TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobile battery pack swapping?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by GJMcManus, Jul 31, 2013.

1. GJMcManus

GJMcManus Member

I know swapping is possible with fancy robots to accomplish it in 90 seconds. Would it be possible to manually remove and replace the pack?

Are any specifics known about battery temp control lines? With the automated change system what about all the connectors? Could the battery that is removed be charged out of the vehicle?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated..

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

It's certainly theoretically possible, since it's done at the service centers, but it's not easy. The folks at the SC say the battery's weight on its own makes it difficult to maneuver around to complete the installation.

3. GJMcManus

GJMcManus Member

As the idea guy for an attempt at breaking current EV cross country record. I am trying to explore every angle not only to beat it, but smash it.

One of my many ideas is use a flat bed trailer equipped to handle the weight of raising and lowering the pack and still allowing access to the necessary fasteners.

This way we can use a smaller generator to charge depleted pack to full charge while traveling to next swap point.. Hopefully, it will allow under 30 minute exchange and take advantage of 3-4 hour drive/charge time..

4. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

The truck with integrated lift sounds like a good idea. The two questions I would want answered:

1. Is the battery "mated" to the car? e.g., do you have to program the car to take a new battery serial number.
    2. Is topping off coolant necessary with a battery swap. I have only seen disconnected batteries twice, and there was some spillled coolant around the quick release hoses.

I think in another thread you were considering how to deal with DC fast charge, which is something else you'll have to resolve.

5. GJMcManus

GJMcManus Member

I thought it might be better to separate the threads and issues..

With 3-4 hour drive/charge time makes charging issue a little more manageable. Even though it adds another layer of complexity and more points of failure..