TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Mobile Charging Connector - do you bring it with you?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mbhforum, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where do you keep you mobile charging cable?

1. Home

38.6%
  2. WIth me

49.1%
  3. I purchased a second one for both

12.3%
  1. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

On a routine basis, going to work, running around town, do you leave your mobile charging connector cable at home in the garage, or with you in the trunk, Or do you have a second one?

2. ElectricTundra

I have a HPWC at home and at our cabin. UMC cable and adapters are ALWAYS with me just in case of something unexpected and to avoid forgetting when I go on a trip.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

HPWC at home, mobile connector in the car always.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Me too. Always.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. CliffG

CliffG Member

For routine driving, I'm well within range and leave it at home. For long drives, where I'll be away for days/weeks, I'll bring it with. I'm too cheap to buy a second, or put in an HPWC, though I should.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Put in a HPWC. Don't cheap out.
    Always keep the mobile in the car. You'll need it when you least expect it.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Always with me. I am too forgetful to remember to put it in the car for a long trip. I have a separate charger I use at home, so no need to use the UMC daily or anything.

• Love x 1
  8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I carry one with us always...

...and then add a second one on roadtrips, just in case. (with additional charging options.)

• Love x 1
  9. CliffG

CliffG Member

Yeah, there's no real defense for not getting the additional UMC/HPWD; I just thought I'd give him a simple, honest reply. (but how's this for a knee-jerk response: I don't really need the extra gear for "local" driving with all the charging opportunities nearby, J1772s at work, superchargers around the area, in-laws with outlets and available transport if I need to go retrieve the UMC; if I'm so dead-in-the-water that I can't move, I've got worse problems and would just call for a flatbed - which has never happened)

• Like x 2
  10. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

I have a good defense for not having an hpwc: I live in a high rise and it costs about $12k to have one installed :(

I built a 3d printed model for the cubby that holds my charging network cards and the charging adapter (and my sunglasses) since I use them almost every day.

I've only used the wall plug charger maybe twice in 18 months.

I wish tesla would install superchargers in downtown areas and make them for-pay only. I'd happily pay for a supercharge near my home...

• Like x 1
  11. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

HPWC 80Amps 240V and keep the entire mobile kit in its pouch in the frunk. It only comes out when I park at the airport at the offsite covered parking with electric vehicle charging spots

• Like x 1
  12. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

HPWC at home (on barn for PlugShare)
    UMC in garage for weekend to keep charge at 90% and for cold weather pre-warming
    Bought second UMC for trunk with many adapters.....

13. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yeah that ^^

• Like x 1
  14. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

UMC stays plugged in my garage and hangs on a hook. I only take it with me if I'm going out of town. When driving around town, I don't understand what type of emergencies people think might happen that they will need to plug in to a 120V outlet or a 14-50 (if they can find one). Remember you don't use the UMC for J1772 charging which is far more plentiful than 14-50s. If any emergency happens that I have to drive far unexpectedly, I'm coming home first!

• Like x 5
  15. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Exactly the same here. Unless I know I'll need it (which, so far, is never), I don't see how it would be useful to keep in the car. I can't even come up with a scenario for myself.

16. bmah

bmah New Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Mine stays plugged in, in the garage, unless I'm doing a trip out of the area. Usually, I'm usually pretty close to home. Like @TexasEV and @kavyboy, I can't come up with a situation where I'd need to unexpectedly rely on the UMC but I wasn't able to grab it out of my garage first.

Now if I do go out of the area (which alas is not as often as I'd like, but I digress), I bring everything: UMC plus all my adapters, CHAdeMO adapter, J1772 adapter.

Bruce.

17. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I only take it on road trips

18. kort677

kort677 Banned

IMHO it seems that some of you like spending money unnecessarily.
    I don't have the dual charger in the car so an HPWC offers nothing that the umc can do. I don't see the need to buy an HPWC. I am well into 3 years of ownership and the UMC has served me well.
    the majority of my driving is well within the 90% soc of the car so I'm only charging at home.
    If I take a long road trip where I am concerned about charging issues I pack the UMC. some of my regular longer trips are on routes where I can us SpCs as needed and there is no need to pack the UMC.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Maybe not in Florida. But this new owner didn't carry his UMC and got stuck in a snowstorm. In a case like that having the ability to plug the car into even a 120V outlet would have helped him stay warm while he waited out the storm and traffic.

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  20. kort677

kort677 Banned

I offered my opinion and supported the opinion with my reality. the OP was challenged by his lack of experience. he could have easily located a level2 charger in his situation.

• Funny x 1