Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the European 3 phase adapter from Tesla Sydney @ $130 + shipping. The socket came from http://www.uniquip.net.au in Perth.
Ray, great job you did there with the modification of the European 3 phase dongle!
If anyone else in QLD thinks about following your idea: for the European plugs and adapters there are also 2 suppliers in QLD
in Capalaba: Power Cords and More
in Darra: Connector-Tech ALS Pty Ltd

As my car is equipped with dual chargers, I choose to travel with the mobile European EVSE charge controllers which can take up to 32 Amp 3-phase max vs 16 Amp 3-phase for the Tesla UMC which allows me to get a full charge in slightly more than 3h.

Just had chance to test Tims 3 phase charger. Works a treat.!:biggrin:
Tes charger 3v2.jpg

Is that a charger or cable connector? I could only find this which is out of stock.

Type 2 to Type 2 lead for EVs

View attachment 100132

The cable you've got there is to connect to a socket EV charger, which are available in WA and more will be deployed around Australia. It's what they use in Europe to connect to public charging stations.

I think Ray made up a European 3 Phase plug to Australian 3 phase plug for the Tesla mobile adaptor, which is capable of 16A 3 Phase. For single charger cars, this is a good solution.

You should consider selling adaptors for the Tesla euro 3 phase pig tail for Oz 3 phase 16A and single phase 15A sockets Tim, could be quite a market given Tesla seem to have no interest in releasing local pigtails for anything other than 10A single phase. Would be especially attractive given you'd only need the one pigtail for both (from what I read elsewhere about being able to do single phase on the 3 phase pigtail if you use the appropriate one).

You should consider selling adaptors for the Tesla euro 3 phase pig tail for Oz 3 phase 16A and single phase 15A sockets Tim, could be quite a market given Tesla seem to have no interest in releasing local pigtails for anything other than 10A single phase. Would be especially attractive given you'd only need the one pigtail for both (from what I read elsewhere about being able to do single phase on the 3 phase pigtail if you use the appropriate one).
Working on it!!

I can confirm that connecting Line 1 on the 3 phase adapter for the UMC works to provide 16 amp single phase. So 4 amps/ hour. Now, a number of inline connectors and appropriate sized cable and plugs will allow a reasonably priced suite of connectors and so give anything from 32, 20,15 amps, 3 phase or single at a maximum of 16 amps per phase.

#mccrum I purchased the Juice Booster direct from the web. They have a UK kit which is only useful in that the web page is in English.
I changed the Mennkes plug to a PDL 5 series 32 amp 3phase and it works a treat. Just made some adapter cables today for other 3 phase plugs and some single phase outlets. This is my main travel EVSE.

Be aware, stupid, I know, but has happened to a few of us, when you make up a tail for the Euro 3 phase adaptor, you need to fully mate the two parts or it doesn't work! The lip of the Tesla side needs to be completely inside the inline connector. I found it to be particularly stiff, and so thought that a connection had been made, but it had not. So, at first, I thought that my wiring or the fact of using L1 was wrong.

I can confirm that connecting Line 1 on the 3 phase adapter for the UMC works to provide 16 amp single phase. So 4 amps/ hour. Now, a number of inline connectors and appropriate sized cable and plugs will allow a reasonably priced suite of connectors and so give anything from 32, 20,15 amps, 3 phase or single at a maximum of 16 amps per phase.
I'm not sure how it all works but I wonder if it would be possible to make up a hydra cable that connects the 3 phases to 3 single phase 10A or 15A plugs. Would give 30km/hr charging from 3 x 10a plugs. I guess provisos would be to ensure all sockets have a common earth...and don't just use a powerboard or stack double adaptors to plug all 3 plugs into? Any sparkies among us that know enough about the internals of tesla 3 phase charging to comment?

I'm not sure how it all works but I wonder if it would be possible to make up a hydra cable that connects the 3 phases to 3 single phase 10A or 15A plugs. Would give 30km/hr charging from 3 x 10a plugs. I guess provisos would be to ensure all sockets have a common earth...and don't just use a powerboard or stack double adaptors to plug all 3 plugs into? Any sparkies among us that know enough about the internals of tesla 3 phase charging to comment?

Unfortunately that's not how 3 phase power works. You can't just plug in to 3 outlets and get '3 phase', most domestic buildings have all outlets on a single phase. In 3 phase power each phase has the AC voltage waveform offset from the others by 120 degrees, and the Tesla charger would expect to see a conventional 3 phase relationship I would imagine (when all 3 phases are present).

Unfortunately that's not how 3 phase power works. You can't just plug in to 3 outlets and get '3 phase', most domestic buildings have all outlets on a single phase. In 3 phase power each phase has the AC voltage waveform offset from the others by 120 degrees, and the Tesla charger would expect to see a conventional 3 phase relationship I would imagine (when all 3 phases are present).

Actually, the Tesla is happy to see the same phase on all three pins - this is how the blue 32A adapter on the european Tesla UMC manages to do 32A single phase charging on single-charger cars (though as you say, this isn't how 3-phase is normally supposed to work!).

However, the suggested hydra cable has huge safety and logistical problems so is probably still not a good idea even though it would theoretically work under favorable circumstances.

Actually, the Tesla is happy to see the same phase on all three pins - this is how the blue 32A adapter on the european Tesla UMC manages to do 32A single phase charging on single-charger cars (though as you say, this isn't how 3-phase is normally supposed to work!).

However, the suggested hydra cable has huge safety and logistical problems so is probably still not a good idea even though it would theoretically work under favorable circumstances.

Interesting, good to know arg! I guess they've implemented the internal charger as basically 3 independent single phase chargers rather than a strict 3 phase device then. Makes sense I guess given the rectified output won't care.

That is how I was guessing it worked since I couldn't see how else it could take a 40A feed from a single phase HPWC. I understand it would be a very dodgy setup but would make for an interesting proof of concept for a sparky with a bit of free time.