. Just ask, it never hurts.