Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Cable Organizer Wall Mounting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla is still on the way and I'm attempting to get my garage ready. I have my electrician coming in a few days to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I bought a cable organizer wall mount for my mobile connector in order to keep things clean.

The question is: how far should the NEMA outlet be placed below the cable organizer? Below is a picture of the wall (red) on which I've already installed the cable organizer and marked with a little square of green tape below it where I'm guessing the outlet should go, but I'm not sure.

Also below is a stock photo I got from the cable organizer's webpage. I'd like the main body of the mobile connector (circled in yellow) to remain taught and vertical like in this stock photo. How long does that main body piece actually measure and, in turn, how far below my cable organizer should the wall outlet go?

IMG_5039.jpg
Capture.PNG

Either put it on the left side of your garage or move it to the front of the garage and back your car in. You will eventually not organize your cable when each time you’ve got to go to the other side of your car.

I ended up moving mine to a proper place.

you can also ceiling mount as well and place the mobile connector on a shelf above the car too.

It should not be hard to estimate the dimensions based on the photo that you provided. The "box" part of the cable is about 1 foot, and the wires are less than or equal to that size (from the photo). So that leaves 2 feet or less, estimating.

As mikeskuro states, you have placed the unit in the "wrong" place, as the power input is on the driver side of the Model 3. If you cannot move to the other wall, then you should place it near the back wall and back in.

Another option is placing it on the back wall in the center (of a 2 car garage), however you risk running over the cable unless you mount it on something.

It should not be hard to estimate the dimensions based on the photo that you provided. The "box" part of the cable is about 1 foot, and the wires are less than or equal to that size (from the photo). So that leaves 2 feet or less, estimating.

As mikeskuro states, you have placed the unit in the "wrong" place, as the power input is on the driver side of the Model 3. If you cannot move to the other wall, then you should place it near the back wall and back in.

Another option is placing it on the back wall in the center (of a 2 car garage), however you risk running over the cable unless you mount it on something.

Thanks to both you and mikeskuro for your advice. I think that settles things on the distance of the plug. On the separate issue you've both raised regarding this being the wrong side of my garage, I did realize that but unfortunately I don't have much choice. It's a two-car garage but the left side is deeper than the right side (from the perspective of standing in the driveway). Our other car is an SUV so it has to go on the left as there isn't enough depth for it on the right. I realize this means I'll be going to the far side of the car and bringing the charger around the rear of the car to plug it in, but I figure this is still a lesser evil than some of the other suggestions. For instance, better to have 4-5 ft. of cord wrapping around the back of the car than 10 ft. of cord coming from the opposite wall or 15 ft. of cord coming from the back wall, and I certainly don't want to have to back in every time. Am I missing something or is this just a matter of preference?

For instance, better to have 4-5 ft. of cord wrapping around the back of the car than 10 ft. of cord coming from the opposite wall or 15 ft. of cord coming from the back wall, and I certainly don't want to have to back in every time. Am I missing something or is this just a matter of preference?

I don't know about the 15 ft. of cord through the center being a problem. It is not the end of the world if you run over it, and it shouldn't be too hard to come up with was to protect it and keep the handle off the floor.

Other than that, I wouldn't want to get too creative with suggestions, but I certainly would if it were my place.

A couple half cinder-blocks could keep the cable in its place as it splits the middle of the garage. Not sure about what to rest the plug on, but seems worth the effort to figure something out. Once the novelty of your new car wears off a bit, you won't be happy coiling the cable.

half cinder block.jpeg

Last edited:
For instance, better to have 4-5 ft. of cord wrapping around the back of the car than 10 ft. of cord coming from the opposite wall or 15 ft. of cord coming from the back wall, and I certainly don't want to have to back in every time. Am I missing something or is this just a matter of preference?
Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal. The cord will just run along the floor behind the back of your car and then plug in the port on the left side. With these kinds of placements, the mobile charge cord has a decent enough length that if you get at least one dimension matched, it works. So if you have it on the correct side or the correct end of the car, there should be slack to work. But if you have it diagonally opposite, like wrong end and wrong side, that's difficult to reach.

But if you're stuck with the placement diagonally opposite, then you just need to put your car in the other direction.

If you are going to copy the bottom picture make sure you install your outlet upside down so the plug/cord goes the right way.

However, I would strongly urge against installing that way and using the plug as a cord wrap point as it appears they are doing. If you wrap it too tight you risk pulling the plug partially out and arcing. Also if it gets stuck when unwinding to use you can pull it out then you are constantly plugging it back in just to get it to charge and also have the potential for arcing. You also lose some of the cord length this way.

I’d suggest installing the plug next to the mount at the same height. That way the connector hangs naturally and will be part of the first downward loop when you wrap the cord when not in use. Also gives you some extra reach.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H