Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have been following this thread along to try and ascertain what the main issue is for connecting your Tesla to a standard 10A outlet. I am involved in range of products that make a 15 to 10 amp adaption possible, but from what I am reading, this is possibly not the only issue as there is also a difference in plug top that needs to be overcome first (I may be wrong)? Could someone please explain to me exactly what the issue's are when needing to connect to a standard 10amp wall socket? And even with connecting to 15A power?
Also, just a couple of questions for @meloccom , Does that little pig tail lead in your cord set have a 10A or 15A plug top on it? Does the socket of that same lead have a current rating marked on it?
To answer part of your question. The current pigtail is 10 amp. They will be coming out with a 15 amp pigtail. Our Tesla connector is versatile since it will take all currents single phase to 32 amps and then up to 16 amp 3 phase. Adaption to those sockets is not required IF you have the correct interchangeable pigtail.
The remaining pigtail adapters are coming " Soon" which means sometime in the next 3 years, maybe next week!! Maybe next year!! The pigtail has electronics embedded in it which signal the car as to the maximum load that can be drawn/ supplied.

Thanks for the responses to my questions.
So is there any sort of protection to stop say 32amps being drawn from a 10amp powerpoint, does the charge system know what type of pig tail/connector is being used?
Absolutely. In fact, the car remembers the location as well. I parked and charged once at a location with both 7 and 10 kW chargers available. When I plugged in to the 10 kW one on the second occasion, it would not allow me to increase the charge current to 10. ( there is a work around, if you know how). Our wall connectors at home have dip switches to set maximum current that can be drawn and the mobile connector has resistors or something similar built into the pigtail connector that does the same thing. You can set the car to draw LESS than the maximum but the car will not allow you to draw more.

Good to see we have a J1772 solution, it would be nice if there was a US style solution of one single piece instead of the two ends connected by a cable. Perhaps with a 3D printer this would be a possibility with low volume of units.
Most 3D printers use material that has a relatively low melting temperature, or is unsuitable to use in this kind of high current electrical application for some other reason. I believe the Tesla J1772 adapter (North American) is made of aluminum. The adapter currently available from 3rd parties for Australia is the most functional and economical because it uses off the shelf parts that are already rated for the task.

Hi guys - previously it has been impossible for a single charger Tesla to charge at the full rate (normally 30A) offered by public charging stations. This is because of the way our cars are wired and has been covered extensively.

Well happy to report that this has now been solved - my car (with single charger) is charging at the full 30A rate using a J1772 to Type 2 adapter.

Mods: this is purely an informational message and public service announcement that benefits all Tesla owners with single chargers.

2015-05-11 14.24.40.jpg
2015-05-11 14.49.57.jpg

Hi guys - previously it has been impossible for a single charger Tesla to charge at the full rate (normally 30A) offered by public charging stations. This is because of the way our cars are wired and has been covered extensively.

Well happy to report that this has now been solved - my car (with single charger) is charging at the full 30A rate using a J1772 to Type 2 adapter.

Mods: this is purely an informational message and public service announcement that benefits all Tesla owners with single chargers

timpoo, was this an OTA update or hardware fix?

Whats the process? Do you need a special card? Cost?

brewster, it looks like a ChargePoint. You need an adapter and a free membership. To get the membership you need to sign up at ChargePoint Australia and they will issue you a couple of RFID tags you need to use the chargers. ChargePoints are all over the place in Melbourne and other Australian cities and are usually free. The ChargePoint app details all their locations.

Another question: is anyone on the forum in Bairnsdale, Victoria or nearby and have a 6kW connection available by chance? I met a guy at the Richmond opening that probably fits that bill but other than his first name I don't have any details to get in touch with him, so hopefully he might be on the forum. I'm looking at possible options for getting to Dinner Plain in August and a day in Bairnsdale might be one way to do it if I can charge at 6kW rather than using the UMC.

Another question: is anyone on the forum in Bairnsdale, Victoria or nearby and have a 6kW connection available by chance? I met a guy at the Richmond opening that probably fits that bill but other than his first name I don't have any details to get in touch with him, so hopefully he might be on the forum. I'm looking at possible options for getting to Dinner Plain in August and a day in Bairnsdale might be one way to do it if I can charge at 6kW rather than using the UMC.

While I don't know the local geography, is going the other direction (via Hume Hwy) an option? I just had a look at PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! and it seems there are Telsa HPWC owners in both Wangaratta and Eurobin who may be able to help.