Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector button does not open charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to wake the car from "sleep mode" before it will recognize your phone and unlock.

You can do this via the app by activating the climate pre-conditioning, or you can touch one of the door handles.

You can also tap the charge port door - not sure if that wakes the car.

Reactions: theothertom
I do not think that sleep is the issue. Here's one scenario:
(1) car is plugged in overnight
(2) I press the button (multiple times sometimes to wake up) and take the charger out - works
(3) I close the port by hand and then use the charger button to open - does not work

If I continue to fiddle with it, e.g. disconnect the mobile charger from the outlet and plug back in, it stats working. The button is working but there's something with the charger-car interface.

Thanks for everybody’s comments. Good facts and ideas.
I have had similar problems both at home charger and super charger.
Neither of the soft touch screen buttons on the vehicle graphic or on the Charging Screen “Open Charge Port” work.
This is a sporadic not constant problem. I am working on my third service session with the service center.

I get inconsistent and somewhat contradictory advice.

The National Charging Support line gave me a new work around on Saturday.

“Use a credit card to slowly lift the charge point door open.” Yikes

I have also been told physically opening and closing the door can damage it.

I have another service visit on Monday.

if you have any experience with this please share.
I will update this post as I get to the next stage.

Mike B

I've noticed that my charge port door has become 'stuck' several times in recent weeks or months. I don't think it is actually stuck.

I go to the car, open a door, wait for it to completely wake up plus some seconds, then press the charging handle button with the handle quite close to the charge door. The door fails to open, but makes a sound as if its either unlatching a handle it thinks is in the port, or trying to open the door.

I then open the app and try to open the charge port door... it tells me the action failed.

I then hop into the drivers seat and press the open the charge port door... it fails as well.

Finally, I give a light rap on the charge port door with my hand and it opens right up.

M3 LR 2020 delivered end of Sep. I am pretty sure that the mobile connector button used to/is supposed to open the charge port door? It doesn't now. It does release the charger though. Am I missing something?
I'll bet you are holding the connector close to the charge port door when you push the button. Try pointing the connector at the back window when you push the button.

On my S, the antenna is in the back window, so when someone told me that, I started pointing at the window and it never fails to open. I assume that the antenna for Model 3 is also in the back window.

The Model 3 has some sort of postage stamp-sized magnet widget on the underside of the charge port door. That magnet is not securely glued and falls off of some vehicles. If your magnetic widget is missing you will experience the behavior described. (The image here shows the widget missing.)

42CE59BE-917A-4CD9-861F-726E59DB3E14.jpeg

I have been having this problem (mobile charger button not opening charge port) with my M3 lately. I have also noticed (but possibly imagined) that the locking behaviour of the connector has changed as well. I can hear it locking and unlocking at different times whereas I think I remember that it simply stayed locked until explicitly unlocked before.

Mobile technician was here and witnessed the issue. It has nothing to do with the car being asleep. While the car is wide awake:

(1) my mobile charger button would not open the charge port door - most days, but sometimes it would just work...
(2) my mobile charger button unlocks/releases the plugged-in cable from the port - always
(3) my mobile charger button opened the technician's car's port - always

The tech was not sure what to do, so he asked for some remote diagnostic help (?) and scheduled another visit here... Not a big deal for me, honestly, but this thing should work...