Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mobile Charger Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wiki

Mar 21, 2016
Please note: the following table looks best in a browser on your desktop PC.

Model S
United States
t.b.d.
-> any US citizen knowing what types of mobile chargers are available there? Feel free to update here or post in the discussions page.

Europe
Comparison of popular mobile chargers in Europa (no responsibility can be taken for any of the information provided here, please verify before ordering anything).

Many thanks to everyone who was contributing input (especially Philipp_M)

Please let me know if you have more information and/or find errors here!

Tesla UMCwallb-e to gocrOhm mobilJucie Booster 1
max. Charging power11kW 22kW22kW (up to 48kW, if CEE63, on request only)22kW
Costsca. 700 EUR?756 EURca. 1500 EUR748 EUR
Measurementsmost compact30cm x 20cm x 17cm30.1cm x 21.1cm x 10.8cm12.5 cm x 9 cm x 26.5 cm
Weightmost lightweight (probably less then 1kg without the cable)4kg4.5kg2kg (5.6kg including Cables)
Amperage settingin-car onlyScrewdriver needed, in the casingin-car onlyButtons on outside
change amperage while chargingin-car onlyyesin-car onlyin-car only
CaseAlu/PlasticMetal, very robustMetalMetal und rubber, overrun tested
ProtectionIP44IP67IP44IP67
3 Phasesyesyesyesyes
1 Phaseyesyesyesyes
32Anoyesyesyes
20Anoyesin-car settingin-car setting
16Ayesyesin-car settingyes
13Ain-car settingyesin-car settingyes
10Ain-car settingyesin-car settingyes
8Ain-car settingin-car settingin-car settingyes
6Ain-car settingyesin-car settingin-car setting
RCD / Type Bno / nooptional (+ 300 EUR) / yesyes / ?no / no
Ground testyes (not in the Norwegion version)yesyesno
power meternooptional (+1kg, +135 EUR)nono
webservernoyesnono
CAN busnonoyesno
Shore connectorCEE16, 3 PhasesCEE32, 3 PhasesCEE32, 3 PhasesCEE32, 3 Phases
Car connectorType 2Type 2Type 2Type 2
ExtrasTesla DesignWebserver (RJ45), FI, power meterCAN Busoverrun proof
Linkhttp://shop.teslamotors.comhttp://wallb-e.jimdo.com/shop/http://crohm.euhttp://www.e-driver.net
Roadster
United States
t.b.d.
-> any US citizen knowing what types of mobile chargers are available for the Roadster? Feel free to update here or post in the discussions page.

Europe
t.b.d.
-> any EU citizen knowing what types of mobile chargers are available for the Roadster? Feel free to update here or post in the discussions page.

Sure, I'll translate it in english, no prob. But looks like I won't get edit rights that easily. I submitted a request through the TMC contact form, maybe that's the correct way to request permission.

Edit: I already got the permissions a few hours later. Was very quick reaction from TMC. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, this is very helpful. Does anyone know what is the point of the "FI" on the wallb-e to-go? When I contacted Wallb-e they told me it was necessary to get a version with Fi A 40/0, 03A (EV), but there's quite a heafty price premium for that option, so I would like to know what it's for, especially since I see here that none of the other chargers seem to have any FI at all...

It is recommended to use an FI type B because otherwise the car could render the FI of your house temporarily useless. This seems to be especially important if you have a Renault Zoe which seem to be prone to such a problem. Not so much with the Tesla. Since I am no electrician I don't have a good explanation, sorry. Its just what I unterstand from the german discussion: TFF Forum Thema anzeigen - Mobiler 22 kWh-Lader!

I can see it has been a while since the comparison was made for these mobile chargers.
How do you compare the features of the Keba KeContact P20 with the features of the other chargers in your table?
Are there Tesla owners in Europe that have add a 3 phase plug to the KeContact P20 to become a mobile version or is there a specific reason why Keba doesn't want to offer it in a mobile version?

Chargers in the wiki Table:
- all three are portable ("mobile")
- features: see wiki table
I now own both the Tesla UMC and the Juice Booster. Both do their Job just fine, but the Tesla UMC is astonishingly elegant and compact (feels like 5 times more compact than the Juice Booster which is already quite well designed compared to the rest).

vs. KeContact:
- wall mounted, WxHxD: 240x495x163 mm without cable (quite large and bulky which is probably why you wouldn't want to buy a mobile version of it)
- features:
- up to 22kW charging (3 phase)
- no RCD
- no power meter

Are there Tesla owners in Europe that have add a 3 phase plug to the KeContact P20 to become a mobile version or is there a specific reason why Keba doesn't want to offer it in a mobile version?

Oh ok, now I get the question: What you are saying is that since its a wall-mounted connector it doesn't have a plug at all. No I haven't read anybody to add a plug, probably because it would not be very handy to carry with you (it has something like 12 times the volume of the Tesla UMC!) and weighs already 5kg without the cabling.

Oh ok, now I get the question: What you are saying is that since its a wall-mounted connector it doesn't have a plug at all. No I haven't read anybody to add a plug, probably because it would not be very handy to carry with you (it has something like 12 times the volume of the Tesla UMC!) and weighs already 5kg without the cabling.
Yes, in the meantime I also figured out that a modified KeContact P20 wouldn't be a good mobile solution. Your argumentation is correct and over more it's not convenient that whenever you want to change the Amp you have to open it up and play with the dip switches.

Isn't there a 22kW option for the Tesla UMC, provided your car has dual chargers?

It seems 11 kW is maximum: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/en_EU/installation_guide_umc_red_eu.pdf

I wish we could have quad chargers in the Model S (and X and III and ...). That could give 43 kW charging, or about 200 km/h charging. Considering that supercharging tapers off anyway, the difference isn't that much.

Renault Zoe already has 43 kW AC (maybe that is why it fries some older 22 kW charging stations!)

Isn't there a 22kW option for the Tesla UMC, provided your car has dual chargers?

It seems 11 kW is maximum: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/en_EU/installation_guide_umc_red_eu.pdf

I wish we could have quad chargers in the Model S (and X and III and ...). That could give 43 kW charging, or about 200 km/h charging. Considering that supercharging tapers off anyway, the difference isn't that much.

Renault Zoe already has 43 kW AC (maybe that is why it fries some older 22 kW charging stations!)
Not from Tesla unfortunately. But there is a new third-party option available, at least for 3-phase networks like in Europe or Asia: Juice Booster 2 - YouTube