Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I could get the electrician in I connected my second wall connector with a 15 Amp cable.
The Wall Connector was set to 16 Amps so the car started to charge at that rate and the 15 Amp cable was hot to the touch within 30 minutes. I lowered the amps in the car to 15 and it cooled down. So the max rating is the max rating, especially for a continuous draw like an EV.

Thinking I'll order the chademo adapter too

CHAdeMO are amongst the rarest of all charge station types in Australia right now...1 in Sydney & 2 in Melbourne. Actually there may be others but these are the only ones listed by ChargePoint:

NRMA
9 George St
North Strathfield, NSW

SWINBURNE UNI
20 William Street
Hawthorn, VIC

MORELAND CITY COUNCIL
90 Bell Street
Coburg, VIC

CHAdeMO are amongst the rarest of all charge station types in Australia right now...1 in Sydney & 2 in Melbourne. Actually there may be others but these are the only ones listed by ChargePoint:

NRMA
9 George St
North Strathfield, NSW

SWINBURNE UNI
20 William Street
Hawthorn, VIC

MORELAND CITY COUNCIL
90 Bell Street
Coburg, VIC

CHAdeMO is the only fast charger solution in WA at the moment. There are 11 around Perth and the southwest. Next fastest in Perth is the dozen or so 32A 3~ outlets installed in Perth city car parks.

CHAdeMO is the only fast charger solution in WA at the moment. There are 11 around Perth and the southwest. Next fastest in Perth is the dozen or so 32A 3~ outlets installed in Perth city car parks.

Yes I recall reading that. I wonder why WA is the only region with CHAdeMO. Still the rarest of rare over this side of the nation but maybe they'll become more widespread here in time.

Yes I recall reading that. I wonder why WA is the only region with CHAdeMO. Still the rarest of rare over this side of the nation but maybe they'll become more widespread here in time.

They have been installed by the RAC as part of their Electic Highway initiative. I'm guessing they went this way because it is a generic DC solution. The same stations have mennekes ac at up to 63A 3~.

ok, but in practice i'll only need a 32A 3 phase, 20A 3 phase, and 15A single phase pigtails, right? If i come across a 20A single phase, the 15A pigtail will work for that?

That would cover everything you'd be likely to see in practice, yes. The 15A will plug in to a 20A single phase socket (but draw only 16A max of course, and should strictly be dialed down to 15A in the car still as the plug isn't rated for 16A). It's debatable how common 20A 3-phase is out there as well, it might not add much and could be omitted I expect.

ok, but in practice i'll only need a 32A 3 phase, 20A 3 phase, and 15A single phase pigtails, right? If i come across a 20A single phase, the 15A pigtail will work for that?
Yes omniwolf, the 32A 3 phase, 20A 3 phase, and 15A single phase adapters will cover your needs for in the field charging. I've now done >28000km and for >80% of those I charged in the field using these 3 adapters.

That would cover everything you'd be likely to see in practice, yes. The 15A will plug in to a 20A single phase socket (but draw only 16A max of course, and should strictly be dialed down to 15A in the car still as the plug isn't rated for 16A). It's debatable how common 20A 3-phase is out there as well, it might not add much and could be omitted I expect.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a Shuko or UK pigtail and cut the plug off and install an Australian 15A plug, I believe they are both restricted to 13A charging. At least that way its completely safe (dont have to remember to dial down to 15A) until Tesla can release a specific Australian 15A pigtail. It might even be wise for Tesla Australia to make these available to customers as a temporary solution. Any word on if they will actually release an Australian 3ph pigtail so the number of adapters to be carried can be slimmed down.

Adam.

Last edited: