Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my patience failed and I bought a Holden Volt Type1 to 10A 3 Pin mobile charge cord at Northside Holden at St Leonards in Sydney, and plugged it in to the Type1 to Type2 adapter I had made up in China previously (trialled at the Chatswood Chargepoint charger). The Volt unit costs $385 and the Chinese adapter approximately half that. It is currently charging my tesla from a 10A socket at the front of the house at 10km/hour and the Volt box has a green light saying no faults. You might have to scout around for these Volt units but they are out there. With this combination I can do Chargepoint and 10A plugs. One may also be able to plug into 15A sockets at 10A - but not confirmed by the instruction book. I think Timpoo can get some Type1 to Type2 adapters at the moment.

Of course, this afternoon I have been just advised that the delivery of a few Tesla mobile cables to Signature holders is imminent, so my timing is perfect as usual. But for non-sig owners delivery is still an unknown, and the above combination may be a way to get around a short term problem.

This is good news for sig owners (and everyone else) - sorry to those who bought the Clipper Creek (including me!).

Anyway yes adapters are available but I've been told I can't promote anything on this forum so I'll just leave it up to you guys to navigate your way to the relevant site...

I believe it is included for Sigs. There was no mention of cost when I got a call yesterday.

It is no cost for the sig customers, which is a very welcome gesture by Tesla since the early sig customers left deposits with Tesla for years. I hope to receive mine tomorrow. The initial unit will have a 10A plug but I am told it has a lot of built-in flexibility in the basic design, and it is worth waiting for. I have no information as to future pricing.

Hi Guys

By way of general range data for Victoria I have the following trips based from Melbourne ( either Dandenong or Sherbrooke) at near range limits.

Happy to report the range projection has been spot on every time. EVtrip calculator has also been spot on each time.

Sherbrooke to Bendigo and return to Dandenong- stated distance 430Kms.

Actual reading 428KmsOdometer readout Trip run at exactly speed limit all the way but NO aircon running. Arrived back with 34kms theoretic range left. Ambient 19 Deg C. 1 person about 75Kgs of test equipment with me.

Sherbrooke to Sale( Eastern Victoria- Gippsland) and back to Dandenong stated distance of 410Kms round trip back to Dandenong. Odometer actual 411Kms . Arrived back with 59kms theoretic in tank left. Ran at speed limit inc 110Km for about 100kms. No air con needed 19 Deg C.

Having now done Bendigo twice the numbers where identical for BOTH.

Ran the Sale trip today - absolutely spot projections vs real world performance.

I hope this data helps us with the quest for chargers and our confidence to recommend range based numbers to Tesla.

Cheers Keiron

It is no cost for the sig customers, which is a very welcome gesture by Tesla since the early sig customers left deposits with Tesla for years. I hope to receive mine tomorrow. The initial unit will have a 10A plug but I am told it has a lot of built-in flexibility in the basic design, and it is worth waiting for. I have no information as to future pricing.
I used my mobile connector for the first time this evening, including the rain squall. All held up well. It charges at 2 kW which is about right for 10 amps. As I was at the venue for 3 hours, I got 30km of range. A lot better than nothing. It is an excellent design, and is capable (with proprietary adapters) of charging to 32 amps single phase or 16 amps 3 phase. Those other adapters are not available yet. ( pigtails) Overall excellent build quality, simple and elegant, and very innovative design. The adaptor pigtail determines the available current the unit can deliver. It is IP 44 rated. Ie not for immersion, but splash resistant. The cabling is the same quality and size as our existing HPWC. Comes in its own carry bag and surprisingly heavy. The car connector is identical to our existing one.

I used my mobile connector for the first time this evening, including the rain squall. All held up well. It charges at 2 kW which is about right for 10 amps. As I was at the venue for 3 hours, I got 30km of range. A lot better than nothing. It is an excellent design, and is capable (with proprietary adapters) of charging to 32 amps single phase or 16 amps 3 phase. Those other adapters are not available yet. ( pigtails) Overall excellent build quality, simple and elegant, and very innovative design. The adaptor pigtail determines the available current the unit can deliver. It is IP 44 rated. Ie not for immersion, but splash resistant. The cabling is the same quality and size as our existing HPWC. Comes in its own carry bag and surprisingly heavy. The car connector is identical to our existing one.

Any chance of a picky?

UMC 2.jpg
UMC.jpg
Here is the UMC. I have no doubt that when the other adaptors become available, this will become the standard charging option offered with the car as it is 10Kw capable in both single and 3 phase.

Very interesting Keiron, certainly impressive that the predictions can be that accurate. Presumably no significant wind contribution since EV Trip Planner at least doesn't take that in to account. Does anyone know for sure whether 6.2 Range Assurance includes wind data? I read speculation to that effect somewhere but nothing definitive.

And exciting info about the UMC Dborn, glad to see they've done a good job and it will eventually handle more than 10A charging. My Wall Charger is due to turn up today, first bit of concrete Tesla interaction! :)

View attachment 78223View attachment 78224Here is the UMC. I have no doubt that when the other adaptors become available, this will become the standard charging option offered with the car as it is 10Kw capable in both single and 3 phase.

Mine was kindly delivered by Mitchell today and I am trying it out during off-peak hours tonight. I agree with Dborn, it's very well made. Mitchell said this is the same as the European UMC except for the Australian plug adapter. Had this been delivered with the car, I would have probably wouldn't have bothered with the HWPC and just used a 32A single phase plug. Now comes the search for adapters……I think 15A would be next, then 16A three phase.

Mine was kindly delivered by Mitchell today and I am trying it out during off-peak hours tonight. I agree with Dborn, it's very well made. Mitchell said this is the same as the European UMC except for the Australian plug adapter. Had this been delivered with the car, I would have probably wouldn't have bothered with the HWPC and just used a 32A single phase plug. Now comes the search for adapters……I think 15A would be next, then 16A three phase.
There are a few adaptors for this available on the various Tesla European websites but plug pins are probably not compatible.
Unit looks like it has possibilities tho and (once more adapters are available) doesn't need the current setting a few other units need.

Used the UMC in the rain and wind yesterday, outside for 5 hours. Worked fine, no issues with water. Interesting though, i first plugged into a 15 amp socket - power was on, but car refused to charge. Plugged into a 10amp socket immediately after and charging started without a hitch. Makes no sense. I have asked Mitchell, and he will look into it. He too would have expected it to work. Signalling should be from the dongle not the power source.

Used the UMC in the rain and wind yesterday, outside for 5 hours. Worked fine, no issues with water. Interesting though, i first plugged into a 15 amp socket - power was on, but car refused to charge. Plugged into a 10amp socket immediately after and charging started without a hitch. Makes no sense. I have asked Mitchell, and he will look into it. He too would have expected it to work. Signalling should be from the dongle not the power source.

Possible reason - the earth pin on a 15A plug is larger and hence a 10A plug (on the end of the UMC tail) inserted in to a 15A socket may not make a good enough earth contact? Without a good earth contact the UMC may say there is a fault and not allow charging to commence?