Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely think it's a cheap move by Tesla, should be included. Right up there with removing the passenger lumbar support on the Y in 21. Claim was it was rarely used however parts supply surely helped push the decision.

That being said when I first took delivery of the Y I was not very educated on EV's in general except they needed to be plugged in. Realized after my first night on 120v, the mobile connector was basically useless. If I ran a short errand it took 24hrs to replace what I used not to mention I did use it once while sleeping over during the winter (cold) at a friends house, preheat in the morning took out everything I put in that night. Today both the S and the Y have the mobile charger in the frunk for emergency use which I seriously doubt will ever be used again but good to have a universal albeit slow option. I can see it being used going to a friends cottage (far from any charging facilities) for the weekend where the cars sits plugged in for 48+ hours but not much else.

Trying to save a few $ by installing a dryer plug in the garage and using the supplied cord is OK I guess however might as well up the wiring size a bit and go wall connector IMHO or at least install wiring to accommodate a 60A circuit if you decide to upgrade at a later date. The wall connector is convenient, fast, permanent, aesthetically pleasing and safe as it gets.

Installed 2 wall connectors in the garage and another one at my office. Could not ask for a better setup, park&plug. If things change in the future, I do have the wall connector 60a dedicated circuits capable of receiving any other charger made on the market if I decide to change brands in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Trying to save a few $ by installing a dryer plug in the garage and using the supplied cord is OK I guess however might as well up the wiring size a bit and go wall connector IMHO or at least install wiring to accommodate a 60A circuit if you decide to upgrade at a later date. The wall connector is convenient, fast, permanent, aesthetically pleasing and safe as it gets.

Installed 2 wall connectors in the garage and another one at my office. Could not ask for a better setup, park&plug. If things change in the future, I do have the wall connector 60a dedicated circuits capable of receiving any other charger made on the market if I decide to change brands in the future.
Wall connectors lock you in to the Tesla plug which is a really shortsighted move IMO. What happens when (if) Tesla becomes smart and changes to the standard J1772 in the future? I buy another wall connector? The mobile connector on 240v is convenient, fast, non permanent (huge plus IMO), looks fine, and as safe. I thought about switching out my 240v outlet for a hardwired wall connector but I still fail to see any aspect of it that will benefit me.

I'm assuming you mean 14-50 and not 5-15. 5-50 doesn't exist but would be a hypothetical 120V, 50A outlet that would put 50A through your neutral line. Anyway, I really wonder how many people who buy Teslas (other than the M3 SR+) don't realize that these cars can charge with 50% more current than the mobile connector is capable of carrying. For me, that simple fact ended any consideration of using the mobile connector as my primary charging method before it even started. In an alternate universe where Tesla capped the OBC at 32A, I'd have at least considered it, although a desire to keep the mobile connector in the trunk may have still pushed me to use a WC.
Sorry, meant 14-50. I have an SR+, capped at 32 amp.

My M3P should be delivered in about 3 weeks and I was fully planning on using the mobile charger. I spend several days per month at Air BnBs and the ability to get a few dozen miles per night would have been nice.

More importantly, though, is I will be moving in about a year and the time and money to install a wall-mounted charger is not worth it compared to my having already installed a 14-50 outlet for $70 plus the $45 mobile connector dongle (that I can also use anywhere else). Given my small town doesn’t yet have supercharging, and MCs are currently sold out, my Tesla will literally be useless to me without the Mobile Charger.

Hopefully mine will still be delivered with the MC.

My M3P should be delivered in about 3 weeks and I was fully planning on using the mobile charger. I spend several days per month at Air BnBs and the ability to get a few dozen miles per night would have been nice.

More importantly, though, is I will be moving in about a year and the time and money to install a wall-mounted charger is not worth it compared to my having already installed a 14-50 outlet for $70 plus the $45 mobile connector dongle (that I can also use anywhere else). Given my small town doesn’t yet have supercharging, and MCs are currently sold out, my Tesla will literally be useless to me without the Mobile Charger.

