Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Gen 2 - solid red light after charging for several minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently purchased a 2018 Model 3 Mid Range used from Shift. The car did not come with the stock Tesla charger but some generic brand only capable of 16amp charging. I placed an order for a Gen 2 Mobile Connector and the NEMA 14-50 adapter as I have an outlet in the garage.

We have a Volt that has been using the outlet with no problems and while waiting for the Tesla cord, we have been sharing the plug without issue and have used a Supercharger to supplement.

The cord arrived and we plugged in the Tesla, everything was good and it was charging at 32 amps. Within a few minutes we had an error and the charger was solid red. We unplugged and plugged it in again, started charging only to stop again in a few minutes.

Thinking it could be the splitter I had set up, we removed that and again the charger stopped after a few minutes. We removed the NEMA 14-50 adapter and went back to standard plug… again, same issue.

At this point I think it must be the mobile adapter but was told it may be an issue with my electrical panel. Anyone have any insight? Tips? Etc?

We recently purchased a 2018 Model 3 Mid Range used from Shift. The car did not come with the stock Tesla charger but some generic brand only capable of 16amp charging. I placed an order for a Gen 2 Mobile Connector and the NEMA 14-50 adapter as I have an outlet in the garage.

We have a Volt that has been using the outlet with no problems and while waiting for the Tesla cord, we have been sharing the plug without issue and have used a Supercharger to supplement.

The cord arrived and we plugged in the Tesla, everything was good and it was charging at 32 amps. Within a few minutes we had an error and the charger was solid red. We unplugged and plugged it in again, started charging only to stop again in a few minutes.

Thinking it could be the splitter I had set up, we removed that and again the charger stopped after a few minutes. We removed the NEMA 14-50 adapter and went back to standard plug… again, same issue.

At this point I think it must be the mobile adapter but was told it may be an issue with my electrical panel. Anyone have any insight? Tips? Etc?
Make sure your NEMA 14-50 circuit is wired dedicated to a 50 amp breaker in your panel. Do not split that dedicated line. Also, the wire gauge has to be 6 AWG; red HOT, black HOT, white N and green GND. It should showing an output of 240VAC and charge up to a rate of 32 amp in the model 3. I have a 2020 model so double check your specs for your vehicle. Also check what your maximum amp charging rate in your mid range model. Additionally, there maybe be an issue with the mobile charger. The OEM for your year vehicle should work or charger from a older model S with the charging amperage capping off at your maximum amperage of your mid range.
Best advice, consult with an certified electrician on your setup to verify everything.

Reactions: el-guapin
Make sure your NEMA 14-50 circuit is wired dedicated to a 50 amp breaker in your panel. Do not split that dedicated line. Also, the wire gauge has to be 6 AWG; red HOT, black HOT, white N and green GND. It should showing an output of 240VAC and charge up to a rate of 32 amp in the model 3. I have a 2020 model so double check your specs for your vehicle. Also check what your maximum amp charging rate in your mid range model. Additionally, there maybe be an issue with the mobile charger. The OEM for your year vehicle should work or charger from a older model S with the charging amperage capping off at your maximum amperage of your mid range.
Best advice, consult with an certified electrician on your setup to verify everything.
It is a dedicated 50amp breaker in the panel I don’t know the gauge wire. Before it stops charging, it does show 32 amps which is the max for our model

We bought the car used and it did not come with a stock charger, which is why we purchased one. The gen 2 is listed as standard with any Tesla 2018 or newer.

We tried to return/exchange the connector but Tesla will not let allow the return without a service appointment. So far none of the available appointments work so we have to keep rechecking.

UPDATE: The mobile connector worked last night without issue. Husband came home today and plugged the car in, got the previous errors. Realized the issue only appears to happen when the pool equipment is running.

Reached out to a few electricians and the consensus seems to be we need a new sub panel. Our current appears to be original to the house which was built in 1978….

In the mean time we will just change the run time of the pool filters so it doesn’t overlap with charging time.

Well, the OP had issues with both a 14-50 outlet and a “standard plug” (presumably a 5-15). The 14-50 is likely a dedicated circuit ( once they removed the splitter they had installed, presumably to allow charging of both the Volt and the Tesla), and the 5-15 is likely shared with other circuits but not the 14-50. So whatever issue there was with the pool pump, it was affecting the Mobile Connector on a separate circuit.

Well, the OP had issues with both a 14-50 outlet and a “standard plug” (presumably a 5-15). The 14-50 is likely a dedicated circuit ( once they removed the splitter they had installed, presumably to allow charging of both the Volt and the Tesla), and the 5-15 is likely shared with other circuits but not the 14-50. So whatever issue there was with the pool pump, it was affecting the Mobile Connector on a separate circuit.

I’m not getting notifications when there are new responses for some reason so that is why it keeps taking me so long to reply. Sorry!

The pool pump runs off the same panel, but are different breakers on the panel. The one for the 14-50 plug is a dedicated 50amp breaker.

The mobile connector went from only giving me issues when the pool equipment was running to now pretty much always giving me issues. It will charge for a few minutes, then kick off. No green lights, 3 blinking red which appears to be a “ Relay/contactor fault”. If I plug and unplug, 90% of the time it will immediately click off. If I just leave it, it will kick on and off several times.

The car charges fine using other chargers on the same outlet and at super chargers so the issue would appear to be the mobile connector. I have to wait until Sept 17th for a service appointment.

The car charges fine using other chargers on the same outlet and at super chargers so the issue would appear to be the mobile connector. I have to wait until Sept 17th for a service appointment.

Just as a FYI, "it charges at superchargers" isnt relevant in this case, because superchargers bypass the charger in the car. "it charges using other chargers on the same outlet" is relevant, but may be more or less relevant depending on what speed / amps those chargers charge at.

If your other chargers only charge at 16amps, for example, you could try also setting the tesla to charge at 16 amps and see if it works then.