Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging cable— everyday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3 LR RWD and commute 170 miles each way to work. I use a mobile charging cable to charge at home and at work. About once a month I’m coming out of work or waking up to a car that didn’t fully charge. The connector is showing red lights flashing. Both 240 volt outlets were professionally installed. Is this a case where a mobile charging cable isn’t meant to be used all day everyday (4 days per week)?

Thanks
Chris

...Is this a case where a mobile charging cable isn’t meant to be used all day everyday (4 days per week)?...
No. That is not the case because many people use the Mobile Connector exclusively without the Wall Connector.

You just have to find out what's wrong. Are all connections tight? Any signs of heat damage?

Or it's just time for another Mobile Connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Does your work or any business' nearby have any large intermittent electrical load? If the voltage suddenly drops significantly, the car may think there is a fault and disconnect. Does your mobile app not give you notifications when charging is interrupted?

Also, 170 miles, each way, every day... are you nuts?

Sometimes I’ll get the error message about heat and the charging rate simply drops in half. Sometimes it simply stops charging without an error message but the mobile connector will show the T flashing red.

And yes, I am nuts. I took a high paying job on the assumption my wife would move. I bluffed and lost.

Is the plug and/or mobile connector circuitry box in direct sun when this occurs? Charging in my garage (rarely over 65F), I can noticeably feel the mobile connector warms up charging at 32A for extended periods, so the Florida sun is probably cooking yours. If so, maybe build a cover of some sort that reflects the sun, but still allows for airflow.