Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone other than Tesla make a plug-in level 2 charger with the Tesla connector? The Tesla Mobile Connector keeps throwing errors and even with a replacement I need something that's better constructed and reliable.
You have created FIVE separate duplicate threads all over this forum with this same thing! Could you maybe wait until you get some answers on one of them first?

Honestly, you should do this immediately.
The Tesla Mobile Connector monitors the temperature at the 14-50 connector and will give you errors if the temp sensor detects a problem.
It's possible there is a problem inside the outlet the Tesla Mobile Connector is plugged into., A bad outlet or a loose or poorly torqued cable clamp might create enough resistance to overheat the connector and trigger a fault on the Tesla Mobile Connector.

How do you explain it throwing the same error on a 5-15 outlet?

I know right, there should be one generic charging equipment forum instead of individually separate ones for each car model.
There is. It's where these got consolidated and moved to.
That wasn't me that was the moderator moving my post around.
No it wasn't. I went to your profile before that to see how many of these there were, since I had encountered a few of them and found that you had created five separate ones, so I then reported it, and then a moderator collected them together to clean it up.

There is. It's where these got consolidated and moved to.

No it wasn't. I went to your profile before that to see how many of these there were, since I had encountered a few of them and found that you had created five separate ones, so I then reported it, and then a moderator collected them together to clean it up.

Which is the main thread, this one?

Which is the main thread, this one?
Right, it is a top level main section that is called "Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure". That's a topic thread section for charging equipment, so things like the mobile charging cords or wall connectors are more appropriate here. It's not specific to a Model S or a Model Y, so creating threads under every one of those car models makes them harder to find and gets duplicate answers going around in different places, wasting people's time replying to them.

There are some regional subsections under it if it's more related to North America or Europe or something, but the top level Charging Infrastructure section gets most of it.

That wasn't me that was the moderator moving my post around.

I moved one post (and you had a duplicate of the exact same post you had cross posted in at least one other subforum. I didnt look to see if you had made it elsewhere. We dont allow cross posting like that normally, but the one in the model 3 subforum I merged with an existing topic, rather than delete it because it was cross posted here.

Edit:. The mods for the other subforums they were posted to probably merged the other ones you created.

You could have posted this in one of those places, but not all of them.

A failed product at the beginning is much MORE likely than for it to happen three or four months in when you have been using it for quite a while. Those early ones are called "infant failures". A certain portion of electronics have tiny defects or borderline defects that will be stressed and revealed with a little bit of initial use. Those get replaced in warranty, and then the failure rates drop off for quite a while. Eventually, as the population of products ages for quite a long time, aging stress in the materials catches up to it, and failures start popping up more often. That's the rise at the other end of the "bathtub".

I hope you are right. But first impressions are hard to dismiss. So now I have the same question as the OP, looking for a non-Tesla level 2 charger, which after 20 replies, still hasn't been answered.

If Tesla can't even make a charging cable work what does that say about their cars?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I hope you are right. But first impressions are hard to dismiss. So now I have the same question as the OP, looking for a non-Tesla level 2 charger, which after 20 replies, still hasn't been answered.

If Tesla can't even make a charging cable work what does that say about their cars?
How about not drawing long term conclusions from your one personal anecdote? When my daughter was getting married, we rented a van to pick up tables and chairs to set up. It was a completely brand new GMC van with the new car smell with only 400 miles on the odometer. Guess what? The air conditioner didn't work, right out of the box!! That was not fun in June. I guess by your rationale, GM is incapable of making any functioning cars, and no one should have any faith in them, right?

I also bought a leaf blower from Black & Decker. It never worked from right out of the box brand new. I had to get a replacement shipped from them. I guess all Black & Decker stuff is unreliable too, huh?

It is just a statistical thing that happens. One out of XXX,XXX number of things just has a failed part, and that's what the warranty is for.

Reactions: GSP
How about not drawing long term conclusions from your one personal anecdote? When my daughter was getting married, we rented a van to pick up tables and chairs to set up. It was a completely brand new GMC van with the new car smell with only 400 miles on the odometer. Guess what? The air conditioner didn't work, right out of the box!! That was not fun in June. I guess by your rationale, GM is incapable of making any functioning cars, and no one should have any faith in them, right?

I also bought a leaf blower from Black & Decker. It never worked from right out of the box brand new. I had to get a replacement shipped from them. I guess all Black & Decker stuff is unreliable too, huh?

So you're comparing Tesla to GM and Black & Decker, two of the worst brands for quality.

Trying to move away from some of the increasingly off-topic argumentation.....

First, I recommend testing the suspect Mobile Connector at another location -- not just another wall outlet in the same house, but in a different house, ideally a few miles away, so as to be 100% sure that the problem is with the Mobile Connector, vs. an electrical issue that's affecting the entire house. I realize that @!igs says that another Mobile Connector doesn't throw the same faults, and that likely means that the one that does is damaged or defective; but I just want to cover all the bases.

Second, assuming (as is likely) that the first Mobile Connector fails testing at a second address, then return it to Tesla and get a replacement (assuming it's still under warranty). Even if you don't trust its quality, you can sell it on eBay or whatnot to cover some or all of the cost of a third-party replacement unit.

Third, as others have said, nobody but Tesla makes an EVSE with a Tesla plug, at least not AFAIK. Any EVSE with a J1772 plug can be used to charge a Tesla, though, with the help of Tesla's J1772-to-Tesla adapters. (Some third parties make similar adapters, too.) Lots of companies make these, although a lot of them are Level 1 (120v) only. Clipper Creek is very well-respected, although I don't know if any of their units are rated for both Level 1 and Level 2 use. (They definitely have portable Level 2 EVSEs, and I suspect they'd work on 120v with an adapter, but I don't know that for a fact. Digging deep into their spec sheets or asking them should clarify that point.) The latest Ford Mobile Power Cord is similar to Tesla's Mobile Connector, in that it uses removable plugs to support either Level 1 or Level 2 charging. AFAIK, Ford only provides NEMA 14-50 (240v) and NEMA 5-15 (120v) plugs; Tesla provides several other options. I've seen others that have built-in NEMA 14-50 plugs and adapters to let them plug into NEMA 5-15 outlets. I'd avoid products from unknown manufacturers on eBay, Amazon, or (most especially) AliExpress.

Fourth, I have seen third-party retailers swap J1772 and Tesla cables between products. This has generally been done to put J1772 plugs on Tesla Mobile Connectors or Tesla Wall Connectors, not to put Tesla plugs on third-party EVSEs; but it should be possible to do that if one really wanted to do so. I haven't perused their current offerings, but it might be worth checking with EVSE Adapters and/or QC Charge; they're two companies that do this sort of thing, or at least that sell the parts to enable such Franken-EVSEs to be made. Personally, I don't think it'd be worth the likely cost, since a J1772-to-Tesla adapter will do the job much more easily; but if you really wanted a Tesla plug on a non-Tesla EVSE, this would do the trick.

Finally, as others have said, a small number of any manufactured product will be defective. This forum is hardly awash in reports of defective Tesla Mobile Connectors, so I doubt if the problems that @!igs is reporting are common. I vaguely recall seeing one other thread about a defective Mobile Connector in over 3.5 years on this forum. Chances are that @!igs simply ran into the rare defective product. I understand that this is a bad experience, and this can create a negative emotional response; but please don't over-generalize it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Lectron makes one.

6Listing_def3ea46-4dc2-4a48-8aad-e4866575ede1_938x938.jpg