Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wauchope to Macadamia Castlelooks doable. I'd rather come up the coast than the New England. Would you have some more info on the Volt dealer?

Ray

I've talked to him, the charger at his business is only the portable charger for the volt, but he does have a J1772 charger at his home up to 16A. It's a 'clipper creek' charger, I will PM you his details.

Lex.

Interesting. I've been hassled by some school friends to go to a reunion in Pt. Macquarie over the Easter weekend - I'm not keen for several reasons, but was also wondering about how I could take the Tesla. Which hotel is it?

It's 'The Observatory' opposite town beach. Very nice and carbon neutral. 50kW of panels on the roof. You're from Port? I'll be out of town for easter. I'm not sure on when they will be provided with the charger yet, but I'll be sure to post when I know something solid.

Got confirmation today...on ANL Barega. Getting closer!
Ya - same ship. Into Melbourne tomorrow and Sydney on Saturday.

Ray

- - - Updated - - -

It's 'The Observatory' opposite town beach. Very nice and carbon neutral. 50kW of panels on the roof. You're from Port? I'll be out of town for easter. I'm not sure on when they will be provided with the charger yet, but I'll be sure to post when I know something solid.

Tesla say "in early talks with Observatory" and "could be up and running within a month".

Ray

Cheers. I spent 3 years there finishing school before taking a traineeship in Sydney - 1979-1981 inclusive. Went back often until Dad died and Mum moved away in the early 90s. Since then only called through visiting some friends in Laurieton, before they too moved away.

Cheers. I spent 3 years there finishing school before taking a traineeship in Sydney - 1979-1981 inclusive. Went back often until Dad died and Mum moved away in the early 90s. Since then only called through visiting some friends in Laurieton, before they too moved away.
All before my time! Laurieton is a really nice quiet town to visit though. Port will be a hive of activity in Easter with all the tourists in!

G'day again, I looking at picking up my car in Sydney and driving up to Brisbane. To that end, does anyone know of a charger at or near Coffs Harbour in NSW?

Ray

Hi Ray, I have been looking into this as I am considering to make a trip from Bribie Island to Canberra via Sydney.
I was in contact with the Big 4 Camping in Coffs Harbour and I understand that they might have a 3 phase power socket 5 pins over there but I am waiting for confirmation from the manager if it's available for use against payment of course.
If yes, you would need to get a mobile 3-phase charger that allows you to charge the car overnight. I am currently working on that and Gabz posting over here in this thread could eventually help us out as well.
Our cars are on the same ship.
I will follow-up on this topic once I get answer from Coffs Harbour.

One of the major reasons for me not attending. I know what Port is like, & the highway will be chaotic.

Yes, the highway gets crazy (usually the other direction that i'm going). The tourists are good for the town and people are out having a great time, I just try to steer clear of the town centre during those times though. Having a lock up park with an HPWC right at the beach would be handy indeed.

I have just noticed that My Tesla page has a document on how to use a CHAdeMO adapter.
Does anyone know if we are going to be offered one?

Pretty sure you could order one now if you wanted.

Mind you - I can only identify 1 CHADeMO charger in Sydney - and 5 in Australia... Currently there are more options to supercharge in Sydney.

Last edited:
Some more info on the 10/15 AMP chargers.

1. The one from TeslaMotors will ONLY do 10 AMP; stick it in a 15 AMP outlet and it still only does 10 AMP.

2. The one from Patrick at ElectricAutos does 15AMP; to do 10 AMP you need an addon box from JayCar for $70.

3. There are some from Europe that do a whole range but are quite expensive; still working on them.

Ray