Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Brains-trust.

I really need a mobile connector of some sort to get 200kms away (and then back) during Easter. I've done the trip before with 1% spare staying 1 night but over Easter I need to take into account 4 nights of scary vampires (5-10 KMs per night) and possible Easter traffic.

What are the best options for a solution that will work with a 10 A circuit that I can get my hands on in the next 7 days?

Hi Brains-trust.

I really need a mobile connector of some sort to get 200kms away (and then back) during Easter. I've done the trip before with 1% spare staying 1 night but over Easter I need to take into account 4 nights of scary vampires (5-10 KMs per night) and possible Easter traffic.

What are the best options for a solution that will work with a 10 A circuit that I can get my hands on in the next 7 days?

well if it were me, I'd buy a wall charger and connect a 240v plug to it. You can limit the current with the dip switches inside it to 10amps

Let us know how you get on... We may all be doing that sooner or later...

At this stage that's my plan for charging in general, as I don't anticipate any need for more than 10A charging for our intended usage pattern. Talking to Mitchell neither he nor Tesla 'recommend' it (largely for liability reasons I suspect, since the wall charger is not intended to be plugged in to unknown quality source wiring and doesn't have thermal protection) but seemed to confirm that it was a viable option. It also means you potentially get access to 15A outlets since you could manually change the current setting if needed.

Hi. I can attest to the fact that the JPson adaptor cable works well with Chargepoint at 7 Kw. It does get warm, but it is a lot better than nothing if you are desperate for a few electrons! It does get a bit warm though!

Hi guys just a heads up that we're going to be bringing in adapters similar to JPson at a cheaper price. Should be here in a couple of weeks if you are happy to wait. Like Dborn I've tested it and it's working fine.

Very importantly though, please be aware that if you DON'T have dual chargers, you will only be able to charge at 16A EVEN IF the "Non-Tesla" charging station is rated for 30A. The reason is Tesla's internal wiring configuration - there's quite a bit of info on the HK forums. Those with dual chargers will be able to charge at 30A. Our adapter is rated at 30A.

I've also been using a Clipper Creek 15A mobile charger in conjunction with the adapter and it works perfectly. Send me a PM if you need the model number.

I'll let you know when the adapter comes in.

I know its a long shot to ask but.. Can anyone in Melbourne help me out for a loan (test) a mobile charger for this weekend? I need to go to Philip island Via Whitlesea & back again. Staying overnight @ both locations. I figure anyone with one will probable be using it this weekend but I have to ask.. its a 580 km round trip not including picking up the charger.

When you drill the hole put something inside to prevent you from damaging the electronic components.
The plastic shell seems to grab the spiral grooves of the drill bit and really drives the drill inwards as you break through.
Yep, that happened a bit (before I read this) but I was careful and all is ok.

Cabled from Wall Charger to 32 A plug. From there we made a 10A plug to 32A socket which works perfectly. Also have the parts for a 32A socket to 15A plug to give me three charge options.

It it works a treat!

image.jpg

Its to a bit big and cumbersome but now I can travel at Easter. When a proper UMC comes out I might keep at work and get a 32 A socket put in.

Looks good Mike,
Just be aware that if you bought the orange cable from Bunnings its rated at 15 Amps.
You can set the Pilot signal in the Charge Connector to 16 Amps and the car will automatically pick this rate when you plug in.
Runs warm near the ends of the cable when running at 15 Amp but at 16 Amps it starts to get really hot. Don't ask me how I know this!
Dial back to 15 Amps from the charge screen before starting to charge and lower if you are using any of the converters in your picture.
Of course I am not qualified in any way to give electrical advice except to say be careful.
P.S. Got an email from Clipper Creek today to say my 15 Amp charge cable is on its way so Ill post pictures when it arrives.

Yep, that happened a bit (before I read this) but I was careful and all is ok.

Cabled from Wall Charger to 32 A plug. From there we made a 10A plug to 32A socket which works perfectly. Also have the parts for a 32A socket to 15A plug to give me three charge options.

It it works a treat!

View attachment 76425

Its to a bit big and cumbersome but now I can travel at Easter. When a proper UMC comes out I might keep at work and get a 32 A socket put in.
Actually, had you used 5 core 6mm2 cable, you would have had another option with 3 phase. Just wire up the extensions with single phase. They did exactly that with my boat at the marina!