TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Mobile charging for Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dborn, May 19, 2014.

1. Mark E

Mark E Member

That won't help. The UMC that comes with the car has a small 'tail' that contains the 10A plug and some coding to tell the charger that it's a 10A plug. Tesla haven't told us when the 15A version will be available, but it'll be a tail to plug into the UMC. On a brighter note, a 10A plug will fit into a 15A socket and should work.

If you want to spend the money, you can get an after-market portable charger that will go as high as 32A 3 phase.

2. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

It also won't take more than 10 AMP - need a different tail for that.

3. paulp

paulp Active Member

If the coding tells the UMC that it's a 10A plug then going into a 15A socket likely won't give more than 10A?
    There is a 3phase plug available from tesla for the UMC, (mine came with one) however there are a lot of different 3 phase plugs around, so the chances of a good fit are reduced.

4. lennier

lennier Member

Really, there's an Oz 3 phase plug for the UMC available already? I'm surprised there hasn't been more about it on the forum. I'll have to talk to Tesla..

And yes there's no way for the UMC to know that it's plugged in to a 15A socket, the 10A adaptor is hard wired to report a 10A pilot current to the car.

5. timpoo

timpoo Member

The 3 phase plug that comes with some UMCs don't fit Australian sockets, it's a European model. If you got one it was by mistake, as has been confirmed by Tesla.

6. mccrum

mccrum Member

Okay will that need any "changes" for Australian sockets? Also can you send me the details?

- - - Updated - - -

And that tail doesnt exist?

7. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Tesla Australia actually say (and I quote):
    The only 3 phase adaptor is the European red plug. This can be supplied if you wanted, I believe cost is $130 + shipping.
    I have never seen an outlet in AU that the red plug will actually fit, so up to you if you see a value in purchasing.

8. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

Interesting. The pics I have seen seem to show the red plug is a moulded part of the connector that Plugs into the UMC. To adapt to Australia you would need a EU standard red socket and and Australian 5 pin 3 phase plug of either 20A or 32A with say 0.5m of cable between. I guesstimate costs for this would be $300-500

9. lennier

lennier Member

Whilst you could make an EU to AU 3 phase adaptor (probably) it would probably be illegal and the Tesla EU tail would still probably report the wrong pilot current and thus need to be overridden (if too high) or the resulting slower charging put up with (if too low).

10. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

It's only illegal if you re-sell it.

11. Gabz

Gabz Member

It may be also be illegal if it's considered by your state to be unlicensed electrical work. (since nearly everything is) so you may have to get one made up by a licensed electrical contractor.

12. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

What I was suggesting was you make a tail to adapt the EU red plug to either a 20A or 32A 3 phase plug. The tesla supplied eu plug will tell the car it can draw 11kW which is less than the capacity of either of those plugs. I doubt if this would really be illegal as it is in effect no different to any other international plug adaptor that you can buy at the airport etc.

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Those adapters are meant to be certified though....
    To make up your own tail you need to know the European wiring convention, Easy to find out, I guess, and theoretically get an electrician to wire up the Euo socket to the Aussie plug. That would then be legal and hopefully, safe.j

14. mccrum

mccrum Member

Does anybody have experience with the clipper creek 15amp cables using them in a 15amp socket ?

15. timpoo

timpoo Member

Yep I have one, works well.

You either need to order it with a Type 2 Plug (which costs more), or you can use a J1772 adapter.

16. brewster

brewster Member

Charging Options in Australia

Do you know if there is a table somewhere which shows all the capable charging adapters that are available to Tesla Model S owners and their approximate cost?
    It could be a handy resource for us noobs unfamiliar with the choices that are available and would help in deciding which adapters to purchase if any.

Something like this and I assume there are a number of errors in this and so I shouldn't show my ignorance, but if you could help correct the errors, fill in the blanks and add other relevant charging devices would be much appreciated.

DeviceAC/DCPhaseVoltsAmpskWCharge RateAvailabilityCost
    SuperchargerDC
    ~480

Up to 450km/hrNowFree
    HPWCAC1~24032- 407.6-9.6Up to 80km/hrNow~ $1000
    Mobile 1 PhaseAC1~240102.4Up to 20km/hrNow~ $600
    J1772AC1

Now
    Mobile 3 PhaseAC3~480

CHAdeMODC

~ $1500
    Thanks for you help. :redface:

17. dhuDz

dhuDz Member

#397 dhuDz, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    DeviceAC/DCPhase InputVoltsAmpskWCharge RateAvailabilityCost
    SuperchargerDC3~480200120Up to 450km/hrNowFree
    HPWCAC1~24032- 407.6-9.6Up to 80km/hrNow~ $1000
    Mobile 1 PhaseAC1~240102.4Up to 20km/hrNow~ $600
    J1772 Level 2AC1~2408019.2
    Now
    Mobile 3 PhaseAC3~480

CHAdeMODC3~4806390

~ $1500

18. lennier

lennier Member

There is no concept of phase with DC charging, only AC.

19. Gabz

Gabz Member

If you include all the 3rd party type 2 EVSE then you need a spreadsheet not a table google "ladestation typ2" and you'll see a vast amount "available" out of Europe which are Tesla compatible.

20. dhuDz

dhuDz Member

Changed the heading to "Phase Input"

Its still AC to DC.