Hopefully mine will still be delivered with the MC.
I'm pretty much in the same boat, I have a detached garage with about 30 ft of concrete I'd have to run lines thru if I wanted to add a dedicated charger. Not to mention my breaker is full so that would require replacing..My daily commute is about 40 miles 3x a week so I figured I'd be fine with the included charger. Now I have less than a month to find another way of charging or buy the mobile charger at current ebay scalper prices. Honestly it's just bs considering I went out of my way to confirm it's included when I ordered the car around Feb 15...

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I have a detached garage with about 30 ft of concrete I'd have to run lines thru if I wanted to add a dedicated charger. Not to mention my breaker is full so that would require replacing..My daily commute is about 40 miles 3x a week so I figured I'd be fine with the included charger. Now I have less than a month to find another way of charging or buy the mobile charger at current ebay scalper prices. Honestly it's just bs considering I went out of my way to confirm it's included when I ordered the car around Feb 15...
Now why would you think your car isn't coming with it? You ordered the car with one so they will have to provide you with one.

I'm assuming you mean 14-50 and not 5-15. 5-50 doesn't exist but would be a hypothetical 120V, 50A outlet that would put 50A through your neutral line. Anyway, I really wonder how many people who buy Teslas (other than the M3 SR+) don't realize that these cars can charge with 50% more current than the mobile connector is capable of carrying. For me, that simple fact ended any consideration of using the mobile connector as my primary charging method before it even started. In an alternate universe where Tesla capped the OBC at 32A, I'd have at least considered it, although a desire to keep the mobile connector in the trunk may have still pushed me to use a WC.
32A vs 48A charging doesn’t make much practical difference for most people.

Most people drive less than 60 miles a day and come home to plug their car in overnight. The mobile connector at 32A would take about 2 hours to top up the car, compared to maybe 1 hr 20 min or so for the wall connector at 48A. That 40 minutes is inconsequential because the car is going to be plugged in for 10-12 hours anyways.

Even if you rolled into your garage in the evening with 0%, the mobile connector at 32A max output would still be able to charge to 100% overnight in 12 hours.

Now if you came home almost empty in the middle of the day and needed to charge up ASAP to head back out then sure, the wall connector will be faster.

Now why would you think your car isn't coming with it? You ordered the car with one so they will have to provide you with one.
Because all they have said(Elon mostly) is that it will no longer be included. He didn’t say “.. from now on” or “..after this date” or “..current orders excepted”. None of that. They don’t have to include it, but I just want to know IF it will be or not so I can plan appropriately. In the end it’s $200. It’s not the money, it’s about what do I do.

Because all they have said(Elon mostly) is that it will no longer be included. He didn’t say “.. from now on” or “..after this date” or “..current orders excepted”. None of that. They don’t have to include it, but I just want to know IF it will be or not so I can plan appropriately. In the end it’s $200. It’s not the money, it’s about what do I do.
The easiest way to solve that is to call them. Even if you show up and there isn't a charger don't take the car until they get you one. I bought mine used and my charger was missing. I needed it since my home charger was 3 weeks out so I made them go car to car to find me one or I wasn't taking the car.
I'll never use it again but no way was I taking delivery of a car and letting it sit for 3 weeks.

Wall connectors lock you in to the Tesla plug which is a really shortsighted move IMO. What happens when (if) Tesla becomes smart and changes to the standard J1772 in the future? I buy another wall connector? The mobile connector on 240v is convenient, fast, non permanent (huge plus IMO), looks fine, and as safe. I thought about switching out my 240v outlet for a hardwired wall connector but I still fail to see any aspect of it that will benefit me.
^^^ This is why I never bought a wall connector. Tesla changes like the wind on everything, so I can totally imagine this happening.

Also, way back when I got my 3, they delivered it with like 40% charge and the first thing I did was pop out UMC and charge on 5-15. In retrospect I know I could found public L2, supercharged or whatever, but it was more convenient.

Reactions: E90alex
If Tesla switches to another connector, then you buy another connector. Connectors are pretty inexpensive compared to the labor-intensive process of getting the wires into the wall. The warranty on these things is 4 years, so if anything happens to it after that point, it's probably not worth trying to fix anyway, given the likely technological progress over those 4+ years. In the meantime, you can just put an adapter on the WC, or perhaps change out the cable and connector on it.
32A vs 48A charging doesn’t make much practical difference for most people.

