Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger - Amps Changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I have had my model 3 for about a week now - I noticed when I first used the mobile charger I got 12AMPs from the 15AMP plug. (Which is what the manual says AU 15 Plug = 12A 2.6 kW)

Today when I plugged it in I got 15AMPS an can confirm from my solar consumption it was drawing the 15amps. The car allows me to change amps between 5 to 15AMPS now.

I have done no updates between using the charger - how come it has suddenly changed?

Does anyone use the mobile charger and confirm the amps have changed??

Is this just a glitch or a happy little surprise?

Some country's have limitations on continuous loads. For example in the US a 15 Amp circuit is only allowed to be continuously loaded with 80%, therefore the 12 Amp limit. I guess once the charger realizes it's being used in AUS it unlocks the full 15 Amp charging current.

Think it's more they realised that rule didn't apply in Australia.
FYI it only applies to post mid-2021 tails that are marked 15 15A and 10 10A.

Earlier Tesla's shipped with tails marked 15 12A and 10 8A and haven't got the speed bump, so i suspect it's a minor hardware change (different resistor as is normally used for these things) and the software update just tells the UMC how to read the new resistor

Earlier Tesla's shipped with tails marked 15 12A and 10 8A and haven't got the speed bump

It's just the tails. My 2019 Model 3 LR came with a UMC Gen 2 with the tails stamped with 8A/12A. Swapped on some 10A/15A stamped tails from a 2022 Model 3 and it started charging at 10A/15A immediately, so guessing if there is a firmware update required, my UMC already received it in the past.

It's just the tails. My 2019 Model 3 LR came with a UMC Gen 2 with the tails stamped with 8A/12A. Swapped on some 10A/15A stamped tails from a 2022 Model 3 and it started charging at 10A/15A immediately, so guessing if there is a firmware update required, my UMC already received it in the past.

I didn’t know Gen 2 UMC could do that - I thought you needed both new tails and Gen 3.

Tesla doesn’t seem to sell the tails just by themselves, unfortunately, otherwise I’d swap mine.

No such thing, the mobile connector is either gen 1 (three-phase capable, came with 10A tail) or gen 2 (single phase only, comes with 10A and 15A tails)

You may be confused with the wall connector, which has three generations.

I misspoke - I meant Gen 2 UMC that came with 2021+ Teslas, and not older Gen 2 UMCs.

I just (incorrectly) assumed the newer UMCs might be a dot version hardware update that supported 10/10 and 15/15A tails, and that it wasn’t just the tails.

What is the circuit and breaker rating ?
OP may have s/w that now recognizes the new 'tails' but that does not make it safe to charge at 15 Amp

Presuming that Aus and the USA follow +/- the same electric code, at least 12 AWG and a 20 Amp breaker are needed.

Presuming that Aus and the USA follow +/- the same electric code, at least 12 AWG and a 20 Amp breaker are needed.
I'm no sparkie, but I believe a 15A outlet on a dedicated circuit can be done to code with a 16A (or 15A, if they made them) breaker. The 'headroom' of breakers is a US thing where breakers need to be rated 20% higher. I don't believe we do this in Australia.

And the wiring size depends on the length. My HPWC uses 6mm for a 10m run. You would probably need beefier for a longer run, and perhaps less for back-to-back installs (just guessing - as always get a sparkie to do it correctly).

15 AMP circuit is by code to be a dedicated circuit back to the switch board.

But in my case it was an old circuit that has been upgraded to have 15amp socket. So I will just limit my max charge to 12 Amps.

But for the 10Amp plug - this is good news! Having it go from 8 to 10 will be great for when going to peoples places etc.

15 AMP circuit is by code to be a dedicated circuit back to the switch board.

But in my case it was an old circuit that has been upgraded to have 15amp socket. So I will just limit my max charge to 12 Amps.

But for the 10Amp plug - this is good news! Having it go from 8 to 10 will be great for when going to peoples places etc.

As an electrician, most 15A sockets are wired to dedicated circuit breaker in the SB. However, there is no actual requirement to do so. It's simply the fact that if you are installing a 15A socket, there must be an appliance plugging into it thats likely to draw 15A and you are going to wire it assuming that that current will be continuous. It's more than likely that the cabling, all things being equal, will still just be 2.5mm2 unless a large distance is invloved. Plugging in something that draws 15A on a socket that was originally wired for 10A is unlikely to cause a safety issue as generally, all outlets are wired in minimum 2.5mm2 and protected by a CB that is rated for the 2.5mm2 cable. After all, half a house with 15 double 10A outlets is still generally wired to one 16 or 20A CB.

Obviously if there are other things on the circuit, you will get nusiance overcurrent tripping.

And, not meaning to be annoying, but in Australia, there is no electrical "Code". Each state has an Electrical Act, from which how to follow it are defined in each states "Electrical Regulations", each Electrical Regulation refers technical details to the Australian & New Zealand Standard AS/NZS:3000, known as the "Wiring Rules". Australian wiring rules have a lot less specifics about what you can and can't do unlike what I read in the US. We appear to maintain electrical safety by rules based on formulas while leaving actual "ingenunity" up to the electrician and electrical engineers. For instance, rather that checking what circuit breaker must be used with what cable, I would work out what the maximum current draw will be, pick a circuit breaker above that, then check what size cable will flow the current of the CB (After all, the CB protects the cable, not the appliance), check the length of the run to make sure voltage drop isn't an issue and a bigger cable required for that, then check the fault loop impeedance. All of this is up to me, no particular circuit breaker is written in the wiring rules. Obviously this is an over simplification, but gives a good idea of how our system works.

Last edited:
Tesla doesn’t seem to sell the tails just by themselves, unfortunately, otherwise I’d swap mine.

You can create a service ticket to order them. 15A was approx $68 delivered.

Screenshot_20230121-104346.png

I think the labour was the postage and handling cost. Could be cheaper to pick up.

Obviously this is an over simplification, but gives a good idea of how our system works
Thanks. It's always interesting how much Code/Rules differed between countries and even US States.

Obviously Australia is one of the strictest in terms of DIY (almost totally prohibiting it), despite NZ allowing it under the same rules.
But equally we seem quite slapdash with bare wire everywhere and often no wall boxes, versus other places that seem particularly focussed on boxes. And then you've got the UK with their rings

Thanks. It's always interesting how much Code/Rules differed between countries and even US States.

Obviously Australia is one of the strictest in terms of DIY (almost totally prohibiting it), despite NZ allowing it under the same rules.
But equally we seem quite slapdash with bare wire everywhere and often no wall boxes, versus other places that seem particularly focussed on boxes. And then you've got the UK with their rings

Yes, I like looking around at what other countries do, hard to do for countries that don't have English for a first language. The UK seems to have many more rules than Australia, yet still seems similar, much better plug design, if bulky for 13A sockets. The appliance cords are properly protected with fuses. But then have OTT crazy stuff for zones where you can run cables in walls, and no power points in bathrooms! We have fully insulated earth for the entire length of the cable (so does Ireland) yet the UK still has uninsulated earths that require you to add your own at each termination point! Good knowledgable UK electricians don't install ring circuits, its a stupid layover from times when copper was being restricted during WW2. The UK would do well to outlaw those circuits going forward.

The US varies from state to state and even city to city. My biggest wow is the overuse of metal conduit and cold war looking electrical switchboards in domestic applications.

If I were to pick on Australian electrical installs, it would be the horrible cheap switchboards that are common, in both domestic and light industrial.

Reactions: johnchidgey