Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, do they do a lot of charging using their mobile connector away from home?

I've been driving pure BEVs since end of July 2013. The only time I've ever charged my BEV w/my EV's L1 120 volt EVSE (that's all they come with) at someone's home was to once test their outlet because they were thinking of getting a Chevy Volt.

The other times I've used my L1 120 volt EVSE away from home were ages ago when work had limited L2 J1772 handles so I'd just use the 120 volt NEMA 5-15 outlets as a courtesy to stay out of the way (and it was enough to replenish my round trip commute) or in the past, some free 120 volt outlets (now gone) near some formerly free L2 public charging while waiting in line. That all ended many years ago for me, as there's no longer a need for that and the latter outlets are gone.

I don't disagree that there's a subset of US Tesla drivers who use their mobile connector to charge at home a lot or is their primary means of charging (note I told people to do so instead of wasting $ installing a Tesla wall connector), but they likely do it at 240 volts, not 120 volts (so not NEMA 5-15 nor 5-20).

I don't know how large that subset is... I doubt it's 50% or higher but I doubt it's lower than 10%.
I use my mobile connector at our cabin. There's someone at work that plugs theirs in in the parking ramp. I think you're right that there's not a lot of people that use the mobile connector on 120V away from home but there are a lot of people who do use the mobile connector.

Another facet - did Tesla decide to do this expecting that more people would purchase the more expensive wall connector?

I've been driving pure BEVs since end of July 2013. The only time I've ever charged my BEV w/my EV's L1 120 volt EVSE (that's all they come with) at someone's home was to once test their outlet because they were thinking of getting a Chevy Volt.

The other times I've used my L1 120 volt EVSE away from home were ages ago when work had limited L2 J1772 handles so I'd just use the 120 volt NEMA 5-15 outlets as a courtesy to stay out of the way (and it was enough to replenish my round trip commute) or in the past, some free 120 volt outlets (now gone) near some formerly free L2 public charging while waiting in line. That all ended many years ago for me, as there's no longer a need for that and the latter outlets are gone.

I don't disagree that there's a subset of US Tesla drivers who use their mobile connector to charge at home a lot or is their primary means of charging (note I told people to do so instead of wasting $ installing a Tesla wall connector), but they likely do it at 240 volts, not 120 volts (so not NEMA 5-15 nor 5-20).

I don't know how large that subset is... I doubt it's 50% or higher but I doubt it's lower than 10%.
What does it matter if they use it away from home or not? Or whether they use it at 120V or 240V? That’s not the issue at hand here.

The fact is plenty of people use and rely on the mobile connector at home as their primary means of charging. They could never take it out of their house to use anywhere else but they are still using it nonetheless. So Elon claiming low usage rate doesn’t translate to what people are seeing in the real world. Everyone I know that owns a Tesla with at home charging is using the UMC that came with the car and not a wall connector or other L2 EVSE.

yes, all at home, even one of them has free super charging, why? because of convenience. Except California, public charging is also more expensive.
some people live in apartment and do not have 120v/240v access, they will have to charge at public place. but they still need mobile connector for camping, long drive, etc. I am ok that Tesla remove mobile connector to get more profit, but please do not find an excuse.

For many US Tesla drivers, I suspect that charging away from home using their mobile connector is pretty rare or nil.
I have 5 neighbor families, total 7 Tesla cars, all of them use mobile connector. your suspect is 100% wrong.

What does it matter if they use it away from home or not? Or whether they use it at 120V or 240V? That’s not the issue at hand here.
It matters because that was I asserted then followed up to ask about.
yes, all at home, even one of them has free super charging, why? because of convenience. Except California, public charging is also more expensive.
And, the above was the response.

But you’re seemingly attempting to devalue the mobile connector saying because people never use it away from home, therefore it’s not needed. But people are still using it every day to charge at home.
Not really on the first point. As I said, I was replying to what someone else said.

I have no doubt numerous folks are doing the latter at home. Of the folks who aren't and instead paid $ to install a WC, I suspect a decent % of those folks didn't research this or didn't understand or followed Tesla's goofy advice of recommending a WC when the mobile connector w/proper adapter would've sufficed and been much cheaper.

I don't have a complete inventory of such goofy advice but these two have some of it, if you search them for recommend:

I will also chime in with it feeling like a money grab or means to preserve margins/profit. It's not like Tesla's been dropping the prices of their cars. They've been raising them left and right.

It's not only $500. I literally paid an extra $900 on top of the price of the wall connector to get the charger installed in my house. The installation can add up real quick. It'll cost you even more if you only have a 100 amp service or your panel needs an upgrade.
This was my journey. All in, it was a $2000 process. Thankful for state and local rebates.

