Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, had you used 5 core 6mm2 cable, you would have had another option with 3 phase. Just wire up the extensions with single phase. They did exactly that with my boat at the marina!
I used correctly spec'd cable (6mm) for 32 A from an electrical wholesaler we use :) I just dialed the car to 10 amps to use as my (always cautious, retired electrical engineer) Dad put a 10A overload protection device on the end of the 10A connection. The 16A dip switches blew it straight away before I set the car manually.

The wall charger is only single phase so I didn't bother with 3 phase connections.

The Mobile Connector is the main current issue but on April 2 I finally plugged my J1772 adaptor (referred to last year) into the new Chatswood EV charger at Westfield under the PV array. All good but I only bought 1 kWh. I can now use the chargepoint network, but would have to take a very long lunch.

Attachments

• Tesla-with-Chargepoint_April2.JPG
    Tesla-with-Chargepoint_April2.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 370
The Mobile Connector is the main current issue but on April 2 I finally plugged my J1772 adaptor (referred to last year) into the new Chatswood EV charger at Westfield under the PV array. All good but I only bought 1 kWh. I can now use the chargepoint network, but would have to take a very long lunch.

that location has 1 tesla hwpc installed at it, 2 fridays ago it should of been installed according to the the electrician. maybe the install got pushed back when did you visit ? (looks like it is there dborn has confirmed)

you guys need to check in on plugshare more..

Last edited:
I expect this has been discussed in the past but can anyone succinctly summarise what makes the UMC from Euro 240V markets unsuitable for use here (other than plug issues obviously)? It seems strange both that Tesla seem to have had to develop the local version from scratch (rather than relatively simple modifications to the Euro version) and that there's not more interest in purchasing Euro versions and putting appropriate plugs on them (legal issues aside).

I expect this has been discussed in the past but can anyone succinctly summarise what makes the UMC from Euro 240V markets unsuitable for use here (other than plug issues obviously)? It seems strange both that Tesla seem to have had to develop the local version from scratch (rather than relatively simple modifications to the Euro version) and that there's not more interest in purchasing Euro versions and putting appropriate plugs on them (legal issues aside).

Various members of the Tesla community have all bought UMCs from both Europe and the US, and as far as I'm aware - there's nothing wrong with them. You just need to watch the amp draw - a lot of the UMCs draw 16A, which is no good for our 15A GPOs. Other than that, just buy the right adapters and you're fine.

Send me a PM if you need any help or recommendations.

Cheers
Tim

Hi all,

Forgive me if someone has covered this already in the thread... why can't we purchase this official adapter from Tesla US to use at charge point J1772 sites:

Tesla Gear Shop SAE J1772

Seems to lock and work ok in this video:

Tesla Model S J1772 Charging - YouTube

J.

Both of these accessories are for USA specification Model S that has a unique Tesla proprietary charge port like this.

image.jpg

All Australian Model S have a Mennekes Type 2 (IEC62196) charge port like European Model S below and are not compatible.

image.jpg

I would agree that a standard 10A home socket cable is an absolute must - very slow but at least could be used in an emergency absolutely anywhere. After that it really comes down to what are most common as charging points in the "wild". I suspect that will also depend on where people hope to travel. Given the range of the model S I would have thought it better to focus more on what is most commonly available away from the city centres where there might be one option only? Does that mean it is more likely to be caravan park or similar if standard 10A cable is already available?

Most caravan parks have 15A as this is required for RVs.

The Tesla UMC that I have seen had cable rating for 32A and had a (proprietary I think) bus-like adapter near the end where the 10A plug was attached with about 1 metre of cable. I assume that it will also take a 15A plug and maybe 32A based upon the cable rating. When (IFFFF) it comes out it should be the best solution. Other forum topics have this being late Q2.... Q3 ....Q4.

Both of these accessories are for USA specification Model S that has a unique Tesla proprietary charge port like this.

