Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector and Chademo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model S today. Really good drive back from Heathrow although a few teething issues at hangover. Hopefully it should be plain sailing from now.

A couple of questions.

1) Do you know if it's possible to get a type two adaptor for the mobile cable set?

2) Is it worth getting the Chademo adaptor?

Cheers guys.

Picked up my Model S today. Really good drive back from Heathrow although a few teething issues at hangover. Hopefully it should be plain sailing from now.

A couple of questions.

1) Do you know if it's possible to get a type two adaptor for the mobile cable set?

2) Is it worth getting the Chademo adaptor?

Cheers guys.

I don't even have mine and here am I try to answer your questions ;)

You can't get a type 2 adapter for the UMC I think you need a type 2 cable. Something to do with the control gubbins that are inside the UMC are also in the type 2 charging points, so put the two together and they have an argument between themselves :D

The Chademo is very useful if you are doing longer journeys that are not well served by Superchargers. They deliver a DC charge about 50% of the Supercharger delivery and costs £6 for 30 mins. I believe it equates to 40-60 miles, so could definately get you out of trouble. I'm going to get one more for insurance than a definite need.

Sorry to hear about the hangover though :D. Predictive typing I hope :eek:.

What teething issues did you have? Fore warned is fore armed and all that. :)

Reactions: paso904
Sorry to hear about the hangover though :D. Predictive typing I hope :eek:.

What teething issues did you have? Fore warned is fore armed and all that. :)

Awesome, thanks very much. Yes, sorry about the typo.

To be honest the entire process wasn't great compared to some other brands I've bought from. Here's just some issues today.

1) Most of the staff seemed fairly generic. They'll all acted like robots.
2) The car was missing the manual, goodie bag, agreed cables and cleaning cloth.
3) The mobile connector I had to install myself until I asked them to do it for me.
4) The car crashed twice during the setup.
5) The car didn't have the latest software on it.
6) The car wasn't fully charged.
7) They weren't aware of the full spec.
8) Not had the correct invoice.

These are all really minor issues and very easy to resolve. It doesn't really affect the product but spoils the experience.

Bizarrely all the staff kept saying congratulations as though I had won the lottery.

To be honest the entire process wasn't great compared to some other brands I've bought from. Here's just some issues today.

2) The car was missing the manual, goodie bag, agreed cables and cleaning cloth.
3) The mobile connector I had to install myself until I asked them to do it for me.

These are all really minor issues and very easy to resolve. It doesn't really affect the product but spoils the experience.

Bizarrely all the staff kept saying congratulations as though I had won the lottery.

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately your experience seems to be an all too common one. It really should be so much better, and it's not as if you've collected at a manic quarter/year end point.

I fear I'm going to be a PITA come handover. A checklist of points I'll be going over will be with them some days prior to handover. ;)

Hopefully you can get on and enjoy the car now:)

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately your experience seems to be an all too common one. It really should be so much better, and it's not as if you've collected at a manic quarter/year end point.

I fear I'm going to be a PITA come handover. A checklist of points I'll be going over will be with them some days prior to handover. ;)

Hopefully you can get on and enjoy the car now:)

There was one guy in the dealership who was really good. Which one are you picking up from?

That's really sad, especially for such an expensive car - you'd expect it to be perfect. Why couldn't they charge it and install the software at least?

Did you get the bag and the cables?

That's really sad, especially for such an expensive car - you'd expect it to be perfect. Why couldn't they charge it and install the software at least?

Did you get the bag and the cables?

I did although had to keep chasing them. I've got some follow up questions I've emailed them so let's see how long it takes to come back to me on these.

Do you know if it's possible to get a type two adaptor for the mobile cable set?

Sadly not. I didn't know this when I got the car, I asked them what I needed and it wasn't mentioned. Its the one cable I could have done with, albeit only once, and its been on my mind to get one. But for the fact that I couldn't find a way to order online (UK site) I would have done that already ...

Is it worth getting the Chademo adaptor?

