Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger Chassis Holder Lock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of Gen 2 mobile charger chassis holder that has a way to keep the charger itself locked to the wall? I would have a thought there might be a 3rd party holder out there that does just that but I haven't been able to find any.

We have no garage and I've been using my pre-existing JuiceBox wall charger (which can't be easily removed) but I wanted to just use the stock Gen 2 charger that came with my M3 for convenience's sake. I realize the odds of someone trying to steal the charger seem pretty slim but 1) it'd be out there in the open, off the side of our house, and 2) this neighborhood gets patrolled by porch pirates pretty often so I wouldn't put it past someone trying to make off with one.

Seem like a lot of the aftermarket brackets you have to slide in the fat part of the chassis down from top, as there are either partial or full band across the front to hold it against the wall. So that conceals the mounting screws for the bracket. Now all you have to do is have something sleek across the top of the chassis to keep anyone from sliding it upwards.

Maybe use this 3D-printed bracket, there's a top and bottom bracket (though oddly they don't fully show the top bracket), either could work:

Tesla Model S Mobile Charger Mounting Bracket by bezuercher

Drill a large hole in the excess plastic towards the front top of the bracket, where you can lock a padlock or cable lock through it the bulk of the lock blocking the top of the chassis from tilting forward. Thus it can't be tilted clear of the top bracket enough to be pulled out of whatever mount you choose.

Or alternatively, back in the old days before the plethora of third-party mounts, I remember seeing a few folks found a wallmount wire basket that just fit the chassis, to hold it against the wall to provide strain relief on the pigtail. Once again, the right wire basket would be just tall enough that you could loop a padlock or cable lock though part of the wire basket across the open top end, preventing the chassis from being slid out of the basket. I can't find any pictures now, but hopefully you get the idea....

EDIT:; Maybe even simpler, find any sort of locking outdoor cable enclosure box, like for utility demarcation, that mounts to the wall, that you can pass a portion of the cable through just below the chassis, thus the chassis on one side and the plug on the other prevents the unit from being slid out. Most like this one seem to have only holes on the bottom (as they don't want rain to come in from the top), but I'm sure you could cut a hole easily on the other end

Outdoor cable utility box

Last edited: