Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hint: if you are looking for a J1772 EVSE to charge both a Tesla and a J1772 EV, the one that did not like the Model 3 was a Siemens Versicharge.
I can attest that my Clipper Creek J1772 wall charger works flawlessly with my Model Y and I intend to use it with the Model 3 I have on order.

Clipper Creek is probably the oldest EVSE company out there. They supplied the EVSE for the original Roadster. They are made in America and have a reputation for toughness. I've been driving an EV since 2017 and I've come across many, many Clipper Creek chargers at hotels and other public places. I have never seen one that was broken.

They wouldn't have to if they didn't read some nonsense forum and fearmongering youtubers. They would just show up pick up their car or order their car and get exactly what it stated in both cases.
Sure there are fear-mongering YouTubers who are desperate to hype any little scrap of content. And yes, there were people here worried out of proportion to another $200.
But there is simply no arguing that it was proper, professional communication or how The World’s Greatest Car Company should do things. The comms strategy was BS because there wasn’t one. And they don’t seem to even know HOW to communicate with customers or the public.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
You can't make this stuff up. I'm used to car forums having actual issues not chicken little hysteria when someone tweets something.
We've had zero facts and people are ready to cancel orders over a $200 charger haha.
You guys crack me up. Am I the only one who wants Tesla to succeed and possibly speed up delivery by investigating where they could save material?

You can't make this stuff up. I'm used to car forums having actual issues not chicken little hysteria when someone tweets something.
We've had zero facts and people are ready to cancel orders over a $200 charger haha.
You guys crack me up. Am I the only one who wants Tesla to succeed and possibly speed up delivery by investigating where they could save material?
Elon sucks at communicating. "We're experiencing supply chain issues and we have a shortage of mobile connectors. We understand that some customers may not see a need to have a mobile connector. We are therefore offering a refund of $300 to individuals who do not need the mobile connector as an incentive to not receive one when their vehicles are delivered in order to keep the deliveries going" was all he had to say.

Elon sucks at communicating. "We're experiencing supply chain issues and we have a shortage of mobile connectors. We understand that some customers may not see a need to have a mobile connector. We are therefore offering a refund of $300 to individuals who do not need the mobile connector as an incentive to not receive one when their vehicles are delivered in order to keep the deliveries going" was all he had to say.
Asperger's. But hey you guys really entertain me on my boring conference calls. Is that discrimination picking on Elon? I think he did quite well despite being socially challenged.

100% I can't believe the level of whining and complaining with Tesla owners. Crazy really.

But that's the thing. Some manufacturers are offering rebates for any features they can't deliver on due to parts shortage.

Musk took the stance of lying that the usage was low and thus cut their costs while offering the customer nothing. Fair enough, the are free to do so. But Musk thought everyone was stupid and would eat it up like they did with the passenger lumbar removal which was affecting many manufacturers. He lied then and he lied now. That's really what irked me.

Had they updated the configurator one day to say "The UMC is no longer included but can now be optioned with the car purchase, purchased from a service center or the website later on" then you would have seen some articles about it, people would have rabbled on for a bit then moved on.

All of this could have been avoided yet again with a simple communication strategy.

Exactly, if this is truly about low usage and supply chain challenges then make it optional and credit back the cost. Think of it this way, if Mobile Charger costs Tesla $100 and they produce 1M vehicles this year that is a cool $100M a year extra since they did not lower the price of the vehicle. Then go a step further and say that 25% of people of that purchase this year will actually now go and buy the price reduced $200 Mobile Connector. Telsa makes another $100 x 250,000 buyers, or another cool $25M this year.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I am pretty sure no would have carried.
Depends on how heavy really. I can tell you that Genesis actually sent letters to owners with vehicles on order that HDA2 was no longer being offered due to the chip shortage and offered a $250 rebate. That's the right way to do it. This is clearly a cost cutting move by Tesla so clearly there will be no rebate but I get the feeling that Elon is in this for a good time not a long time. Trying to make as much money as possible before legacy automakers catch up and surpass him.

I am pretty sure no would have carried.
My point is a lot of Tesla owners are "fans" of the vehicles and products and they are willing to tolerate more. Your typical buyer who is not an enthusiastic fan of the company would be annoyed. At some point when there is more EV competition it will cost them business. For now, Tesla can do whatever they please and pretty much get away with it.

Opinions are one thing and I sold a BMW to buy my Tesla so I know BMW owners. Tesla owners seem to be a special type of needy.
Clearly you don't. I loved my BMW's but there's no comparison as the owners fully deserve their reputation of being the most pretentious out there. This is nothing compared to what you see at BimmerPost as Tesla just keeps removing features (homelink, usb ports, radar sensors, lumbar support, charging cable, etc) while increasing costs and making owners pay extra for stuff that used to be standard like the cable and homelink. Owners have a right to be a little upset as no other automaker does this. As I said before other automakers are doing this a lot better.

Depends on how heavy really. I can tell you that Genesis actually sent letters to owners with vehicles on order that HDA2 was no longer being offered due to the chip shortage and offered a $250 rebate. That's the right way to do it. This is clearly a cost cutting move by Tesla so clearly there will be no rebate but I get the feeling that Elon is in this for a good time not a long time. Trying to make as much money as possible before legacy automakers catch up and surpass him.
There's no reason to rebate. Those with existing orders will get them. Those who have ordered since the 17th have the option to order one.

Reactions: WhiteWi
My point is a lot of Tesla owners are "fans" of the vehicles and products and they are willing to tolerate more. Your typical buyer who is not an enthusiastic fan of the company would be annoyed. At some point when there is more EV competition it will cost them business. For now, Tesla can do whatever they please and pretty much get away with it.
The typical buyer wouldn't be reading the nonsense on here and happily be going home with exactly what they were promised and paid for. And after the charger is removed that same typical buyer would put a reduced price charger in their cart and still be equally happy. It's only us nut job fans that follow every tweet like it's gospel that seem to have a problem. Look at that track mode tweet with boost. Elon said "OK" probably while on the can and now everyone has articles up and youtube that we're all getting track mode whoohoo amazing.

Reactions: DrGriz and BMWM3Man