Not sure. I have one, on the grounds that that would be the fastest place to recharge if I needed to, but so far I haven't used it. Given that CHAdeMO is, at best, half the speed of Supercharger I've taken the view its worth driving 15 minutes out of my way instead (provided that doesn't impact range) and so each time I have to divert to charge I convince myself its for that reason!

My reason for reticence is that if I stop at a CHAdeMO there is likely to only be one or two stalls, repair if needed is often tardy, and if either are in use they are likely to be blocked for a long time. 2-stall Superchargers do exist, but in the main there are more stalls and if they were to be full chances are that one will come free quickly.

But for the fact that I couldn't find a way to order online (UK site) I would have done that already

I believe the Tesla type 2 cable is actually reasonably priced (around £140, I think), but there are lots of other options online for around the same price. I don't have one, as I didn't think I'd have a use for it, but a conversation with another owner whilst charging the other day is making me rethink that.

Not sure. I have one, on the grounds that that would be the fastest place to recharge if I needed to, but so far I haven't used it

I used my CHAdeMO adaptor 'for real' (as opposed to just trying it out) last week at an EH pump on the M4, because 2 of the stalls at the Reading SpC were down and I didn't want to queue. I bought it because I have family in both Cornwall and the Lakes, and I expect I might need it the next time I visit.

Xenetco I ordered my chademo adapter this week for my x which is due end of march. I thought I would sort it now rather than at the time of collection. I think right now it's essential for the uk whilst we have so few super chargers. When tesla have as many sites as ecotricity then it may not be as needed but until then it's useful. It will be interesting to know how much a charge will cost from tesla at the supercharger compared to the £6 ecotricity charge for a half hour charge once the new cars bought after 15th Jan have to start paying???

When tesla have as many sites as ecotricity

I take a slightly different view - Tesla sites can be far fewer, provided they provide good coverage across the country. What is needed is plenty of Stalls :) - Ecotricity have too few stalls (reasonable, considering current demand, but I'm not sure how easily they will be able to scale-up on most of the sites they are on), so I have stall-anxiety : that I would turn up, find the only two stalls are in use, and cars are going to be there for at least half an hour (Eco-tricity charge is for 30 minutes, so no point leaving any sooner ...)

Wannabe I do agree with you and I am not a fan of the Ecotricity but at the moment they have all the placements covering all the service stations on the motorways so I cant see me avoiding using them at some time or another especially as I ordered a 60D. Tesla still poorly serve many areas in the UK. Nothing along the south coast. Very poor in the south west, poor in wales the list goes on. They really do need to pull out all the stops to increase the coverage in the UK. They also need to increase the number of stall as some of the existing sites are getting overloaded. The good news is we can expect information in 2017 which will keep the car advised of the number of cars charging so you will know how free a supercharger is. However its not going to tell you how many are waiting which could be critical. Lets just hope the progress they make in 2017 will be better than 2016 as with model 3 coming it will only get worse, long lines waiting for supercharger will not encourage the public to purchase electric cars.

Wannabe I do agree with you and I am not a fan of the Ecotricity but at the moment they have all the placements covering all the service stations on the motorways so I cant see me avoiding using them at some time or another especially as I ordered a 60D. Tesla still poorly serve many areas in the UK. Nothing along the south coast. Very poor in the south west, poor in wales the list goes on. They really do need to pull out all the stops to increase the coverage in the UK. They also need to increase the number of stall as some of the existing sites are getting overloaded. The good news is we can expect information in 2017 which will keep the car advised of the number of cars charging so you will know how free a supercharger is. However its not going to tell you how many are waiting which could be critical. Lets just hope the progress they make in 2017 will be better than 2016 as with model 3 coming it will only get worse, long lines waiting for supercharger will not encourage the public to purchase electric cars.

Elon made the same promise about knowing about waiting cars last year, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that. By the same token we won't see any Model 3's here for a long time, but your central point is sound, more sites are needed and with more stalls.

With the range of "even" a 60, worst case scenario being range of say 150 miles, Tesla don't need to replicate the Ecotricity network. I'm still buying a Chademo tho' :)