Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

I will be ordering a MY in the coming weeks and am beginning the process of preparing the garage for charging. I intend to have a 14-50 outlet installed and will use the mobile charger that comes with the car. I will be buying the Tesla cable organizer and am wondering if anyone knows the dimensions to install as Tesla shows below? I anticipate having the outlet installed ahead of delivery and will ask the electrician to install the cable organizer at that time. The concern is mounting the charger holder (“chassis holder”) either too high or too low.

upload_2020-8-25_6-28-14.jpeg

I wouldn't try to predict that ahead of time then, because you stand a greater than 50% chance of it not being right. Let the electrician put in the outlet, and get your car, and then when you plug in the connector, you can see and measure exactly where it sits and mark where to mount that holder bracket. It's just a couple of screws, so it's just a simple few minute job to drill a couple of holes and screw it in.

It really is as simple as drilling a few holes, inserting drywall anchors and then screwing in the mounting hardware. Unfortunately, that may be beyond the capabilities of some people(not making a dig, but I know homeowners who don't own a power drill). The distance from the top of the plug on the 14-50 adapter, to the bottom of the mobile connector is roughly 15 inches.

And don't forget to buy the 14-50 adapter.

Yep, bought the adapter.

Not a dig; I will be the first to admit I am not at all “handy.” If someone knows what they are doing, I would rather they deal with it.

I recognize this may not be the place 14-50 receptacle subject matter experts frequent but I bought a Hubbell - are those any good? The electricians I have had out to provide install quotes look at me like I am crazy (that may be true). Just curious if others have heard of/used Hubbell.

I recognize this may not be the place 14-50 receptacle subject matter experts frequent but I bought a Hubbell - are those any good? The electricians I have had out to provide install quotes look at me like I am crazy (that may be true). Just curious if others have heard of/used Hubbell.
That was a brilliant decision! Hubbel is the [prestigious example] of electrical outlets! The most common, cheapest, and crappiest brand is Leviton, and they are known to have problems. Hubbel, Bryant, and Cooper ones are much better. Here is a thread all about it with pictures showing the differences of how their terminals and prongs are made differently that makes them better or worse.

Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

I need to mount the mobile connector outdoors. I’m thinking of getting a large shackle padlock and secure the cable to a 3/4 inch pipe. I know the charging unit or brick will be secured. My question is what is the diameter of the charging handle? I want to make sure the handle can’t go through the lock.

I need to mount the mobile connector outdoors. I’m thinking of getting a large shackle padlock and secure the cable to a 3/4 inch pipe. I know the charging unit or brick will be secured. My question is what is the diameter of the charging handle? I want to make sure the handle can’t go through the lock.
Why do you feel the need to lock the Tesla charging connector/cable?

The end of the Tesla charging connector should be protected from the elements when not in use. There are many choices, including 3-D printed Tesla charging connector holders. A Cable Organizer will include a holder for the Tesla charging connector and a cable hanger for the charging cord.

Why do you feel the need to lock the Tesla charging connector/cable?

The end of the Tesla charging connector should be protected from the elements when not in use. There are many choices, including 3-D printed Tesla charging connector holders. A Cable Organizer will include a holder for the Tesla charging connector and a cable hanger for the charging cord.
I don’t have a garage. There is nothing preventing someone from unplugging the charger from the 14-15 plug when I’m not here.

I don’t have a garage. There is nothing preventing someone from unplugging the charger from the 14-15 plug when I’m not here.
If you are worried about copper theft, the thieves could just cut the charging cable. (The only way to prevent this type of theft would be to mount the equipment, cable inside an electrical equipment box (these tend to be large and ugly.)

I would suggest to anyone installing an outdoor charging setup to skip the NEMA 14-50 or similar receptacle, even if the receptacle housing has a weather cover. A hard wired installation of the Wall Connector or any 3rd party EVSE is far more water resistant than one with a plug.

The Tesla Wall Connector is rated for use outdoors in all weather conditions. The Tesla Wall Connector is installed with tamper resistance Torx security screws that make it more difficult to to remove. The charging cable is 24 feet in length, instead of 18 feet for the Mobile Connector. For the same 50 amp charging circuit the Wall Connector enables charging at 40 amps (25% more and faster) than the the 32 amps when using the Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you are worried about copper theft, the thieves could just cut the charging cable. (The only way to prevent this type of theft would be to mount the equipment, cable inside an electrical equipment box (these tend to be large and ugly.)

I would suggest to anyone installing an outdoor charging setup to skip the NEMA 14-50 or similar receptacle, even if the receptacle housing has a weather cover. A hard wired installation of the Wall Connector or any 3rd party EVSE is far more water resistant than one with a plug.

The Tesla Wall Connector is rated for use outdoors in all weather conditions. The Tesla Wall Connector is installed with tamper resistance Torx security screws that make it more difficult to to remove. The charging cable is 24 feet in length, instead of 18 feet for the Mobile Connector. For the same 50 amp charging circuit the Wall Connector enables charging at 40 amps (25% more and faster) than the the 32 amps when using the Mobile Connector.
I am getting a wall connector for my primary residence. I‘m using the mobile connector for our snowbird place in Florida. Someone stealing the charger to sell it will not cut the cord and risk getting an electric shock. But you are right, there is no way to stop anyone from vandalism. I know that while charging the handle is locked to the charge port. I was looking for a way to deter the person that spots the charger hanging from the outlet while no one is home.

I am getting a wall connector for my primary residence. I‘m using the mobile connector for our snowbird place in Florida. Someone stealing the charger to sell it will not cut the cord and risk getting an electric shock. But you are right, there is no way to stop anyone from vandalism. I know that while charging the handle is locked to the charge port. I was looking for a way to deter the person that spots the charger hanging from the outlet while no one is home.
Copper thieves are not the brightest bunch. Plenty of cases of copper thieves being electrocuted while attempting to steal wiring (even high voltage installation wiring.) If the Tesla vehicle is not actively charging then no current is flowing through the cable.

Copper thieves are not the brightest bunch. Plenty of cases of copper thieves being electrocuted while attempting to steal wiring (even high voltage installation wiring.) If the Tesla vehicle is not actively charging then no current is flowing through the cable.
That’s good to know. Thank you. I’m not looking for the 100% solution. Just one that will deter thieves no willing to spend too much effort. It would take about 20 seconds to walk up from the street and pull the charger out if I do nothing. Locking the cable to the pipe would stop must people as long as the handle end can’t get through the shackle. Which is why I posted my original question, whats the diameter of the charger?

Reactions: Rocky_H