Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it depends. If Toyota were to release an EV Tacoma pickup right now, I don't think many would hesitate since they have a long history of quality and reliability.
If, Maybe, When? Was saying when I was shopping I wanted the gold standard. Also I don't just want a bloated EV where they're stuffing a large battery in a car to compensate for inefficiency. That just means longer charging times and more cost to charge a larger pack with the same range.

I think it depends. If Toyota were to release an EV Tacoma pickup right now, I don't think many would hesitate since they have a long history of quality and reliability.

Interesting thought but personally I do not consider a ICE vehicle's reliability rating to have much to do with it's EV version. What little I know they are (should) be completely different parts and functionality not to mention the added tech involved.

Reactions: WhiteWi
What a bad % # & * ! @ + idea. Stupid. Boo. 🤬

I have a NEMA 1450 in my garage and use the cable and plug that came with my 2028 Dual Motor. 90% of my charging is at home. I have another cable and plug kit in the well of the boot which I use when visiting my son. There, I slip open the laundry room window, unplug the dryer and plug in the NEMA 1450, Gen 2 cable. 🙃
Why does your son have a dryer on a NEMA 14-50? Isn't that against code?

Once Ford rolls out the F-150 Lightning they will be in business as that will begin the transition for them as the F150 is key to their business. They are only expecting to make about 150k a year by 2023 but it's going to be the vehicle that really drives the transition to EV in North America as pickup trucks are the vehicle of choice for North Americans.

Tesla is way ahead in every aspect of EV development.

It's relatively easy to make a low-volume EV that competes with Tesla on specs. You are right that some are getting closer to that goal.

But until Ford and the Koreans prove they can build a competitive EV at high volume there is no reason to believe that they will do anything but go out of business.
I've always felt that small bands like Mazda, Subaru, etc will likely not survive or be absorbed by larger automakers but there's little chance that the larger legacy brands are going anywhere. ICE vehicles still make up the majority of all vehicles sold so none of them are going to drop ICE like a hot potato as this is a long game and it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' they start building at high volume.

Reactions: raptor5244
Once Ford rolls out the F-150 Lightning they will be in business as that will begin the transition for them as the F150 is key to their business. They are only expecting to make about 150k a year by 2023 but it's going to be the vehicle that really drives the transition to EV in North America as pickup trucks are the vehicle of choice for North Americans.
F-150 will be popular. Around where I live though anyone who drives a pickup wouldn't be caught dead in an EV. Heck most of them drive diesel's and take all of the emission controls off so that they can blow plums of smoke out of the stacks they put on them.
The F-150 would be a great option for me if I needed one but no one I know would buy it.

I'd be curious to see how many sell when it's released.

Yep, I see Ford and GM for that matter going all in on EV but it will take a while before you convert the F-150 farm owner from using dinosaur juice. ;)
Most of the initial F-150 Lightening trucks will be for the city dwellers with extra disposable income. Until you can tow a boat/trailer more than a 100 miles the majority of these trucks will be ICE based. We also need to see what becomes of the battery replacement industry. Trucks usually have a longer life span since they hit the used market for use in the trade industry, landscapers, construction, pool service, pest control service, etc. It will be critical to understand how to inject new life into these trucks once the original battery is shot.

I've always felt that small bands like Mazda, Subaru, etc will likely not survive or be absorbed by larger automakers but there's little chance that the larger legacy brands are going anywhere. ICE vehicles still make up the majority of all vehicles sold so none of them are going to drop ICE like a hot potato as this is a long game and it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' they start building at high volume.
I hope they survive because if you have ever dealt with these smaller brands they tend to be a real pleasure. Mazda comes to mind. I have nothing but nice things to say about working with Mazda over the years.

Reactions: mangrove79
Dryer plugs seem to be the equivalent of NEMA 14-50. My electrician (twice) installed the same plug for my garage as the dryer in the house. I'm neither an electrician nor a code monitor. All I can say is, "Works great."
Most dryers are either NEMA 10-30 (deprecated, grandfathered for existing installs):
49YY64_GC01

Or NEMA 14-30 (newer outlet type, with ground):

WBP_HBL9430A_PRODIMAGE_515.webp

This is a NEMA 14-50:

5403410-24.jpg

If it has the 90 degree turn on one of the 4 prongs, it's a 14-30. If it has 3 prongs, 2 of them at an angle other than 90 degrees and the third with a 90 degree turn in the prong itself, it's a 10-30. If it has 4 prongs, and no prong with a 90 degree turn in it, it's a 14-50.

I have never, ever seen a 14-50 dryer plug. Dryers come without plugs because some older houses have 10-30 outlets and newer ones have 14-30 outlets, so the plugs come in both 10-30 and 14-30 varieties.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I can tell you right now they won’t make 150k by 2023.

Reactions: rrsrsr
Yeah, lots of collaboration projects. The Supra is a BMW morph. The GR86 collab with with Subaru.

How about Honda and GM building a sub $30k EV together?

Subaru's upcoming EV is just a rebadged Toyota as they don't have the means to build and develop their own. They will ride out the rest of the decade with their own ICE and rebadged Toyota EV's and to me it's an inevitability that Toyota will likely increase their 20% ownership by buying them out.