Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t need a Tesla. With the high gas prices ordered model 3 in early March. Small things bug me to the point of saying forget it. If the charger is not included my thought for now but it could change is to wait as long as possible like right before delivery day then cancel since I would loose the $250 deposit anyway and move on the something else.
Man, small things really do upset you. You will lose $250 and the best car you might ever own for a $200 part you most probably will never use.

To be honest, I can go a year+ between using my mobile connector, but I do like having it.
I only went about a week before using it. I was intending to use an existing wall mounted J1772 EVSE that I had for a previous EV, but it did not play reliably with the Model 3 as it was supposed to (it could charge using the J1772 adapter, but only sometimes, and would show numerous interruptions and restarts). So I unplugged it and plugged the mobile connector into the outlet and have been using that since then.

J-1772 adapter has not come with the car for awhile now.

“This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle.”

A big part of me is upset because I want the mobile connector.
Nothing is preventing you from buying it if you want it, and honestly, it's not very useful without this anyway. I wish they had just bundled everything together in a single carrying case because it's kind of dumb having two identical carrying cases, one for the UMC itself and another with all of the adapters in it.

My wife and I are also ticked off if this is true. We had a NEMA 14-50 just installed AND ordered the adapter plug "knowing" the mobile charger would be coming with our vehicle. Otherwise.....why would go through the expenses????

This is ridiculous. I suppose the $1k we spent in preparation with an electrician will be to waste.
FYI you can buy it separately (even used) and Tesla's mobile connector is not the only option out there for EV charging (Clipper Creek makes a lot of good options, plus many other brands). Not seeing how your preparation will go to waste. I get people dislike this decision, but that's a bit much hyperbole.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Nothing is preventing you from buying it if you want it, and honestly, it's not very useful without this anyway. I wish they had just bundled everything together in a single carrying case because it's kind of dumb having two identical carrying cases, one for the UMC itself and another with all of the adapters in it.

You probably don't need the entire bundle. If you plug in at home with the mobile connector, then you only need the plug adapter for your home plug (probably 14-50 or 6-50 if you install new). For travel purposes, you may not have much need if there are Superchargers around, although if you go to an RV park, you may want a 14-50, and if you go to a vacation house with a dryer outlet or some such, you may want the adapter for that.

Well it’s out of stock and has been for months so that’s preventing anyone that wants it from buying it.

• Informative
Reactions: danarcha
Reached out to one of my Tesla advisors today and this was what they had to say
482491B8-9C00-4E4B-95AF-F9BB315982A2.png

Imagine opening your new laptop and realizing it didn't come with a power brick to charge it. 🤔 With all the recent price increases Tesla should be able to absorb the $100 for the Mobile Connector.
Not the same at all. Many owners have existing EVSEs or plan to install a wall mounted EVSE. Thus, many of these mobile connectors are going unused. During a supply shortage, this just makes sense.

I only used my UMC once or twice and it was by no means necessary. I now have three of those painfully slow units sitting on a shelf and gathering dust (2 Tesla UMCs and one for a Zero SR/S).

Frankly I was way more pissed when they removed the garage door opener from the cars in what... 2019?

Btw, if you guys think it's the end of the world if you don't have the mobile connector, just shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to get rid of them.

Not the same at all. Many owners have existing EVSEs or plan to install a wall mounted EVSE. Thus, many of these mobile connectors are going unused. During a supply shortage, this just makes sense.
I wouldn’t say that’s the case at all. This is likely a lot of peoples first EV and they plan to use the UMC with a 240V plug as their main EVSE.

I think it would be way better from a PR perspective to offer several options. First, include all adapters with the UMC, if someone gets it, so that no one is given a UMC that he/she cannot use to charge the vehicle optimally. Then, offer the following options:
1. Get only the WC in lieu of the UMC: $100 refund
2. Get only the UMC, but at a later date (6-12 months out): $100 refund
3. Get the WC now and get the UMC at a later date (6-12 months out): Pay an extra $350
4. Get the WC now and get the UMC now: Pay an extra $450
5. Get neither: $500 refund