Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean single phase 15A? If so the charger comes with a 10A plug, so you may need to modify it.

That won't help. The UMC that comes with the car has a small 'tail' that contains the 10A plug and some coding to tell the charger that it's a 10A plug. Tesla haven't told us when the 15A version will be available, but it'll be a tail to plug into the UMC. On a brighter note, a 10A plug will fit into a 15A socket and should work.

If you want to spend the money, you can get an after-market portable charger that will go as high as 32A 3 phase.

That won't help. The UMC that comes with the car has a small 'tail' that contains the 10A plug and some coding to tell the charger that it's a 10A plug. Tesla haven't told us when the 15A version will be available, but it'll be a tail to plug into the UMC. On a brighter note, a 10A plug will fit into a 15A socket and should work.

If you want to spend the money, you can get an after-market portable charger that will go as high as 32A 3 phase.

If the coding tells the UMC that it's a 10A plug then going into a 15A socket likely won't give more than 10A?
There is a 3phase plug available from tesla for the UMC, (mine came with one) however there are a lot of different 3 phase plugs around, so the chances of a good fit are reduced.

If the coding tells the UMC that it's a 10A plug then going into a 15A socket likely won't give more than 10A?
There is a 3phase plug available from tesla for the UMC, (mine came with one) however there are a lot of different 3 phase plugs around, so the chances of a good fit are reduced.

Really, there's an Oz 3 phase plug for the UMC available already? I'm surprised there hasn't been more about it on the forum. I'll have to talk to Tesla..

And yes there's no way for the UMC to know that it's plugged in to a 15A socket, the 10A adaptor is hard wired to report a 10A pilot current to the car.

Okay will that need any "changes" for Australian sockets? Also can you send me the details?

- - - Updated - - -

And that tail doesnt exist?

The 3 phase plug that comes with some UMCs don't fit Australian sockets, it's a European model. If you got one it was by mistake, as has been confirmed by Tesla.
Tesla Australia actually say (and I quote):
The only 3 phase adaptor is the European red plug. This can be supplied if you wanted, I believe cost is $130 + shipping.
I have never seen an outlet in AU that the red plug will actually fit, so up to you if you see a value in purchasing.

Tesla Australia actually say (and I quote):
The only 3 phase adaptor is the European red plug. This can be supplied if you wanted, I believe cost is $130 + shipping.
I have never seen an outlet in AU that the red plug will actually fit, so up to you if you see a value in purchasing.

Interesting. The pics I have seen seem to show the red plug is a moulded part of the connector that Plugs into the UMC. To adapt to Australia you would need a EU standard red socket and and Australian 5 pin 3 phase plug of either 20A or 32A with say 0.5m of cable between. I guesstimate costs for this would be $300-500

Interesting. The pics I have seen seem to show the red plug is a moulded part of the connector that Plugs into the UMC. To adapt to Australia you would need a EU standard red socket and and Australian 5 pin 3 phase plug of either 20A or 32A with say 0.5m of cable between. I guesstimate costs for this would be $300-500

Whilst you could make an EU to AU 3 phase adaptor (probably) it would probably be illegal and the Tesla EU tail would still probably report the wrong pilot current and thus need to be overridden (if too high) or the resulting slower charging put up with (if too low).

Whilst you could make an EU to AU 3 phase adaptor (probably) it would probably be illegal and the Tesla EU tail would still probably report the wrong pilot current and thus need to be overridden (if too high) or the resulting slower charging put up with (if too low).

What I was suggesting was you make a tail to adapt the EU red plug to either a 20A or 32A 3 phase plug. The tesla supplied eu plug will tell the car it can draw 11kW which is less than the capacity of either of those plugs. I doubt if this would really be illegal as it is in effect no different to any other international plug adaptor that you can buy at the airport etc.

Those adapters are meant to be certified though....
To make up your own tail you need to know the European wiring convention, Easy to find out, I guess, and theoretically get an electrician to wire up the Euo socket to the Aussie plug. That would then be legal and hopefully, safe.j

Charging Options in Australia

Yep I have one, works well.

You either need to order it with a Type 2 Plug (which costs more), or you can use a J1772 adapter.

Do you know if there is a table somewhere which shows all the capable charging adapters that are available to Tesla Model S owners and their approximate cost?
It could be a handy resource for us noobs unfamiliar with the choices that are available and would help in deciding which adapters to purchase if any.

Something like this and I assume there are a number of errors in this and so I shouldn't show my ignorance, but if you could help correct the errors, fill in the blanks and add other relevant charging devices would be much appreciated.

DeviceAC/DCPhaseVoltsAmpskWCharge RateAvailabilityCost
SuperchargerDC
~480

Up to 450km/hrNowFree
HPWCAC1~24032- 407.6-9.6Up to 80km/hrNow~ $1000
Mobile 1 PhaseAC1~240102.4Up to 20km/hrNow~ $600
J1772AC1

Now
Mobile 3 PhaseAC3~480

CHAdeMODC

~ $1500
Thanks for you help. :redface: