Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector flashes 2x - “ground loss”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And

This.
Especially since subpanel has concentric rings left in the knock out so there are only 2 little connection points:
View attachment 911906

We can't see what going on with the meter side of things, but it looks like to only potential ground path is the threads of the 4 screws:
View attachment 911907

Yes, that is the single bonding point.

Thanks for clarifying. So sounds like the recommendation from this group is to run an insulated wire from the ground bus in the subpanel to the main/meter neutral junction?

And

This.
Especially since subpanel has concentric rings left in the knock out so there are only 2 little connection points:
View attachment 911906

We can't see what going on with the meter side of things, but it looks like to only potential ground path is the threads of the 4 screws:
View attachment 911907

Yes, that is the single bonding point.

That should be plenty. To make a good ground. NEC DOES require bonding bushing on concentric knockout though, if that pipe is metallic and is being used as the equipment ground.

That should be plenty. To make a good ground. NEC DOES require bonding bushing on concentric knockout though
Only on the utility side of the service disconnect, or if the voltage to ground exceeds 250V.

Taking a multimeter ohm reading between N and G at the 14-50 is a good way to start; if that's too high, then you can try chasing it upstream to see where the problem is.

But if the multimeter shows low milliohms, I'm unclear if that means the N-G bond is good, or if it can be a high impedance meter effect. Presumably the latter, since the EVSE is doing a low impedance N-G check, in effect, and it failed. Unless there's a problem with the EVSE.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: qdeathstar
Only on the utility side of the service disconnect, or if the voltage to ground exceeds 250V.

Taking a multimeter ohm reading between N and G at the 14-50 is a good way to start; if that's too high, then you can try chasing it upstream to see where the problem is.

But if the multimeter shows low milliohms, I'm unclear if that means the N-G bond is good, or if it can be a high impedance meter effect. Presumably the latter, since the EVSE is doing a low impedance N-G check, in effect, and it failed. Unless there's a problem with the EVSE.

Cheers, Wayne
Is there a 4 AWG size criteria also regarding bonding?

Also, does meter reading need to be done with power shut off? Seems like leakage currents could mess it up.

Is there a 4 AWG size criteria also regarding bonding?
There are some rules on GECs run exposed that require more protection in sizes smaller than #4 AWG, but that wouldn't apply to EGCs (normal grounds).

Also, does meter reading need to be done with power shut off? Seems like leakage currents could mess it up.
This I don't know, but certainly doing it with the power shut off should give you a correct result.

Cheers, Wayne

just tested it. it has a continuous beep and fluctuates between 0 to 0.4 ohm, but eventually dips close to 0 ohm. is that right?

@wwhitney "Unless there's a problem with the EVSE." - i'm using the MC with the 5-15 to my car now and it's working fine. Can I rule out that the problem is with the MC? or could the MC be defective with higher 240V?

The adapter could be defective.

I think your ground is good.

actually someone down the street has a 14-50 outlet and i just tested it and the MC is working fine. So the problem is not w/ the MC or the adapter. It's with the outlet.

Given that, is the recommendation from this group still to run an insulated wire from the ground bus in the subpanel to the main/meter neutral junction?

actually someone down the street has a 14-50 outlet and i just tested it and the MC is working fine. So the problem is not w/ the MC or the adapter. It's with the outlet.

Given that, is the recommendation from this group still to run an insulated wire from the ground bus in the subpanel to the main/meter neutral junction?
Yea, it’s possible that the conduit isn’t continuous. You need to run #6. I would just run it temporary as suggested above. If it works you probably need to figure out what is going on with the conduit, eg, why isn’t it providing a good grounding path, because their may be other serious issues.

Reactions: wwhitney
@OxBrew @qdeathstar so i connected the subpanel ground bar using some left over 6awg wires to reach the ground wire connected to the water pipe to the water heater. it was kind of hard to reach so i just "hooked" on to it but it didn't work. same "ground loss" error on the MC. (see pics)

Is the water pipe a good temporary place to test? should I have made the connection more secure?

Attachments

• B12BF0A3-F661-487F-81CA-E21C0B57E5F3.jpeg
    B12BF0A3-F661-487F-81CA-E21C0B57E5F3.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 3FCB0C1E-D93B-405F-932B-9720B908D450.jpeg
    3FCB0C1E-D93B-405F-932B-9720B908D450.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 28
  • 55A9BBEF-437D-4946-A455-D8D7B4FD2077.jpeg
    55A9BBEF-437D-4946-A455-D8D7B4FD2077.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 30