Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Tesla currently sells that same connector (NEMA 14-50 240v) on one end and Tesla plug on the other) for $400.00.
This is the Corded Mobile Connector, different from the Mobile Connector that can accept modular power plugs. The Corded Mobile Connector has a fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug. The Corded Mobile Connector enables charging at 240V and 40 amps. The Mobile Connector that accepts different power plugs is limited to 32 amps.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
I bought the wall connector and had it installed. I expected the mobile charger to stay in my car so that I have an option as destination charging is still not prevalent and the charging infrastructure still needs to develop for mainstream EV adoption. It may not be in the offer document, but the SA was conscientious enough to remind me the 14-50 adaptor no longer came with the UMC, so I went and bought it. Now they are changing the product I thought I had purchased again before delivery and it isn't to make the product better or safer. So my trust in the brand is diminished. I now look at all the other changes (e.g supercharging rates, autoplilot issues) and 'features' we expect like OTA updates that they might decide one day to start charging for... where does it stop?

Just FYI- there are options available and in stock on Amazon if you want a level 1 mobile charging cable. Would only need an adapter to make it work for Tesla. Saw one for $179. You don't have to wait on Tesla branded one that's currently out of stock on their website.

I am pretty sure they would love to get your car next day but we are living in the world with high demand and limited output plus parts/materials constraints. Anyway MC is not something that would have stopped me from buying Tesla but everyone situation is different.
The point I'm attempting to make here, is that Tesla offered a purchase agreement, I accepted for the price, configuration, and equipment at that time. They need to honor that purchase agreement the same as I must honor that if I back out of the purchase agreement I would loose my $250 order fee. I am still planning on accepting delivery of my ordered Model 3, However if these are the tactics that Tesla has now started to employ. It will affect my next purchase. There are NO excuses for there actions here. Don't try to reason it away.

The point I'm attempting to make here, is that Tesla offered a purchase agreement, I accepted for the price, configuration, and equipment at that time. They need to honor that purchase agreement the same as I must honor that if I back out of the purchase agreement I would loose my $250 order fee. I am still planning on accepting delivery of my ordered Model 3, However if these are the tactics that Tesla has now started to employ. It will affect my next purchase. There are NO excuses for there actions here. Don't try to reason it away.
I agree that we should have things that were advertised when we placed the order. We shall see how Tesla is planing to handle this.

I agree that we should have things that were advertised when we placed the order. We shall see how Tesla is planing to handle this.
This is another situation where it would be very helpful if Tesla actually had a PR department that could handle official communications rather than letting people try to decipher random tweets from Elon.

Receiving my new Model Y this summer, OD 12/14/21.

I bought my Model Y with camping and travel in mind. I know, stupid idea to try in an electric SUV, but I'm kind of wild and crazy guy.

The money part of it isn't the biggest trouble for me. After the 65K+ car, and at considerable expense of a 240V, 50 amp plug in the garage, bought a 14-50 adapter and insulated the garage. The 14-50 can charge like 30 miles/hr and will be my primary charge point. It should be an option at time of purchase especially when people were expecting it to be included. This summer after picking up my Model Y and driving it 120 miles home I expect to be able to plug my car into my new outlet and start my Tesla story.
I believe Elon used a limited sample of owners and a sprinkle of greed to decide to exclude the cable. But it is what it is. I don't believe there are better electric cars than Tesla's on the road today.

I want to be able to update my order now to include the cable at time of delivery or have the option to purchase it at pickup. That is all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlitos
I've just been updated by a Tesla rep regarding my order:

To our knowledge, all existing orders prior to the change will include the charging bundle, but we are still waiting on specific details.
I heard it other way on Tesla.com chat... rep said Tesla deliveries from now on will not come with the charging bundle.. Nobody knows until they get some sort of official confirmation.

Yeah I wouldn't ever run just 4GA live wires and not a neutral. If you ever want to switch to something that requires a neutral, you're going to be opening up the walls again. The name of the game should be to make it where you only have to do the labor-intensive (expensive) stuff once. What if the Gen4 WC requires a neutral or the next EVSE you install needs a neutral? Trying to save money by omitting the neutral is penny wise and pound foolish.
Not really. I don't know if you actually are experienced with electrical or not, but there are several residential applications where you don't run a Neutral wire for 220v appliances/electrical circuits. Its not about being penny wise/pound foolish... Any electrician would tell you that. They also would tell you that you can have a Neutral wire ran if you wanted, and they will happily take your money for it.

Its about what is the application you are wiring for, what is required, and location/area codes. Running another conductor wire for a circuit that will never be anything but in a garage for either a EV charger or a welder is just overkill.

I bought the wall connector and had it installed. I expected the mobile charger to stay in my car so that I have an option as destination charging is still not prevalent and the charging infrastructure still needs to develop for mainstream EV adoption. It may not be in the offer document, but the SA was conscientious enough to remind me the 14-50 adaptor no longer came with the UMC, so I went and bought it. Now they are changing the product I thought I had purchased again before delivery and it isn't to make the product better or safer. So my trust in the brand is diminished. I now look at all the other changes (e.g supercharging rates, autoplilot issues) and 'features' we expect like OTA updates that they might decide one day to start charging for... where does it stop?
Unfortunately, no one has been harmed yet, so no one has standing to sue Tesla in small claims court, but that is indeed a good question to be asking. There's a lot of stuff that's not explicitly in the delivery contract. The delivery contract does not promise that these cars will have passenger lumbar support, RADAR, or even heat pumps, FM radio, fog lights, heated seats, rear climate control vents, USB ports, etc. How much could Tesla remove before they can be legitimately accused of misrepresenting the product at the time the contract was signed? I think someone would need to sue them in small claims court for not delivering features that a reasonable person would have expected to be there in order to find out. Tesla's lawyers would no doubt argue that the company is known for changing configurations in the past, sometimes to the advantage of the customer (heat pumps, etc.) and this type of configuration changing should have been expected by any reasonable person ordering a vehicle from the company.

Of course, tweets from Elon Musk are not official communication from the company, and you could legitimately claim that you expected the MC to be included with your vehicle. If your vehicle is delivered next week without it, and you still haven't gotten any official communication stating this fact, then you probably have standing to go after Tesla in small claims for at least the cost of the MC.
Not really. I don't know if you actually are experienced with electrical or not, but there are several residential applications where you don't run a Neutral wire for 220v appliances/electrical circuits. Its not about being penny wise/pound foolish... Any electrician would tell you that. They also would tell you that you can have a Neutral wire ran if you wanted, and they will happily take your money for it.

Its about what is the application you are wiring for, what is required, and location/area codes. Running another conductor wire for a circuit that will never be anything but in a garage for either a EV charger or a welder is just overkill.
The whole point is, if you do it while everything else is being wired, it's just the materials cost. If you realize you need it later on, it's materials plus labor plus the service call. Here in the SF Bay Area, labor costs can easily exceed $125/hour, so the cost to add a neutral after the fact can easily be 3-5 times or more than what it would have cost to just add a temporarily unused neutral in the first place.

Last edited:
I wonder if Elon charges his car at his friends houses with the mobile connector he’s no longer including. 🥴🥲

Attachments

• 091AEA0C-F230-416D-B11A-780265BF6A17.jpeg
    091AEA0C-F230-416D-B11A-780265BF6A17.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
Again not in order agreement.
Wrong, here's a quote from the order agreement:
Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configura8on from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us”
or “our”), pursuant to the terms and condi8ons of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and op8ons available at the
8me of order

Didn't copy great, but note the Features and options available at the time of the order