Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, for charging at home you can use any EVSE on the market, and use the J1772 adaptor -- you don't need to buy a Tesla-specific unit. You might not want a Tesla-specific unit if you have (or anticipate having) a different brand EV in your household, now or in the future. You can also plug into any outlet, if you buy the cable with the correct plug, but it doesn't come with any fancy extras (WiFi, scheduling, monitoring, etc).......That's how I charge at my cottage, where I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage.
I regreat installing the tesla wall connector this week in advance as a generic one would be more useful in not so far into the future.

1650242798682.png

I think there's a lot more usage than the company would like to admit. Not everyone fell into the "buy and install our name branded home EVSE" line as the company probably expected.
There are a ton of analogies to Apple removing the headphone jack (and headphones) and the charger from iPhones. Apple made up a bunch of BS about 'no one using corded headphones anymore' and 'the 3.5mm jack is old and obsolete.' In reality, these were just excuses they made up to justify removing them. The same goes with Tesla - they want to remove the mobile connector so they come up with a story that 'no one uses the mobile connector anyway' as an excuse to justify what they want to do.

If there's a supply shortage, fine. Come out and say it and ship them when they can get the parts. They could also give people a credit in the Tesla shop towards a wall connector or something else. Simply removing it outright is little more than a money grab.

There are a ton of analogies to Apple removing the headphone jack (and headphones) and the charger from iPhones. Apple made up a bunch of BS about 'no one using corded headphones anymore' and 'the 3.5mm jack is old and obsolete.' In reality, these were just excuses they made up to justify removing them. The same goes with Tesla - they want to remove the mobile connector so they come up with a story that 'no one uses the mobile connector anyway' as an excuse to justify what they want to do.

If there's a supply shortage, fine. Come out and say it and ship them when they can get the parts. They could also give people a credit in the Tesla shop towards a wall connector or something else. Simply removing it outright is little more than a money grab.
Agreed, this is Money grab plain and simple. Tesla should be ashamed of themselves

I don't understand why people are so worked up about the exclusion of a $200-500 piece of equipment and are calling it a "money grab". The BIG money grab is the $10k+ in price hikes in the last 12 months.

This company is really beginning to lose a lot of its luster, at least in my eyes. Maybe instead of including the mobile connecter I has planned on using to charge my car nightly for my 20 mile commute, Elon will give me a free premium Twitter account, because that's pertinent to his stated mission.

Reactions: Aviateur17
I don't understand why people are so worked up about the exclusion of a $200-500 piece of equipment and are calling it a "money grab". The BIG money grab is the $10k+ in price hikes in the last 12 months.
Because for many people waiting we have already made the decision that the product was worth the price at the time we ordered and for the equipment that was supposed to be included. Only to find out now after the fact, that Tesla is not going to deliver what they said they would.
In my book that's a Money Grab!

Because for many people waiting we have already made the decision that the product was worth the price at the time we ordered and for the equipment that was supposed to be included. Only to find out now after the fact, that Tesla is not going to deliver what they said they would.
It comes across as petty. Also, it's not like the mobile chargers are even available.

Has Tesla confirmed that this policy will be in effect for existing orders as opposed to only being applied to new orders?

I use my mobile charger every day to charge my Model Y. I will be very clear about this I currently have a Model 3 on order and if there is no mobile charger with the vehicle. It will be my last Tesla. The constant shorting of necessary equipment is frustrating and this one is the last straw for me.
Same here. I probably will cancel my Cyber Truck orders. I am also going to re-evaluate my current MY order. I don’t feel good about Tesla anymore. Pure and simple corporate greed.

The rep I spoke with couldn't even confirm that it was actually policy at all. Although he did acknowledge Elon's tweets. Poor employees. It must be like chasing a toddler around cleaning up his messes.
Do you get kicks from calling one of the richest man on earth a toddler? You really seem to be envious of him.

By the way I am feeling upset about this decision as much as next guy but I already own Tesla and have a charger so in the end I will be fine. If I didn’t have one I would order Wall charger or one of many 3rd party chargers on the market. Pretty sure this whole mess is about supply chain problems and not just simple money grab.