I don't understand why people are so worked up about the exclusion of a $200-500 piece of equipment and are calling it a "money grab". The BIG money grab is the $10k+ in price hikes in the last 12 months.
Exactly. People dropping 60-100k plus on these cars and then whining and comparing it to apple. I’m so tired of the posts, you tube videos and twitter talking about a charger. Just do the wall charger and don’t be so cheap.

Exactly. People dropping 60-100k plus on these cars and then whining and comparing it to apple. I’m so tired of the posts, you tube videos and twitter talking about a charger. Just do the wall charger and don’t be so cheap.
Actually when you break the cost of installing a new circuit the Wall Connector is less expensive due to the savings on components you don't need to purchase when installing the Wall Connector.

Even though the Wall Connector at $495 US is currently $220 more expensive than the Mobile Connector ($275) the $220 cost savings is quickly eroded by the following Mobile Connector costs:

50 amp GFCI circuit breaker ($100), not required when the equipment (i.e. the Wall Connector) is hard wired
Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter for the Mobile Connector ($45)
High Quality NEMA 14-50 receptacle, i.e. one manufactured by Hubbell/Bryant or Cooper (Not Leviton), housing and cover plate ($100)
Cable organizer (optional) $35

The additional cost when installing a charging circuit, receptacle for use with the Mobile Connector (not including wire) would be around $280. With the wire cost it could easily exceed $300 more.

Note: Installing 2-wire + ground wiring needed for the Wall Connector instead of 3-wire + ground wiring needed for the new charging circuit, receptacle could cost up to 25% less (one less copper wire). The labor cost of pulling 2-wire versus 3-wire would be the same.

Whether or not it's a money grab, or simply a product of supply chain issues, the fact is that Tesla is no longer suppling the item that will allow you to charge your car when you get it home that first night. Yeah, you can get the Wall Charger installed before delivery. Yeah, you can order a charging cable from Amazon, or from Tesla when/if either one ever becomes available. But the fact is that many people buying these cars don't belong to this forum or a FB group, and I think assume that when I go pick up the car, I can charge it at home that night (albeit very slowly). Because that's the way it's always been. So from that aspect, it's disappointing to me that they've taken this step, for whatever reason. And other than a tweet from Elon, how would I know this until I get home?

Actually when you break the cost of installing a new circuit the Wall Connector is less expensive due to the savings on components you don't need to purchase when installing the Wall Connector.
That MAY BE true only if you leave out the cost of installing the Wall Connector, compared to the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Installing the Wall Connector is about $500 more, retail (i.e. what the electrician would charge me).....whether there's "1 less copper wire" is immaterial to my final cost, and whether there's a face plate is immaterial to my use and enjoyment. I know, because I've priced them. YMMV.

The up-side is that a Tesla Wall Connector is several hundred dollars cheaper than a name-brand, reliable J1772 EVSE.

The comparison to Apple is apt, given that both are vertically integrated companies, creating almost a closed marketplace.

When I ordered My MYP, I can’t remember it is stated that the charger was included. I will possibly have my car in a few weeks.
Within the app that shows your order, you'll see a charging video that states "here is your mobile charger". Mine currently still states that a mobile charger is included...waiting for confirmation from my SA however.

Even though the Wall Connector at $495 US is currently $220 more expensive than the Mobile Connector ($275) the $220 cost savings is quickly eroded by the following Mobile Connector costs:

50 amp GFCI circuit breaker ($100), not required when the equipment (i.e. the Wall Connector) is hard wired
Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter for the Mobile Connector ($45)
High Quality NEMA 14-50 receptacle, i.e. one manufactured by Hubbell/Bryant or Cooper (Not Leviton), housing and cover plate ($100)
Cable organizer (optional) $35

The additional cost when installing a charging circuit, receptacle for use with the Mobile Connector (not including wire) would be around $280. With the wire cost it could easily exceed $300 more.

Note: Installing 2-wire + ground wiring needed for the Wall Connector instead of 3-wire + ground wiring needed for the new charging circuit, receptacle could cost up to 25% less (one less copper wire). The labor cost of pulling 2-wire versus 3-wire would be the same.
You still need a 60A breaker for the Wall Connector.

It’s not being cheap, those of us with existing orders purchased the car and it was advertised to come with a mobile connector. Terrible customer service to not honor that. For new orders, fine make it clear it isn’t included.

It’s not being cheap, those of us with existing orders purchased the car and it was advertised to come with a mobile connector. Terrible customer service to not honor that. For new orders, fine make it clear it isn’t included.
I’m one of those waiting for my car so I’m hoping that existing orders do come with them Tesla just came about it all wrong they should’ve just said there’s a shortage of them and in order to not hold up your delivery we’re going to send the car without it and when they become available we will ship them to you

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H