Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector length and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE

My 6-20 outlet is supposed to be installed on 6/2 and I’m waiting on the 6-20 adapter and cable organizer from Tesla.

From the looks of it here I should be ok even though Tesla’s mobile connector is 18ft. The cable doesn’t look as there is tension which is what I was concerned about.

The 6-20 can be located anywhere (height wise) and my master electrician said I just need to figure out where to place the outlet and then where to place the cable organizer.

Last edited:
You need to be extremely specific about where that 6-20 needs to go. If it is four feet off the floor that cable will most likely be in tension.

Side note... that's a mighty narrow door you have there.
Actually the door doesn’t look like that lol….I shot this using a wide angle on my iPhone 12 Pro. The 6-20 can be located anywhere (height wise) l my master electrician said I just need to figure out where to place the outlet and then where to place the cable organizer.

Last edited:
Actually the door doesn’t look like that lol….I shot this using a wide angle on my iPhone 12 Pro. The 6-20 can be located anywhere (height wise) l my master electrician said I just need to figure out where to place the outlet and then where to place the cable organizer.

I'm not really sure about 'anywhere'. I'd bet that an inspector would become concerned if it were less than a foot off the floor, maybe even more than that. You never know what some dumbass is gonna do in his/her garage and splattering water/soap/epoxy might make for a bad time.

I'm not really sure about 'anywhere'. I'd bet that an inspector would become concerned if it were less than a foot off the floor, maybe even more than that. You never know what some dumbass is gonna do in his/her garage and splattering water/soap/epoxy might make for a bad time.
In my case I have decided on placing it on this side. Or at the same height as the charge port and have hooks along the wall.
CCE1D419-0E7C-49C1-A23E-A5B341FA3E37.jpeg

Or at the same height as the charge port and have hooks along the wall.
That makes sense. Were it my decision, which it is not, I'd probably run conduit across the rafters over to the place I was gonna plug in. Having to potentially dig out my charge cord from behind all my rakes, shovels and axes whenever I went on a trip would be worth the ~$100 in conduit/wiring/labor.

That makes sense. Were it my decision, which it is not, I'd probably run conduit across the rafters over to the place I was gonna plug in. Having to potentially dig out my charge cord from behind all my rakes, shovels and axes whenever I went on a trip would be worth the ~$100 in conduit/wiring/labor.
Actually the mobile connector will technically never get unplugged. I will be using PlugShare locations and some locations might need a J1772, but others have Tesla wall connectors. I have Superchargers all around me too. So out of pure curiosity why would I need my mobile connector based on that info?

That’s my point. See I’m never going to unplug the mobile connector.
You've got it right. I see frequently these sayings of, "Gotta have it, because ya never know..." But you basically do know. Teleporting isn't a thing. You're not going to use up 2 or 3 hundred miles driving around town. And if you are going to go out of town, you're going to know you'll do that and have some basic plan or preparation to bring some stuff with you, so bring the cable if you think you may want it then. But really, that cable is only for plugging into outlets, and that would be some outlandish situation where you could go out of range of all forms of charging stations.

Is the mobile connector 18ft or 20ft long from end to end?
~18.5 ft. for just the charging cord. The total length (including the power plug adapter and the Mobile Connector chassis) is 20 ft.

Tesla's description of the Mobile Connector states that the Mobile Connector Main Unit comes with a 20ft charging cord. This is accurate if you count the length of the Mobile Connector chassis (7-3/16") and charging cord (18' 8") plus the length of the charging connector (8") but not the length of the plug adapter (8-1/8").

Last edited: