Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, still seems to be $275 at Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle.

$200 is not a bad deal for such a flexible EVSE when coupled with the Gen 2 NEMA Adapters you can buy.
Except it's out of stock and has been for a while.

And on the subject of usage - everyone that I know that has a Tesla uses the mobile connector to charge with at home, myself included. I'm not sure how Tesla can get data on which connector is being used - but it's pretty crappy that they continue to raise prices AND eliminate items*, especially something as important as this....

* And yes I know they are supposedly adding things like double-paned rear windows and cargo panels.

I am guessing that Elon is using the savings from this money grab to fund his pursuit of Twitter? :p
Really..... He is spreading himself too thin these days. Would like to see him step down as CEO if he's going to be focusing on nonsense like buying Twitter. He can remain as Techno King or whatever he wants to be called. But he's getting a little too 'out there' to be running a company with the valuation of Tesla these days. Full Disclosure: I generally have a man crush on Elon but he's testing my patience currently... 😏

I think this is a mistake for Tesla. This is akin to an ICE manufacturer selling the gas door key as an option. Tesla is currently riding a wave with an almost monopoly on EVs. They currently are the 2nd most profitable (per vehicle) company and really don't need to push that further. They DO need to be thinking of the future when they will have real competition and fix their communication issues, customer service issues, proprietary parts philosophy, excessive parts and labor costs, etc. Some fixes will be forthcoming by way of aftermarket parts and services. In this case I'm sure there will be various companies offering alternative chargers.

And on the subject of usage - everyone that I know that has a Tesla uses the mobile connector to charge with at home, myself included. I'm not sure how Tesla can get data on which connector is being used - but it's pretty crappy that they continue to raise prices AND eliminate items*, especially something as important as this....

* And yes I know they are supposedly adding things like double-paned rear windows and cargo panels.
We're still waiting for those upgrades, and I'm not even mentioning Matrix headlights for LR versions.

I'm fine with the connector going away (and having to fork extra dollars for it), but at least give us the Chinese version upgrades (headlights, cargo cover, double-paned rear windows).

I'd love to see these "statistics" that prove the mobile connector is barely used. This is the primary way I charge at home. It does everything I want without having to purchase a full wall unit, as I don't see any advantage to buying the wall unit. I installed a 50A outlet, and it is easy to use. Granted, I have never used it while on the road, but I do use my J1772 adapter 2-3 times a week with SemaConnect chargers. I think this is a bad move, and is easy to make because "they can", and their monopolistic ways will continue until this market changes on all fronts.

What adapters do you need to plug in at non Tesla charging stations?
For public Level 1/2 charging stations, you only need the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter. This adapter is still included with every Tesla vehicle as far as I am aware. Additional J1772 adapters can be purchased from the Tesla store for $50 in case you lose it or want a second adapter (one for the vehicle if you use one to charge at home.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert

While I agree that this move will leave a bad taste in people's mouths, the fact that it's currently out-of-stock points to the underlying cause. With everything in short supply these days, many businesses are faced with the choice of raising prices or delivering less.

Tesla could have said we are going to lower the overall price of the car by the cost of the connector, and that would have also helped alleviate supplies shortages. However, I don't recall a company ever taking that particular option. Most businesses in all industries seem to prefer to deliver less for the same price. (A third option, raising the price by the amount of the connector, would be the worse of both worlds: it would aggravate buyers, and it would not help the supply constrain for those who are trying to buy a replacement or an extra one.)

I have seen companies do this for years. For example, I remember most ice cream used to come in 2-liter containers before the 2008; then, they switched to 1.75-liter containers. Recently, 1.5-liter became the new standard size.

Until I just looked up a reference for this phenomenon, I didn't realize it has a name. It's called "shrinkflation".

"On the (minor) plus side, we will be including more plug adapters with the mobile connector kit."
Musk can't seriously think that's a plus, can he? People don't need more plug adapters for outlets they don't have and won't encounter, they need an adapter for the situation they have at home/work/cottage. Getting an additional 2 adapters for the same price isn't a benefit if those 2 adapters will lay unused in the garage. If I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, that's the only adapter I need -- any more isn't a "plus", it's wasteful.

