Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector = 32A Max?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my mobile connector delivered on my new 2022 MXLR. Got a nema 14-50 installed.

The mobile connector says 32A max on the back of it. I thought it was supposed to be 48a-50a…? Right now, I’m charging at 32a max… Anyone know if I got an older mobile connector? Thanks!

So is the only way to get 48a at home by using the Tesla wall charger? Thanks.
A few years ago the Version 1 UMC could charge up to 40 amps, I kept one of those from a previous purchase. But today, 32 is the max. For normal charging, I use the version 2 HPWC, actually I have two of them installed load sharing a 60 amp circuit.

Reactions: SilverUnicorn
I just got my mobile connector delivered on my new 2022 MXLR. Got a nema 14-50 installed.

The mobile connector says 32A max on the back of it. I thought it was supposed to be 48a-50a…? Right now, I’m charging at 32a max… Anyone know if I got an older mobile connector? Thanks!
First of all, an EV can never draw 48A out of a NEMA 14-50, because an EV is a continuous load, and continuous loads are limited to 80% of the capacity of the circuit and outlet (so 40A). And the newest mobile connector caps out at 32A; this is a limitation of the mobile connector itself, which can't draw the full 40A the outlet is capable of supplying.

If you want 48A charging, as others have said, you'll need a wall connector or other brand of EVSE that supports 48A continuous (which requires wiring capable of supporting 60A due to the 80% rule). The wall connector or other brand of EVSE must be hardwired because there aren't any outlets that can support 60A of current. You also cannot use the same wiring you installed for the 14-50 unless you used wiring capable of supplying 60A.

First of all, an EV can never draw 48A out of a NEMA 14-50, because an EV is a continuous load, and continuous loads are limited to 80% of the capacity of the circuit and outlet (so 40A). And the newest mobile connector caps out at 32A; this is a limitation of the mobile connector itself, which can't draw the full 40A the outlet is capable of supplying.

If you want 48A charging, as others have said, you'll need a wall connector or other brand of EVSE that supports 48A continuous (which requires wiring capable of supporting 60A due to the 80% rule). The wall connector or other brand of EVSE must be hardwired because there aren't any outlets that can support 60A of current. You also cannot use the same wiring you installed for the 14-50 unless you used wiring capable of supplying 60A.

Right, This OP, even if they bought a tesla wall connector or some other brand that was capable of 60amp circuit / 48 continuous, because they installed a 14-50 and it can not be run at 50amp for continuous charging, the best they will be able to get out of that for charging a car is 40amp.

Thats 8 more amps than they are getting now.

Its Highly unlikely that an additional 8amps of power will make any meaningful impact on this OPs actual usage of the vehicle. To get 48amps they are going to have to:

1. Buy a tesla wall connector or some other evse that supports 48amp charging
2. have the 14-50 removed and hard wire the evse they purchase
3. Verify that the wiring ran for the 14-50 is actually capable of 60amp instead of the 50amp it was originally installed for (probably not).
4. Remedy point 3 by having appropriate wiring re run for 60amp / 48amp continuous
5. Possibly remove GFCI breaker that should have been installed with the 14-50 for EVSE charging, and replacing it with a non GFCI breaker as the wall connector EVSE doesnt need a GFCI breaker.

Or... they can just go with what they already have installed, which is 32amp charging.

EDIT: I see they mention they ran the appropriate cabling so if thats the case, no cabling would need to be replaced.

Ok got it. I actually did use the 60a wiring but will need to take out the 50a breaker and put a 60a so that I can connect a wall charger if I decide to go that route. Thank you all for the info.
You should not change the breaker unless or until you buy and install the wall connector. Otherwise, leave it the way it is now.

Most folks would install 6 gauge copper wire for a 14-50, which is also fine for a 60 amp circuit. Sounds like you are in that camp.

I have read a lot (lot lot) of posts here where people install romex wiring and not THHN, and they have different ratings. No difference in an application of a 14-50, but different if someone is trying to stay code compliant and run it at 60amp / 48 continuous.

A few years ago the Version 1 UMC could charge up to 40 amps, I kept one of those from a previous purchase. But today, 32 is the max. For normal charging, I use the version 2 HPWC, actually I have two of them installed load sharing a 60 amp circuit.
AFAIK, they haven't done anything to nerf the gen 1 mobile connector's limit. I don't use mine often, but I know I charged at 40A less than a year ago, probably even within the last 3 months. Since all new Teslas have 48A on-board chargers, it should still be possible to charge at 40A on any Tesla IF you can get ahold of a gen 1 mobile connector, at least in theory.

Isn't current gen corded Mobile connector does 40amp still? Out of stock though...

Also, if/when u get WC, don't get rid of 14-50, leave it as backup, that's what most folks do.

Correct. The Corded Mobile Connector (the one with the permanently attached NEMA 14-50 plug) can supply up to 40A. They're occasionally available in the on-line store...I bought one when it was available a few months ago.

Reference: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/NA_Corded_Mobile_Connector_Owners_Manual.pdf

AFAIK, they haven't done anything to nerf the gen 1 mobile connector's limit. I don't use mine often, but I know I charged at 40A less than a year ago, probably even within the last 3 months. Since all new Teslas have 48A on-board chargers, it should still be possible to charge at 40A on any Tesla IF you can get ahold of a gen 1 mobile connector, at least in theory.

Mostly correct. All new Teslas have 48A on-board chargers, EXCEPT the Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive, which has an on-board charger that supports up to 32A.

I've regularly used a Gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector (from my older Model S), plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, to charge a Palladium Model X at 40A. This does work in practice as you described.

Reference: Onboard Charger

My advice to OP (which is more pragmatic than technical) would be to see if 32A charging is "good enough" for your situation, before making any changes to your home charging setup (It sounds like you just got the car?).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mxnym
I just got my tesla in may of this year and got a 14-50 outlet installed. a 14-50 outlet charging an ev maxes out at 40amps. 40amps x250volts is about 10,000 watts of continuous power. ( with voltage sag it will be a little less) But the gen 2 mobile connector with the 14-50 plug maxes out at 32 amps (8,000 watts). This will be fine for most people but since i wanted faster charging i just bought a gen 1 mobile connector or a corded mobile connector. This older style maxes out at 40 amps (10,000 watts). Which is very noticable faster at 25% faster charging compaed to the gen 1's 32 amps.

FIY
the fastest possible charging at home is at 48amp (11,500-12,000 watts of power). This cannot be done with an outlet and must be harded wired with a tesla wall conector or another brand evsc that is 48amp capable.

just last week i swaped out my 14-50 outlet with a gen 3 wall connector and now i can finally charge at 48amps. My recommendation is just go for 48amps home charging from the start. Home charging are all forms of very slow charging and you really want the fastest charging possible.