Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you include all the 3rd party type 2 EVSE then you need a spreadsheet not a table google "ladestation typ2" and you'll see a vast amount "available" out of Europe which are Tesla compatible.

I guess I was hoping to get a list that showed what I could purchase 'off-the-shelf' now and they were compatible with what points were currently available within Australia without adapting those currently used in EU to suit AUS conditions for example.
Is that possible?

I guess I was hoping to get a list that showed what I could purchase 'off-the-shelf' now and they were compatible with what points were currently available within Australia without adapting those currently used in EU to suit AUS conditions for example.
Is that possible?
Anything is possible :) But... Three phase in Oz is plain difficult - many differing plugs and you need two chargers on-board.
CHAdeMO adaptors are available from Tesla for $550 + shipping - but not much use outside the capital cities (there are 2 in Brisbane then none this side of Sydney).
The J1772 adaptor is probably one of the most useful tools (not from Tesla but see J1772 to Type 2 Adapter for $215 works with one charger).
Also (of course) when really stuck carrying a Tesla UMC (10 AMP) will get you out of a spot.
In the long run, the Superchargers will be it for the east coast. Probably won't make it far inland tho.

The CHAdeMO adapter is rated to 50 kW and costs AUD$550 from Tesla (until they put the prices up to adjust for our falling dollar) - and the mobile connector with 10A "tail" is free (comes with all new cars, being sent to existing owners)

Note that most J1772 cables will only allow you to charge at 16A if you have a single charger Model S.
The one available from EVnomics will allow you to charge at up to 32A on single and dual charger Model S. I don't believe there are any J1772 stations in Australia that provide more than 32A (though the spec allows up to 80A)

You can also get a Mennekes (type 2) cable from EVnomics as a special order for around $300 that will allow single charger Model S to charge at up to 32A single phase
You can get one from Tesla that is 3 phase capable for around the same price but it will also be limited to 16A on single charger Model S.
There's only a handful of these stations in Australia, most of them in Perth - and all of them single phase, to my knowledge.

Updated table below

DeviceAC/DCPhase InputVoltsAmpskWCharge RateAvailabilityCost
SuperchargerDC3~480200120Up to 450km/hrNowFree
HPWCAC1~24032- 407.6-9.6Up to 40km/hrNow~ $1000
Mobile 1 PhaseAC1~240102.4Up to 10km/hrNowFree
J1772 Level 2AC1~2408019.235-80km/hrNow~ $215
Mennekes Level 2AC1 or 3~240/415327.6-2035-100km/hrNow ~ $300
Mobile 3 PhaseAC3~4153220100km/hrNow~ $1800
CHAdeMODC3~4156350~220km/hrNow~ $550

- - - Updated - - -

CHAdeMO adaptors are available from Tesla for $550 + shipping - but not much use outside the capital cities (there are 2 in Brisbane then none this side of Sydney).
There's 5 in WA (of which 4 outside the capital city) and there will be at least double that number by the end of the year :biggrin:

You can also get a Mennekes (type 2) cable from EVnomics as a special order for around $300 that will allow single charger Model S to charge at up to 32A single phase
You can get one from Tesla that is 3 phase capable for around the same price but it will also be limited to 16A on single charger Model S.
There's only a handful of these stations in Australia, most of them in Perth - and all of them single phase, to my knowledge.
This cable is also available from Tesla ($300 + shipping as at Jan 2015). Also there's one of those chargers in Brisbane with a Type 2 to J1772 cable provided.

Anything is possible :) But... Three phase in Oz is plain difficult - many differing plugs and you need two chargers on-board.
The J1772 adaptor is probably one of the most useful tools (not from Tesla but see J1772 to Type 2 Adapter for $215 works with one charger).
Also (of course) when really stuck carrying a Tesla UMC (10 AMP) will get you out of a spot.
In the long run, the Superchargers will be it for the east coast. Probably won't make it far inland tho.

Great summary, thanks raynewman
Lots of quick replies, thanks everyone. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Updated table below

Nice little table for quick reference, especially for those new to EV charging, it can be a bit to get your head around...
Quick correction, A Supercharger station/Chademo is supplied by 3 phase AC, but the connection to the car is DC from the rectifier, so not a 3 phase connection at all. So I guess the voltage and currents for the DC methods should be checked too.

Edit: Missed the previous page where this was discussed.