View attachment 77419

All Australian Model S have a Mennekes Type 2 (IEC62196) charge port like European Model S below and are not compatible.

View attachment 77420
Now why, oh why, would Tesla do this? What could possibly be the logic? Why the hell not keep it standard?

We don't have European USB standards v US USB. For one company to introduce the unnecessary variance... Go figure...

Now why, oh why, would Tesla do this? What could possibly be the logic? Why the hell not keep it standard?

We don't have European USB standards v US USB. For one company to introduce the unnecessary variance... Go figure...

the techical reason is 3phase power. your USB example isn't valid because we already have the variance in grid voltages Australia and Europe are 230/400V USA and japan is 110/230V . and 2nd it's am improvement to use a industry standard plug/socket instead of the equivalent of a apple lighting connector.

the techical reason is 3phase power. your USB example isn't valid because we already have the variance in grid voltages Australia and Europe are 230/400V USA and japan is 110/230V . and 2nd it's am improvement to use a industry standard plug/socket instead of the equivalent of a apple lighting connector.

I understand the Apple analogy and perfectly agree with it, ie bad to push your own non standard plug, BUT the differences that you are mentioning are surley differences that exist on the otherside of the supercharger or wall charger. Not on the car side. Different volts/amps/phases in ... Same juice out be because same battery. So why not standardise it at that point? Otherwise it looks like they are creating region DVDs all over again...

I understand the Apple analogy and perfectly agree with it, ie bad to push your own non standard plug, BUT the differences that you are mentioning are surley differences that exist on the otherside of the supercharger or wall charger. Not on the car side. Different volts/amps/phases in ... Same juice out be because same battery. So why not standardise it at that point? Otherwise it looks like they are creating region DVDs all over again...

Nope, except for supercharging the charger is inside the car (hence dual chargers vs single as an option), so what enters the vehicle in Australia/Europe (3-phase) is different to what enters U.S. models.

This morning my patience failed and I bought a Holden Volt Type1 to 10A 3 Pin mobile charge cord at Northside Holden at St Leonards in Sydney, and plugged it in to the Type1 to Type2 adapter I had made up in China previously (trialled at the Chatswood Chargepoint charger). The Volt unit costs $385 and the Chinese adapter approximately half that. It is currently charging my tesla from a 10A socket at the front of the house at 10km/hour and the Volt box has a green light saying no faults. You might have to scout around for these Volt units but they are out there. With this combination I can do Chargepoint and 10A plugs. One may also be able to plug into 15A sockets at 10A - but not confirmed by the instruction book. I think Timpoo can get some Type1 to Type2 adapters at the moment.

Of course, this afternoon I have been just advised that the delivery of a few Tesla mobile cables to Signature holders is imminent, so my timing is perfect as usual. But for non-sig owners delivery is still an unknown, and the above combination may be a way to get around a short term problem.

This morning my patience failed and I bought a Holden Volt Type1 to 10A 3 Pin mobile charge cord at Northside Holden at St Leonards in Sydney, and plugged it in to the Type1 to Type2 adapter I had made up in China previously (trialled at the Chatswood Chargepoint charger). The Volt unit costs $385 and the Chinese adapter approximately half that. It is currently charging my tesla from a 10A socket at the front of the house at 10km/hour and the Volt box has a green light saying no faults. You might have to scout around for these Volt units but they are out there. With this combination I can do Chargepoint and 10A plugs. One may also be able to plug into 15A sockets at 10A - but not confirmed by the instruction book. I think Timpoo can get some Type1 to Type2 adapters at the moment.

Of course, this afternoon I have been just advised that the delivery of a few Tesla mobile cables to Signature holders is imminent, so my timing is perfect as usual. But for non-sig owners delivery is still an unknown, and the above combination may be a way to get around a short term problem.

If it makes your feel any better I have just spent $1000 on a specially designed Clipper Creek UMC and its currently in Australian Customs for the last 5 days.
Should arrive about the same time as my Tesla UMC.