This is both disappointing and, I think, shameful. It's almost as if they're trying to encourage buyers (especially first time EV buyers) to go with a different brand.

And on the subject of usage - everyone that I know that has a Tesla uses the mobile connector to charge with at home, myself included.
I don't use the Mobile Connector because the charging cord is too short for my needs. I had originally intended to use the Mobile Connector and purchased the 14-50 plug adapter but could not make it work due to the length of the cord. I keep the Mobile Connector as a backup. For home charging I use an AmazingE (made by ClipperCreek) 32 amp EVSE with a 25 foot charging cord. (The price has gone up almost $100 since 2020 when I purchased my AmazingE EVSE with NEMA 14-50 plug.)

AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 plug, Connector Holster, Cable Wrap Bundle

OK, so as I'm currently waiting for my first tesla I'm trying to understand what this means exactly. I was under the assumption that this mobile charger kit that came with the car not only allowed for the NEMA plug in our homes for home charging, but also was a way to charge on the road when we ran low and were visiting somewhere that didn't have charging setup, or we had to find a charging spot that didn't happen to be a Tesla charging station. So now if we really need to pay attention to our battery percent in relation to the nearest Tesla charger or home. Or pay for the mobile charger. I'm sure at some point I'll figure out the whole battery range thing but with my first electric vehicle this will be interesting for a while..

Terrible move. Now you have to order a separate charger if you have a NEMA 14-50 plug installed?

Btw, Apple still included the cord, just not the plug that attaches to the wall.
Yeah, the Apple comparison is invalid

They still include the cable. Their argument for not including the wall charger was that iPhone users already have a ton of USB charging devices around their house. This is true. You have USB ports on anything from TVs to laptops.. and way too many other devices to name. It's practically impossible to walk around your house and not be able to locate an unused USB port.

And look.. admittingly I'm one of the people who don't use the mobile charger that came with my Y. We have not just one, but two wall chargers at home hardwired to 60A breakers. It's the fastest way to charge our EVs at home.. and we decided upfront to make a future-proof investment in a dedicated setup for these vehicles. That said the mobile charger stays in our vehicles at all times for emergencies. The mobile charger is your lifeline and should not be able to make a Supercharger.. or any public charger for that reason. The mobile charger is what allows you to use any common outlet when your battery is that low. This isn't ICE where someone can show up with a can of gas and bail you out. That mobile charger may very well be the difference between you being stuck for a couple of hours while charging slowly.. or you waiting on a tow truck as your battery is completely dead.

Finally here is why Elon's excuse is bullshit. If you are really dropping the mobile charger because your research says that most people don't use it.. then LOWER the price of the vehicle by whatever amount the mobile charger costs. If Tesla charges $400 for the mobile charger.. then every Tesla sold without the mobile charger should be $400 cheaper. Those who still want the mobile charger can now purchase it as $400 option.

Tesla already has the highest average margin on every vehicle they sell and has a year-long waitlist of people wanting to buy their vehicles Removing the mobile charger is pure greed at this point. I felt the same way when they removed other items like floor mats, bag hooks, garage door opener, etc.

This is also why worshipping a corporation.. ANY corporation is stupid. At the end of the day.. what they really care about is profit. And their greed is never-ending.

Last edited:
OK, so as I'm currently waiting for my first tesla I'm trying to understand what this means exactly.
Somehow the 14-50 plug became known as the NEMA plug but this is not correct. All power plugs used in North America are National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) plugs. The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector accepts a range of 120V and 240V NEMA power plug adapters. You select the specific power plug adapter to match your receptacle when charging.

When you charge a Tesla vehicle using either the Tesla Wall Connector, Tesla Mobile Connector or Tesla Supercharger you don't need to use an adapter.

