Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector charge rate drop.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 manufactured June 2020. Since then i have mostly charged from home using mobile the connector (except for long distance travel. ) For all of this time until recently the screen has shown a charge rate of 5-6 miles charge per hour with 12/12 amps. Recently the charge rate has gone down to 3 miles per hour consistently. What could be the problem?

What could be the problem?
Either it being colder right now and some of the power being used to heat the battery,
Probably that. When it's using some of the incoming power to drive heating to warm up the battery, it will show a noticeably much slower charging rate. Sometimes, the rate will be 0 for a while if it's having to send all the energy to heating for a while to get the battery warm enough to charge at all.

Is the charging miles per hour rate calculated based on vehicle usage history?
No it isn't. It's based on a fixed efficiency constant of energy to the fabled "rated miles" just to convert to a unit that has a little more intuitive recognition than kWh.

But 120V12A for the Model 3 shouldn't be 5 to 6 MPH anyway. That should be 3 to 4 MPH.
Ha! No. My old inefficient pig of a 2014 Model S gets 3 mph from that. The Model 3 has vastly better efficiency and always gets at least 5 mph once it's not diverting energy to heating. The charts on Tesla's website are blatantly wrong, where they copied over that "3" to every model of car they made after that for the last decade, regardless of the cars getting more and more efficient.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Model 3 manufactured June 2020. Since then i have mostly charged from home using mobile the connector (except for long distance travel. ) For all of this time until recently the screen has shown a charge rate of 5-6 miles charge per hour with 12/12 amps. Recently the charge rate has gone down to 3 miles per hour consistently. What could be the problem?
thank you. That makes sense and is good to hear.