Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector (Gen 2) 5 flashing lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got my Model 3 and am having issues getting the mobile connector (120v adapter) to properly work at home. A majority of the time, when I plug it in I get solid green lights and 5 red flashes from the "T". This is before I plug into the vehicle. When I plug in I get streaming green lights and the same 5 flashes in red. I am able to get 8A charging but even then it sometimes resets the connector.

I've checked the adapter to be sure it's properly seated, as well as different outlets in the garage with the same issue. Intermittently later in the evening I've been able to briefly get the full 12A charging on two occassions when testing it out at night.

Am I missing something? I've purchased a cheap wall mount to support the charger against the wall and take pressure off the plug and hopefully help.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I recently got my Model 3 and am having issues getting the mobile connector (120v adapter) to properly work at home. A majority of the time, when I plug it in I get solid green lights and 5 red flashes from the "T". This is before I plug into the vehicle. When I plug in I get streaming green lights and the same 5 flashes in red. I am able to get 8A charging but even then it sometimes resets the connector.

I've checked the adapter to be sure it's properly seated, as well as different outlets in the garage with the same issue. Intermittently later in the evening I've been able to briefly get the full 12A charging on two occassions when testing it out at night.

Am I missing something? I've purchased a cheap wall mount to support the charger against the wall and take pressure off the plug and hopefully help.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Is this a dedicated circuit in the garage? Based on what you said, I am guessing "no". The statement "later in the evening I can sometimes get the full 12a briefly" and "I am able to get 8a charging but even then sometimes it resets", sounds to me that this is like a standard garage outlet that is on a shared circuit with other outlets (perhaps inside the house).

Find the breaker that controls the outlet you are plugging into. Turn it off, then go and see what outlets in your home are off. Get a cheap plug in circuit tester like this:

I am betting you will find a number of outlets on that circuit, including some things that perhaps get used in the afternoon but maybe not in the evening ( the "I can get 12a briefly in the evening sometimes)").

You want to start with finding a dedicated 15amp outlet, since it sounds like the ones you are using not only arent dedicated, but are in use elsewhere in the home with things on the circuit.

Reactions: Kimmi
Upvote 0