Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector GFCI Tripped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went through this same issue after 4 years of owning my Model 3. Constant "GFCI trips" that were only guaranteed to go away if I lowered my charge amperage to 16 amps.

I ended up buying a Juice Booster 2 to alleviate my issue. Interestingly enough, its manual gave specific instruction to not leave the cables coiled when charging. It makes me think that maybe the inductive principle might be causing some of the GFCI trips, especially as the charger ages, and because the cable is naturally trained in a coil shape. Anyway, I'm speculating, but I might end up testing my old charger with straightened cables and report back.
Yea! Please test it out and report back. Thank you.

Yea! Please test it out and report back. Thank you.
Well, no luck. Straightening the cable had no effect. GFCI error in less than 10 minutes at 32amps.

This is generally a sign of an electrical issue. Lowering the charge rate just masks the problem. I hope the Juice Booster resolves your issue. If not, you need to check all connections, also consider that GFCI breakers can wear out. If you still have a problem you should replace the wire.

I've successfully been able to charge my car using the new Juice Booster 2 charger. It's a bit unwieldy, but I can confidently say it's built to last haha. Juice even offers a repair option for out of warranty service. That was the most appealing thing to me. I really hate having to throw electronics away because of SMT failure type of stuff.

Also, another little perk, it can do 40amps at 220v AND has swappable connectors. I'm not sure that's worth the 350% price increase over the Tesla UMC, but it's unique.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I've successfully been able to charge my car using the new Juice Booster 2 charger. It's a bit unwieldy, but I can confidently say it's built to last haha. Juice even offers a repair option for out of warranty service. That was the most appealing thing to me. I really hate having to throw electronics away because of SMT failure type of stuff.
But how much did that cost, I didn't even find it available in the US? How much do the repairs cost?

I get the not wanting to through things away, but the Tesla mobile connector at $200 is a great bargain, and likely cheaper than the repair option for anything else. (And I am sure someone collects bad ones up to either repair or harvest good things, like the cable/Tesla connector, from for re-use.)

Also, another little perk, it can do 40amps at 220v AND has swappable connectors. I'm not sure that's worth the 350% price increase over the Tesla UMC, but it's unique.
The Tesla mobile connector has swappable connectors too... So $700, you could buy 3 Tesla MCs and a few adapters for that price... (When they are in stock, which it is back in stock today.)

Good news on the $200 mobile charger! Bad news, now out of stock.

I don't know how old this charger is; could be 8 years but I've only owned the car for 2. The mobile charger wasn't used by the previous owner, who kept his wall charger.

Good news on the $200 mobile charger! Bad news, now out of stock.

I don't know how old this charger is; could be 8 years but I've only owned the car for 2. The mobile charger wasn't used by the previous owner, who kept his wall charger.
Just keep checking. They go in and out of stock. You can also call or drop in at the local service center. They will sometimes have some in stock.

But how much did that cost, I didn't even find it available in the US? How much do the repairs cost?

I get the not wanting to through things away, but the Tesla mobile connector at $200 is a great bargain, and likely cheaper than the repair option for anything else. (And I am sure someone collects bad ones up to either repair or harvest good things, like the cable/Tesla connector, from for re-use.)

The Tesla mobile connector has swappable connectors too... So $700, you could buy 3 Tesla MCs and a few adapters for that price... (When they are in stock, which it is back in stock today.)
They sell them on Amazon. I'm not sure how much a repair would cost, I guess I'll find out eventually though.

I wanted to avoid buying the same charger that seems to be giving other people the same problems I guess. I just don't want to repeatedly buy it.

The swappable connectors limits it's charge rate to 32 amps. I'm pretty sure the fixed wire UMC can do 40 amps though!

I wish I could install a permanently wired wall charger. It's provided through my work though, so I can't really be too picky.

Just FYI, code requires the outlet you are plugging into has GFCI breaker.
The GFCI breaker may not be in that outlet, it just needs to be on the circuit. Unless it is on a dedicated circuit the GFCI breaker could be on another outlet on the same circuit as the outlet you plug into.

Unplug the wall plug from the mobile charger and the re-seat it firmly. If the mobile charger block is hanging off of the outlet it can loosen the connection between the wall adapter and the charger block. A block of wood or something to support the weight of the charger block can solve this.

My situation isnt tripping my breaker, it sounds like its tripping the GFCI in the Tesla wall charger? The weird thing is that the car is reaching my set charging limit, must be happening while shutting off the charger? Its happened a couple times this week? Does that mean my wall charger is going bad?

My situation isnt tripping my breaker, it sounds like its tripping the GFCI in the Tesla wall charger? The weird thing is that the car is reaching my set charging limit, must be happening while shutting off the charger? Its happened a couple times this week? Does that mean my wall charger is going bad?

A little more detail please. It sound like you are saying the car charges normally then when it reaches full charge something happens.

1. What exactly happens - do you hear a sound that is coming from the Wall Connector or is it coming from somewhere else such as in the front / middle / back of the car?
2. What light(s) does the Wall Connector display?
3. What error message(s) does the car display?

Reactions: Rocky_H