Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For charging the Tesla vehicle at home you can use either the Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector.
Or, for charging at home you can use any EVSE on the market, and use the J1772 adaptor -- you don't need to buy a Tesla-specific unit. You might not want a Tesla-specific unit if you have (or anticipate having) a different brand EV in your household, now or in the future. You can also plug into any outlet, if you buy the cable with the correct plug, but it doesn't come with any fancy extras (WiFi, scheduling, monitoring, etc).......That's how I charge at my cottage, where I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage.

Or, for charging at home you can use any EVSE on the market, and use the J1772 adaptor -- you don't need to buy a Tesla-specific unit. You might not want a Tesla-specific unit if you have (or anticipate having) a different brand EV in your household, now or in the future. You can also plug into any outlet, if you buy the cable with the correct plug, but it doesn't come with any fancy extras (WiFi, scheduling, monitoring, etc).......That's how I charge at my cottage, where I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage.
Considering all Tesla charges are sold out this is the only option.

As a 2 Tesla vehicle owner, we use both mobile connectors daily since they are mounted and plugged into 14-50 outlets. On road trips we take one in the car. Hard to believe Tesla sees much upside to their decision to exclude mobile chargers from their vehicles. On the other hand, it’s appalling to me that Tesla is proceeding with this decision and I predict will be reversed. Many owners out there who depend on their mobile connectors for a variety of reasons. I wish Elon would focus more time on improving vehicle quality control and spend less time on Twitter and getting himself on the next news cycle.

What adapters do you need to plug in at non Tesla charging stations?
A Tesla comes with a J1772 adaptor which Is the universal Level 2 charger standard.

Non Tesla fast chargers have standardized on CCS (mostly) and there is no Tesla adaptor for CCS available in the US yet. I’ve heard there is one coming.

There is a third fast charging standard out there but it’s only used by the Leaf and likely they won’t be around long.

I would certainly like to know this and if I now have to fork out another $500 for a wall charger. Ugh
As a 2 Tesla vehicle owner, we use both mobile connectors daily since they are mounted and plugged into 14-50 outlets. On road trips we take one in the car. Hard to believe Tesla sees much upside to their decision to exclude mobile chargers from their vehicles. On the other hand, it’s appalling to me that Tesla is proceeding with this decision and I predict will be reversed. Many owners out there who depend on their mobile connectors for a variety of reasons. I wish Elon would focus more time on improving vehicle quality control and spend less time on Twitter and getting himself on the next news cycle.
How much slower is it to use thst mobile connector over using the Tesla 48amp wall charger ? I’m opting for the wall charger. Waiting to install it in my garage. I would like a mobile connector for emergency use or if we go on vacation to a cabin or something. I don’t know why so many people freak out over something being an option. I don’t know if my order placed 3/16 will come with it or not.

How much slower is it to use thst mobile connector over using the Tesla 48amp wall charger ? I’m opting for the wall charger. Waiting to install it in my garage. I would like a mobile connector for emergency use or if we go on vacation to a cabin or something. I don’t know why so many people freak out over something being an option. I don’t know if my order placed 3/16 will come with it or not.
The wall connector at 48A is about 44mi/hr and the mobile connector at 240V and 32A is about 30mi/hr.

If you just need to charge overnight and plug in every night even when the battery isn’t empty then it makes no practical difference at all.

But if you need to recharge from empty to full during the day to head back out then the wall connector might make a difference.

I think this is a mistake for Tesla. This is akin to an ICE manufacturer selling the gas door key as an option. Tesla is currently riding a wave with an almost monopoly on EVs. They currently are the 2nd most profitable (per vehicle) company and really don't need to push that further. They DO need to be thinking of the future when they will have real competition and fix their communication issues, customer service issues, proprietary parts philosophy, excessive parts and labor costs, etc. Some fixes will be forthcoming by way of aftermarket parts and services. In this case I'm sure there will be various companies offering alternative chargers.
I'm guessing this is supply chain related, so they put the burden on sourcing a charger on the consumer. They'll spin it a different way, but I imagine they can't keep up with the demand.

As I said above, if it comes with a J1772 adapter, it would be less consequential. Without that, i honestly might refuse a delivery.

Yes, this is utter bullshitt. I am waiting for a Y and only drive 20-30 miles a day. I planned on using level one at home and at my parking garage (free) and now I will have to pay 400$ to do so. And not only that, but it is out of stock so I guess when I get my Y I'll just bring it home and leave it in the driveway until it I am able to have the privilege to pay 400 to order one. Garbage.

The wall connector at 48A is about 44mi/hr and the mobile connector at 240V and 32A is about 30mi/hr.

If you just need to charge overnight and plug in every night even when the battery isn’t empty then it makes no practical difference at all.

But if you need to recharge from empty to full during the day to head back out then the wall connector might make a difference.
Agreed. Which is why so many are perfectly fine with the mobile charger. Exclusively used on our past 4 teslas as we only top up about 50 miles per night.