Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger randomly disables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been house-sitting for my parents this week, and their laundry room is right off the garage, so I've been running the mobile charger's cable through a gap in the door's weather seal and using their dryer outlet (NEMA 14-50). It is able to pull 240v/24a, but what I've noticed is that charging will stop randomly through the day, and when it happens there is an audible click inside the charger. Sometimes it will resume automatically, sometimes I need to tap "start charging" in the app, and once I needed to unplug and re-plug from the wall to make it restart. It will work for hours between these faults. I'm curious to know what could be going on here.

It's been decently mild (-5 to 5) in Ottawa, so I have a hard time believing it's the temperature, especially since the actual charger itself is inside.

Probably it's detecting an error from the supply line. Voltages can drop below a certain threshold depending on the time of day and the UMC is unable to sustain the charge rate. So it shuts off.

If you're really into solving this:

1. Try it on a different plug and see if it follows the unit.

2. Use another UMC on the same plug and see if the fault occurs.

3. Do nothing and have notification about charging/stop/go from the app and restart it when possible.