Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger Gen 1 repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I was having AC charging problems but a trip to the local service center said the problem was not onboard the car (whew).

Backstory: My home charging since I've owned the car is a 14-50 outlet in my garage with my mobile charger connected to it. Been off the plug maybe 6 times since I've owned the car and has been perfect. For the last year my button on the handle would not open the charge port. Actually thought that was a software bug or something because it works fine at superchargers.

Well about the last month I have a green light on my mobile charger but when I plug it in the car will accept the plug but no light will come on. Car says 'no power connected, check charger' or something like that. But I unplug it and try again it turns blue and is ready to charge. Some days I'm lucky and it works the first time. Other times it take seven or eight plug ins.

I went and bought another Gen1 charger on eBay because there are some days my S needs the full 40amps instead of the Gen2 limited at 32, however I typically charge in the 20s just because I don't need the power intake stress.

Does anyone or any company repair or service mobile chargers? I feel like it's probably a loose connection somewhere or maybe a dirty contact pin since I can draw a 40amp charge. It's just not reliably when I plug in to play the charging port lotto. :) Didn't want to really try messing with electrical contact spray cleaner on the mobile charger.

I'd like to keep the old one as a backup because when it does work, it works fine. Thanks for any leads.