Most people drive less than 60 miles a day and come home to plug their car in overnight. The mobile connector at 32A would take about 2 hours to top up the car, compared to maybe 1 hr 20 min or so for the wall connector at 48A. That 40 minutes is inconsequential because the car is going to be plugged in for 10-12 hours anyways.
While that's true, the car will be consuming an extra 200-400W to run the computers during those extra 40 minutes. Day after day. 40 minutes a day, 243 hours a year. An extra 50-90 kWh a year. Although I think the bigger issue is this.
Even if you rolled into your garage in the evening with 0%, the mobile connector at 32A max output would still be able to charge to 100% overnight in 12 hours.

Now if you came home almost empty in the middle of the day and needed to charge up ASAP to head back out then sure, the wall connector will be faster.
Except as you are probably aware, you shouldn't charge to 100% unless you have the LFP batteries. And a lower charge limit is better. EVs with NCA batteries are unlike ICE vehicles in that there is actually a penalty for filling them up to 100% unless you really need all of that juice at once.

This is a use case I've hit once. I didn't come home in the middle of the day, but I keep the battery at 60% for daily driving for battery longevity purposes. But one time, someone called me and wanted to do a trip that would require 50-60% SoC and wanted to leave in an hour, and I wanted to be at 75% SoC within that 1 hour. It took all 48A to get there. I probably could have just departed immediately with 60% and I probably could have made it back without charging, but that wouldn't have left me much of a buffer for unplanned routings. Sometimes, stuff just comes up and you have to charge up quickly, and on a vehicle where battery longevity is inversely proportional to your charge limit, perpetually setting a high charge limit just in case something comes up isn't necessarily the right move.

Reactions: father_of_6
It's up in the air when this is effective. Immediately, where none of us waiting will get the charger or... for any car ordered after the "official" effective date, not necessarily the date Elon tweeted it. I may be mistaken (it's been known to happen from time to time), but I would think it would be "officially" announced and have a single effective date that clarifies ordered vs delivered. Shouldn't be hit or miss.

Here's a thought...I just checked the Tesla website and the Corded Mobile Connector is still listed at $400. Would the price drop to $200 coincide with them removing it from the cars? If so, would that date be for orders after that date wouldn't get it or would it be for deliveries after that date wouldn't get it?

Here's a thought...I just checked the Tesla website and the Corded Mobile Connector is still listed at $400. Would the price drop to $200 coincide with them removing it from the cars? If so, would that date be for orders after that date wouldn't get it or would it be for deliveries after that date wouldn't get it?
I was under the impression that the $200 price would be if ordering it with the car. It was said to be shown as an addon item.

Just to be clear, there are two products, with different plugs ($400 vs. $275). Like brancky3 notes, the second one is what we've been getting.

Reactions: toquar
The frustrating aspect of this change is the poor communication.

As a recent purchase that hasn't taken delivery, I want to know what this means for me, and I have no idea.

This is also going to be unintuitive for new purchases. This needs to be more explicit during new orders so that customers can choose if they want a mobile connector or not.
I regret that I only have one thumb on this forum.

How many times has Tesla screwed the pooch when it comes to communication? There could be 27 shelters full of traumatized dogs out there by now.

However, I haven't had to use a UMC since I've had my HPWC installed, about six weeks after buying my first used Tesla.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Incredibly lame move like selling a toaster without a power cable and offering it as an option. Seems like an inevitability that one day passenger and back seats will not be included and will have to be purchased separately. Elon will justify by saying that logs showed almost no usage on those seats relative to the driver's seat. These cars are already priced considerably higher today than they were when initially launched and slowly Elon continues to take away features one after another.

Some owners rarely use the mobile charger so the first part of Elon's comment, "Usage statistics were super low, so seemed wasteful" is absolutely true. However, most people also have very low usage of their fire extinguishers, or tire repair kits, etc but owning those items would not be "wasteful". My mobile charger is not my primary charging method but I sure appreciate it when I use it occasionally - especially when my car was initially delivered. Semantics and psychology but most people would find it more palatable if it was included and you get a discount for not taking it.