With regards to the Mobile AC 3 Phase Charge Controllers, I posted a comparison table in this thread late April: Dropbox - TMC via Google Drive Comparison and ranking of EVSE Power Controller or EVSE Smart Power Controller.xlsx
I bought the Maxicharger and E-Station units for my personal use and from the >21000 km that I have driven till now I did about 80% with the MaxiCharger unit.
For my trip to Northern QLD I brought both units + the Tesla UMC
If I am not mistaken, Tim at EVnomics is also selling a mobile 3 phase charger with similar capacities. If someone here has the detailed specs I'll be happy to add this unit in the comparison table.

With regards to the Mobile AC 3 Phase Charge Controllers, I posted a comparison table in this thread late April: Dropbox - TMC via Google Drive Comparison and ranking of EVSE Power Controller or EVSE Smart Power Controller.xlsx
I bought the Maxicharger and E-Station units for my personal use and from the >21000 km that I have driven till now I did about 80% with the MaxiCharger unit.
For my trip to Northern QLD I brought both units + the Tesla UMC
If I am not mistaken, Tim at EVnomics is also selling a mobile 3 phase charger with similar capacities. If someone here has the detailed specs I'll be happy to add this unit in the comparison table.

Hi Guys - I'm thinking of a road trip and so will need to get together a few more things for charging. Rather than re-invent the wheel and waste money on chargers/plugs that I'll never use, can we put together a recommended list. It'd be great if Tesla could rent out units to people for trips, but failing that having a kit would be useful.

I'm thinking that I'll need;
- A J1772 to Mennekes Adapter
- A Mennekes Type2-Type 2 cable
- A 5 pin plug on a 32A 3 phase charger (which one is easily available here?)

In order to actually use these, what other plugs should I carry? i.e. I'm thinking that a 15A and 20A plug would be useful but since I've never gone looking for these before I'm unsure of what to get. The 15A is pretty common around caravan parks but not sure of the others. Is the same 5 pin plug used commonly for both 20A and 32A 3 phase?

I've resisted buying a heap of charging kit until I could see how things are moving along, but am thinking of doing Dubbo zoo and perhaps a trip up north from there to Brisbane.

Dylanpete - I see that you have both the Maxicharger and the e-station- why did you buy both? The maxi charger appears to be €100 cheaper.

Any advice greatly appreciated - Tim, are you selling charge controllers? I have dual onboard chargers.

When I bought both my goal was to have 1 nearly permanently installed in my garage connected to a 3 phase 32 A 5 pin socket so it could be available for other Tesla drivers when our car isn't in. The second one stays in the car all the time.
Based on the practical experience, the Maxi is less prone to heat, is lighter, and is less voluminous considering total volume of the MaxiCharger unit + adapters. The MaxiCharger unit also fits a type of connector plug that can have a resistor build-in just as done by Tesla for their UMC dongles sold in Europe and the USA.

The MaxiCharger is now permanently in my car.

From my practical experience I like to advise you:
MaxiCharger + adapter cables for:
15 A single phase (you don't need the 10A because you already have the Tesla UMC for that)
20 A 3 phase
32 A 3 phase

I have no details about what Tim is selling, please check with him.

The Tesla UMC + European 16 AMP 3 phase adaptor works well (with a little bit of work). Gets 44 km/hr on a single charger car also.
IMG_4253.JPG
IMG_4285.jpg

So you bought the European 3 phase UMC dongle and made up a euro to oz 3 phase adaptor cable? How did you go about sourcing the euro dongle and 3 phase socket, Tesla + internet?

I really don't understand why it's taking Tesla so long to produce the local versions of the 15A and 3 phase dongles for the UMC, it's trivial stuff aside from certification, and even that can't be that hard.

So you bought the European 3 phase UMC dongle and made up a euro to oz 3 phase adaptor cable? How did you go about sourcing the euro dongle and 3 phase socket, Tesla + internet?

I really don't understand why it's taking Tesla so long to produce the local versions of the 15A and 3 phase dongles for the UMC, it's trivial stuff aside from certification, and even that can't be that hard.
I ordered the European 3 phase adapter from Tesla Sydney @ $130 + shipping. The socket came from http://www.uniquip.net.au in Perth.

Has anyone looked at these Trinity portable wind turbines on Kickstarter ? They have some inbuilt battery capacity and the 1kW and 2.5kW models can apparently just "plug back into your house's grid" ?? The idea of having a portable generator that normally generates power for home and can be packed up pretty easily is kind of cool ... but is something like this legal in Australia ? Thanks as always, Ian
Trinity Portable Wind Turbine Power Station by Janulus Kickstarter