When you charge a Tesla vehicle using a non-Tesla charging station that has a J1772 charging connector (as found on most public Level 2 charging stations) you need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla vehicle. This small part can also be purchased for $50 from the Tesla online store if you lose it or want to keep one at home (because you use a non-Tesla charging station at home) and one in the vehicle.

To charge a Tesla vehicle using a DC Fast Charger station that has a CHAdeMO charging connector you need to use the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (no longer sold.) Nissan, a few other EV manufacturers that previously used the CHAdeMO charging connector for EVs sold in North America are now moving away from CHAdeMO as a charging standard in the US (CHAdeMo is still very popular in Asia.)

To charge a Tesla vehicle using a DC Fast Charger that has a combined charging system (CCS) charging connector you need a Tesla CCS adapter (this adapter is still coming to the US, currently available in South Korea.) Note that the CCS charging standard in the US is different from the CCS standard used in the UK and Europe. Tesla vehicles sold in the UK and Europe use this non-US version of the CCS charging connector.

For charging the Tesla vehicle at home you can use either the Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector. The Tesla Mobile Connector is no longer included so you would have to purchase this from Tesla for $275 for the kit that comes with the standard NEMA 5-15 plug adapter (fits the standard 120V/15 amp receptacle found in the home.) Additional power plug adapters are available from Tesla, cost between $35 and 45$ each.

The Tesla Wall Connector currently costs $495 US and is designed to be hard wired (no plug) into any 120V or 240V charging circuit that is rated between 15 amps and 60 amps. At first glance the Wall Connector may appear to be more expensive than the Mobile Connector but when you add up the cost of all of the additional components needed to use the Tesla Mobile Connector with, for example, the NEMA 14-50 receptacle the Wall Connector is actually less expensive than using the Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle now that you have to purchase the Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
OK, so as I'm currently waiting for my first tesla I'm trying to understand what this means exactly. I was under the assumption that this mobile charger kit that came with the car not only allowed for the NEMA plug in our homes for home charging, but also was a way to charge on the road when we ran low and were visiting somewhere that didn't have charging setup, or we had to find a charging spot that didn't happen to be a Tesla charging station. So now if we really need to pay attention to our battery percent in relation to the nearest Tesla charger or home. Or pay for the mobile charger. I'm sure at some point I'll figure out the whole battery range thing but with my first electric vehicle this will be interesting for a while..

When I got my MY LR last June, it came with a Gen 2 mobile connector but only included a 110V plug. I would have had to buy separate adapters to use it with a ~220V outlet, like a NEMA 14-50. (Adapter page in Tesla shop)

I ended up buying a used Gen 1 mobile connector from someone on this forum instead, and it came with both the 5-15 and the 14-50 plugs. You can still find those on eBay, and they allow you to charge at up to 40A from a 14-50 outlet, instead of the Gen 2's 32A limit. I ended up dialing mine back to 32A in the car anyway, because 40A gets it pretty hot, and I read the reason the newer ones have a lower top limit is that the older ones were more likely to catch fire at 40A.

You are correct that you could use the mobile connector to charge at Level 2 speeds, but you would have to buy one of the NEMA adapters extra to do that. Even without an adapter, it is nice to take with you on vacation or to visit family, to get a few extra miles overnight plugged into a regular outlet. However, it's not going to make or break a road trip. You would still need to either Supercharge, or stay overnight where there is a Level 2 charger available.

Despite all the "nickel-and-diming" that Tesla does, I still love my Model Y, and I hope you enjoy yours when you get it, too!

Reactions: KK in CT
Crap.

Rather than charging for the mobile connector they should have offered a discount if you opt out of getting it. I already had a wall mounted L2 charger, and a good portable L1/L2 adjustable amperage charge cable for trips so I didn't really need another one from Tesla, and I would have appreciated the option to "opt out" of the Mobile connector if they had offered a discount for doing so... but to not have it as standard equipment is insane. It would have been much better PR to keep it as standard equipment (covered by the next price hike) and offer the opt out discount.

Keith