Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charging Connector - do you bring it with you?

Where do you keep you mobile charging cable?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a routine basis, going to work, running around town, do you leave your mobile charging connector cable at home in the garage, or with you in the trunk, Or do you have a second one?
For routine driving, I'm well within range and leave it at home. For long drives, where I'll be away for days/weeks, I'll bring it with. I'm too cheap to buy a second, or put in an HPWC, though I should.

Put in a HPWC. Don't cheap out.
Always keep the mobile in the car. You'll need it when you least expect it.
Yeah, there's no real defense for not getting the additional UMC/HPWD; I just thought I'd give him a simple, honest reply. (but how's this for a knee-jerk response: I don't really need the extra gear for "local" driving with all the charging opportunities nearby, J1772s at work, superchargers around the area, in-laws with outlets and available transport if I need to go retrieve the UMC; if I'm so dead-in-the-water that I can't move, I've got worse problems and would just call for a flatbed - which has never happened)

I have a good defense for not having an hpwc: I live in a high rise and it costs about $12k to have one installed :(

I built a 3d printed model for the cubby that holds my charging network cards and the charging adapter (and my sunglasses) since I use them almost every day.

I've only used the wall plug charger maybe twice in 18 months.

I wish tesla would install superchargers in downtown areas and make them for-pay only. I'd happily pay for a supercharge near my home...

Reactions: oktane
UMC stays plugged in my garage and hangs on a hook. I only take it with me if I'm going out of town. When driving around town, I don't understand what type of emergencies people think might happen that they will need to plug in to a 120V outlet or a 14-50 (if they can find one). Remember you don't use the UMC for J1772 charging which is far more plentiful than 14-50s. If any emergency happens that I have to drive far unexpectedly, I'm coming home first!

UMC stays plugged in my garage and hangs on a hook. I only take it with me if I'm going out of town. When driving around town, I don't understand what type of emergencies people think might happen that they will need to plug in to a 120V outlet or a 14-50 (if they can find one). Remember you don't use the UMC for J1772 charging which is far more plentiful than 14-50s. If any emergency happens that I have to drive far unexpectedly, I'm coming home first!
Exactly the same here. Unless I know I'll need it (which, so far, is never), I don't see how it would be useful to keep in the car. I can't even come up with a scenario for myself.

Mine stays plugged in, in the garage, unless I'm doing a trip out of the area. Usually, I'm usually pretty close to home. Like @TexasEV and @kavyboy, I can't come up with a situation where I'd need to unexpectedly rely on the UMC but I wasn't able to grab it out of my garage first.

Now if I do go out of the area (which alas is not as often as I'd like, but I digress), I bring everything: UMC plus all my adapters, CHAdeMO adapter, J1772 adapter.

Bruce.

IMHO it seems that some of you like spending money unnecessarily.
I don't have the dual charger in the car so an HPWC offers nothing that the umc can do. I don't see the need to buy an HPWC. I am well into 3 years of ownership and the UMC has served me well.
the majority of my driving is well within the 90% soc of the car so I'm only charging at home.
If I take a long road trip where I am concerned about charging issues I pack the UMC. some of my regular longer trips are on routes where I can us SpCs as needed and there is no need to pack the UMC.

IMHO it seems that some of you like spending money unnecessarily.
I don't have the dual charger in the car so an HPWC offers nothing that the umc can do. I don't see the need to buy an HPWC. I am well into 3 years of ownership and the UMC has served me well.
the majority of my driving is well within the 90% soc of the car so I'm only charging at home.
If I take a long road trip where I am concerned about charging issues I pack the UMC. some of my regular longer trips are on routes where I can us SpCs as needed and there is no need to pack the UMC.

Maybe not in Florida. But this new owner didn't carry his UMC and got stuck in a snowstorm. In a case like that having the ability to plug the car into even a 120V outlet would have helped him stay warm while he waited out the storm and traffic.

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm

Maybe not in Florida. But this new owner didn't carry his UMC and got stuck in a snowstorm. In a case like that having the ability to plug the car into even a 120V outlet would have helped him stay warm while he waited out the storm and traffic.

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm
I offered my opinion and supported the opinion with my reality. the OP was challenged by his lack of experience. he could have easily located a level2 charger in his situation.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler