Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's so funny I just went out to check the extra 6-50 outlet I had put in. Well no GFCI damn it! So the electrician used Romex for the 60 amp charger and no GFCI on the 6-50 outlet. He was a reputable insured electrician. Man such a nice guy and the work looks super clean but damn it :)
When was the 6-50 receptacle installed? Some jurisdictions have not yet adopted this provision of the 2020 revision of the NEC.

Reactions: sleepydoc
A couple weeks ago after I picked up my tesla
You could ask the electrician who installed the 6-50 receptacle if the county has adopted the 2020 revision of the NEC regarding circuits used for EV charging that have a receptacle. To avoid any risk when plugging or unplugging the Tesla Mobile Connector or other electrical equipment from the 6-50 receptacle you can first turn off the power at the circuit breaker.

I have ordered their 10-30 gen 2 nema plug adapter for use with the factory cord. I assumed I was getting one. It shows 22 mph charge rate. I have a 30 amp breaker. Is there an aftermarket cord that plugs into a model 3 that charges as fast as the one that suppose to come with the car on my 10-30, 30 am system?
You can buy a Juicebox charger JuiceBox Level 2 EV Charger & Charging Station | Enel X, I have a Juicebox for 4 years now, it charged up to 40A, plug into NEMA 14-50 plug. It's also wifi enabled. The cord is not as flexible as Tesla charger but it's a reliable piece. I did not have any issue at all.

24 pages later

ohnoanyway.gif

Anyone know of a forum where people actually like their cars? Just a bunch of bitching here I'm about done.
I am pretty sure I will love my car when I get it, and I am glad Elon had the vision and work ethic, and got the government support, and whatever else that went into it, to get it done. And especially glad he had the foresight to make a great network of chargers such that I could make the decision last fall to switch, rather than wait as I thought I was going to have to do, due to where I lIve out in the woods and mountains.

Doesn’t mean I like every business practice, etc.

Why don’t people just wait until they get their order and see if they get it. There’s so much speculation and people crying about this. They increased the price by 3000 dollars and people still ordered them, myself included. I spent 70k on a MYP I think I can manage getting A wall charger in my garage. There’s far too many people whining about this mobile charger. 18 pages and counting haha
Wait and see if it comes with the car? and if it doesn't, what then?

You could ask the electrician who installed the 6-50 receptacle if the county has adopted the 2020 revision of the NEC regarding circuits used for EV charging that have a receptacle. To avoid any risk when plugging or unplugging the Tesla Mobile Connector or other electrical equipment from the 6-50 receptacle you can first turn off the power at the circuit breaker.
I don't know why you'd treat a receptacle with a GFCI any differently than you would one with a GFCI. Just keep your fingers away from the live prongs when you're unplugging/plugging, always wear rubber shoes, and if you are extra paranoid, wear gloves.

Ordered my Model Y in January 2022. Just had multiple email exchanges today with my Tesla sales guy in the greater Seattle area about whether they would honor their representation at the time of the order that the charging cable was included. Response I got back was that he is as confused as many of us are and was not willing to make any statement until he gets more info from Tesla.
All I can say is that I wish I were an attorney as I can see a lucrative class action suit developing if Tesla backs out on providing people who have had cars on order for months with a means to charge their cars, particularly given that the necessary items are currently out of stock. It's like a dealer delivering a conventional car without a gas tank, and telling me I can purchase one, but they are on back order.

Ordered my Model Y in January 2022. Just had multiple email exchanges today with my Tesla sales guy in the greater Seattle area about whether they would honor their representation at the time of the order that the charging cable was included. Response I got back was that he is as confused as many of us are and was not willing to make any statement until he gets more info from Tesla.
All I can say is that I wish I were an attorney as I can see a lucrative class action suit developing if Tesla backs out on providing people who have had cars on order for months with a means to charge their cars, particularly given that the necessary items are currently out of stock. It's like a dealer delivering a conventional car without a gas tank, and telling me I can purchase one, but they are on back order.
You’d be a good attorney as class action lawsuits would make easy money. As a plaintiff, class action lawsuits are terrible. You get peanuts compared to suing as an individual. Just sit back and wait to see if a class action lawsuit is won. Then you have precedent to sue as an individual. I believe that’s what the smart ones were doing with Ford and their self-destructing engines at least.

You can buy a Juicebox charger JuiceBox Level 2 EV Charger & Charging Station | Enel X, I have a Juicebox for 4 years now, it charged up to 40A, plug into NEMA 14-50 plug. It's also wifi enabled. The cord is not as flexible as Tesla charger but it's a reliable piece. I did not have any issue at all.

Tesla has a somewhat vague video of using J-1772 chargers with their cars. Since you are familiar with both Teslas and the JuiceBox40, I'd like to feel secure using my slightly older JB40 (non-wi-fi) with a prospective Y I may be ordering later this week, once I test-drive one this Thursday (if they can find one to test drive!), and both I and my wife like the experience.

Can I ask if using the Tesla/J-1772 adaptor ($50) is easily added and removable to the handle of the JB40? Does it communicate with the car the same way as a Tesla-made charger? I know it doesn't have the built-in button on the habdle to open/close the chargeport, but does the Tesla LED "T" show the same colored and blinking indications as it would with an OEM Tesla charging cord? If I unplug early, are there any issues? What about leaving it plugged in overnight for conditioning?

Unlike a Tesla WC, I can't limit or set the JB40 to a specific amperage. It does appear that I can dial the car to limit to, say, 32A charging. During a long charging session, does the connection tend to stay at a set amperage, or might it stray from the setting on the car's screen?

The car would be outdoors, as I have no usable garage. The circuit is 40A 240v. The JB40 is the version that plugs into a 14-50 outlet (without a GFI).

Thanks you, in advance!

Last edited:
I don't know why you'd treat a receptacle with a GFCI any differently
I have owned multiple Level 2 (240V) EVSE from ClipperCreek and the owners manuals state that for safety you should turn off the power to the circuit at the circuit breaker, service panel before plugging or unplugging the equipment. This is for equipment with a NEMA 14-50 plug but could apply to any 240V receptacle.

Every requirement that is currently in the National Electrical Code (NEC) is there because somewhere, somehow, someone was electrocuted (shocked) or worse when working around or using the electrical service, equipment.