Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector 3 red blinking lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Have you tried the reset button on the back? If you hold it down some x number of seconds while plugged in it force resets it. My mobile connector does not like a certain 110 circuit in my garage for unknown reasons, and this is what it would do after a few seconds of being plugged in. Neither Tesla nor my electrician got to the bottom of it, but now I have an HPWC and don't have to care.

Edit - I had to "reset" the mobile connector every time I plugged the car in to that circuit, but just once. Once the car was charging, all was good until I unplugged/replugged it.

My HPWC has worked flawlessly for the past 3 months. Last night I come home and plug in and notice that the Green light has been replaced by a Red light. I simply reset and it worked fine. Never had any issues with my mobile connector, though, so I can't offer any advice. Just thought it was weird that we both had a similar issue at the same time.

Good luck. By chance if you don't get it fixed. If it is the one that came with the car, its under the same duration (4 year) warranty as the car I believe. If it is an extra one you bought, it has a 1 year warranty by default. Tesla will test it and replace quickly if needed.

Got the same 3 red blinks. Had been happening once in a while and it would seemingly fix itself after a while. Today, it failed again and it seems to be for good. Holding down the reset button on the back while plugging in didn't help. Changing sockets didn't help. I think it is dead. It was my original gen 1 charger from 2017 that came with the car, it had been the primary thing I used to charge the car since.

Mine also did that intermittently. I would walk out to an uncharged car and red light every so often. Unplug/replug and it would usually go on its happy way. I replaced the cheap Leviton 14-50 receptacle with one of the 'industrial' models recommended elsewhere here on TMC. No change.

After a few months of this nonsense, I checked every connection of my wiring and found that one of the wires at the 50A breaker in the panel was not completely tight. It was hand tight, but not thoroughly cinched. Cinched it down and the problem went away forever.

Honestly I felt kind of stupid after all of this because I had thoroughly checked the wiring at the receptacle multiple times but only visually checked at the electrical panel, figuring the electrician got it right. This problem started occurring when we moved into a different house: I had zero problems in the previous house. Silly me for not putting a screwdriver/hex driver on 100% of the connections (and not thinking hard enough about having zero problems in the previous house) as soon as the problem occurred.

To anybody having intermittent red lights on the charger, it sure is handy to be able to try another receptacle. If you keep getting red lights on multiple receptacles (especially at a totally different house), then you would know the problem is with your charger, not somewhere in your house wiring.

Last edited:
Mine also did that intermittently. I would walk out to an uncharged car and red light every so often. Unplug/replug and it would usually go on its happy way. I replaced the cheap Leviton 14-50 receptacle with one of the 'industrial' models recommended elsewhere here on TMC. No change.

After a few months of this nonsense, I checked every connection of my wiring and found that one of the wires at the 50A breaker in the panel was not completely tight. It was hand tight, but not thoroughly cinched. Cinched it down and the problem went away forever.

Honestly I felt kind of stupid after all of this because I had thoroughly checked the wiring at the receptacle multiple times but only visually checked at the electrical panel, figuring the electrician got it right. This problem started occurring when we moved into a different house: I had zero problems in the previous house. Silly me for not putting a screwdriver/hex driver on 100% of the connections (and not thinking hard enough about having zero problems in the previous house) as soon as the problem occurred.

To anybody having intermittent red lights on the charger, it sure is handy to be able to try another receptacle. If you keep getting red lights on multiple receptacles (especially at a totally different house), then you would know the problem is with your charger, not somewhere in your house wiring.
Interesting. I tried 3 receptors at my house, will go to neighbour and see tomorrow.