Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connection (up to 4 bars) but no 3G indicator (nor connection)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

took delivery four days ago - and besides the incredible satisfying experience - I do have an issue.

I have mobile connectivity, up to 4 bars depending on my location, but there is no 3G/E/gprs indicator (so there is no 3G "written" in the status bar), nor do I have connection (so no Internet, no Navigation, no ...).

Did the reboot already (a couple of times), no change.

Searched the forum for similar posts, but did not find anything.

Any ideas?

PS: got a case logged at Tesla Support, they will call me back as they needed to refer it to the technical guys, and wanted a timeframe when I would have a WiFi connection.

Cheers

I have this problem at my father-in-law's where AT&T uses a "partner" infrastructure. AT&T's network in the US normally presents MCC/MNC 310/410, but the "partner" presents MCC/MNC 311/190. My older phones complain that I was "roaming" (when I wasn't) while there, but newer phones don't complain anymore. The Tesla seems to have the same problem - it thinks it's roaming, so it doesn't make a data connection.

The fact I go to my in-laws' only 2-3 times a year, only on weekends, combined with what seems to be a partnership issue between AT&T and Tesla in getting smart-enough people together and using only e-mail go-betweens, seems to be creating a problem in getting it resolved.

Tesla and AT&T apparently don't have that great of an engineering relationship. When a botched AT&T Internet filter broke Slacker and web browsing for certain sites in the midwest, I reported it through Tesla. The problem dragged. After several days, no progress... that's when I engaged some "other" contacts I had, and within an hour I got a root cause and an ETA for a fix.