Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…raising the price by the amount of the connector, would be the worse of both worlds: it would aggravate buyers, and it would not help the supply constrain for those who are trying to buy a replacement or an extra one.
And the recent vehicle price hikes were insufficient to cover the mobile connector costs? Several times over? Still going with “money grab” as the rationale.

Could be. But the severe skeptic in me says it’s a money grab…little if anything to do with supply chain issues so in vogue today as THE excuse for all non-deliveries.
In the automotive industry where every penny of cost reduction counts Tesla could easily lower their unit cost by removing the floor mats and the Gemini wheel covers yet they have not done this.

In the automotive industry where every penny of cost reduction counts Tesla could easily lower their unit cost by removing the floor mats and the Gemini wheel covers yet they have not done this.
Please don't give Elon any ideas to remove even more items from the existing and future configurations. IMO, Tesla doesn't give a damn about the buyers and will use every opportunity to charge you more for less.

The low end of the EVSE market has been claimed by off-shore manufactured Level 1 / Level 2 units capable of charging at 120V or 240V and up to 16 amps (requires a minimum of 20 amp circuit.) Once you start looking at 32 amp and 40 amp capable EVSE the selection thins out and the price is not any different than the $275 that Tesla charges for the Gen2 Mobile Connector. My only issue with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector is the 18 foot charging cord. Also, if it matters to you the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector does not support Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and does not by itself capture charging data.
The issue is availability... the Tesla Mobile charger is sold out. The other EVSEs on Amazon are not. ;)

Please don't give Elon any ideas to remove even more items from the existing and future configurations. IMO, Tesla doesn't give a damn about the buyers and will use every opportunity to charge you more for less.
…just like Apple (no more iPhone wall warts), Starkist (no more 7.5oz cans of tuna for you, just 5.5oz or 4.5oz), Disney (Anaheim just raised prices again, other parks to follow), most car manufacturers today (oh, you thought you were getting a spare tire?), Spartan Mosquito ProTech (replaces the Eradicator that lasted 90 days with the ProTech at higher cost lasting 30 days), etc. Nothing new: money grab. Shocking I know that the first potential trillionaire in history would pull this…just shocking!

Yes, this is utter bullshitt. I am waiting for a Y and only drive 20-30 miles a day. I planned on using level one at home and at my parking garage (free) and now I will have to pay 400$ to do so. And not only that, but it is out of stock so I guess when I get my Y I'll just bring it home and leave it in the driveway until it I am able to have the privilege to pay 400 to order one. Garbage.
You don’t have to Do or Buy anything. Future car sales would which is not you unless you simply want to complain for others.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aviateur17
Wall connector is hard wired to the home, you can't take it with you or plug it into an outlet.
Um...it would take me less than 30 minutes to remove the WC and cap the wires. It's pretty portable. Not as portable as the UMC, but way more portable than something like a garage door opener or central air conditioning unit. It's certainly something I wouldn't want to be mounting and umounting even every 2-3 months but if you only move once every 2 years, it's worth using.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My dad had to wait 3 months for wall connector installation. Thankfully, he was able to connect his mobile charger to his cloth dryer outlet and able to charge his M3 until he got his wall charger. WC installation takes time and money. Not providing portable chargers, especially to new EV owner is so irresponsible. Some folks will have to drive pretty far to find a supercharging station.
This is what happens when we don’t have a strong competition in the market. Terrible.

You don’t have to Do or Buy anything. Future car sales would which is not you unless you simply want to complain for others.
Based on the few articles I have seen sounds like there is a good chance they will stop including the mobile connector with all Teslas in the next few days-weeks which would include existing orders and if that is the case that is a really bad move. I know several tesla owners and every single one of them rely on this connector for daily charging at home as the tesla charger is more expensive with no real benefit and it is not mobile which is huge deal when you are far away from any public charging. So I don't believe one bit the statement that most customers don't use it. At the very least Tesla still needs to include this charger for existing orders as this essentially means extra $400 for already placed orders. Future orders as long as they are upfront with this I can understand even though I really believe this will make the first ev experience a lot more frustrating for many people. If they do have a shortage of them then they should be upfront about it and discount existing orders and deliver those chargers at later date.

Terrible move. Now you have to order a separate charger if you have a NEMA 14-50 plug installed?

Btw, Apple still included the cord, just not the plug that attaches to the wall.
Thanks a bummer. If it were a gasoline car, I guess Tesla would be charging extra for a gas cap :oops: Yes, I am just being stupidly sarcastic :)

Last edited:
Sad day. I know a ton of people who want to save some money and get a nema 14-50 plug and just pay for an adapter and thats it. Now, its worth it just to get a tesla wall charger and pray to God you never need a mobile charger when on road trips

I've been on chat with two reps from Tesla thus far and they basically end the chat as soon as you ask about the mobile connector and just say you can still buy it knowing that it's sold out. I asked about my order from October 2021 and they said it it will NOT include a mobile connector.

Honestly pathetic from Tesla. While I do have a Wall Connector, it would have been nice to have one in emergencies on the road.

So many cry babies 😂

I have 3 mobile connector bags just sitting in my garage that have never been used.

I don’t think we are being a cry babies. Mobile charger is still necessary equipment for any EVs. I don’t have a WC. I have been using mobile chargers at home for the last five years. So… I don’t drive with passengers 90% of the times... Is Elon going to remove passenger seats and make me purchase them later? Wait, I forgot. He already started this. He removed the homelink and charging $300.

I guess he needs money for tweeter. I hope he doesn’t try to buy Facebook. We may have to pay for steering wheels and tires after the purchase.
🤪

Competition? Sure, you only need to observe and experience the airline industry. All that competition and they still all charge the customer fees up the yang, provide lousy service and the food is barely edible on a good flight. They do this because the demand far exceeds supply and the airlines get away with it. Tesla is following a similar model unfortunately.