Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector malfunction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my car couple days ago, just today I saw my myp charging got interrupted so I checked the mobile connector. It seems like the my extension cord I used got burned while charging. My mobile connector now has red T and it doesn’t go green anymore.

It won’t charge, so the main question here is,
1.does my tesla battery got affected by this event ?
2. Does my gen 2 mobile connector have warranty? Can they replace it for free for me?

1) I would guess no as the battery management system (BMS) has multiple built in safeguards to protect the user and the high voltage battery
2) Yes

Please open a service request via the Tesla app. Mobile service can come out to check it out for you and replace the mobile connector plus check the BMS as well.

What type of extension cord were you using, i.e. 14 gauge, 12 gauge, other, length?

Did you purchase the extension cord specifically for charging the Tesla vehicle or was the extension cord something you already had at home, how old was the extension cord?

Can you tell, where is the damage, at the end connections or along the length of the extension cord?

Just trying to understand why the extension cord failed. People need to be careful when selecting and using an extension cord as Tesla does not recommend using any extension cord while charging the Tesla vehicle.

Agree with @jcanoe - it sounds like your extension cord overheated, likely causing a voltage drop to which the mobile connector correctly responded by shutting off. Hopefully you can just replace the plug adapter on the mobile connector. Since Tesla specifically says not to use extension cords, it may not be covered under warranty.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just a. Regular extension cord with 6 outlet from target. U can find that everywhere. I’m surprised th at happened to me. Is everyone here charging directly from the wall cord ?
You are lucky you did not start a fire. When you use an extension cord, something that is specifically not recommended in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, you really need to study the issue and select an appropriate contractor grade (12 gauge recommended but certainly not less than 14 gauge (smaller wire) minimum extension cord, i.e. not one from Target.

The extension cord needs to be a quality extension cord else buy some 12/3 outdoor rated wire and connectors and assemble your own extension cord. Keep the extension cord as short as possible. Frequently inspect the extension cord for any damage or signs of overheating.

Last edited:
Your very smart car protected you from a catastrophe. Are you charging from a regular wall outlet? What does the car show as the max amps (I’m guessing 12 amps). You need to use a 12 gauge extension cord at the very least, ideally 10 gauge, and as short as possible.

But yes, most people plug the charger directly into the wall, and so should you. Really not trying to sound condescending, but you would benefit from familiarizing yourself with basic electricity, especially if you’re going to do something related to charging that the owner’s manual specifically says not to.