Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you right now they won’t make 150k by 2023.
You could be right but time will tell. They are investing considerably more into the Lightning than the Mach-E which was a product to get their feet wet. That said the material shortage is not improving as fast as anticipated as Ford can't even make Broncos. If you have ever ordered a non-F150 Ford you would know that the F150 is always highest priority to Ford when it comes to manufacturing. My 2012 Mustang GT was delayed well over a month because of a parts shortage for the Coyote engine as Ford diverted all the Coyote engines to F150 assembly lines to keep those going.

Reactions: WhiteWi
You could be right but time will tell. They are investing considerably more into the Lightning than the Mach-E which was a product to get their feet wet. That said the material shortage is not improving as fast as anticipated as Ford can't even make Broncos. If you have ever ordered a non-F150 Ford you would know that the F150 is always highest priority to Ford when it comes to manufacturing. My 2012 Mustang GT was delayed well over a month because of a parts shortage for the Coyote engine as Ford diverted all the Coyote engines to F150 assembly lines to keep those going.
Hard to say but easy to predict. They don’t have enough batteries to build that many ;)

Makes sense that Ford prioritizes the F-150. They sell more of them than anything else and they are possibly their highest-profit vehicle. Sucks if you have something else on order, though.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Where do they confirm that? They only said orders after 4/17 won't include the adapter and deliveries in the next several weeks will. Said nothing about orders before 4/17.
Post it references says specifically order on 4/16 is safe, basically any order before that is safe (regardless of delivery).

Reactions: WhiteWi
Post it references says specifically order on 4/16 is safe, basically any order before that is safe (regardless of delivery).

Individual SA’s have been giving all kinds of answers. I think they are following this internal alert (assuming it is legitimate)

Per this document, orders from April 17 onwards will not include the connector. For orders prior to that date they are still working on a “solution”. For the next several weeks delivered cars will include it.

Attachments

• BA0658A1-839D-48F3-812B-0BEBE44E7464.png
    BA0658A1-839D-48F3-812B-0BEBE44E7464.png
    593.7 KB · Views: 99
Individual SA’s have been giving all kinds of answers. I think they are following this internal alert (assuming it is legitimate)

Per this document, orders from April 17 onwards will not include the connector. For orders prior to that date they are still working on a “solution”. For the next several weeks delivered cars will include it.
Yet there's still nowhere to order it on the website, when placing an order for a car. There should be an option (with an explanation of what it is and why it may be necessary for some owners) to add it for ${money} when placing the order, just like the Y's tow hitch or a set of upgraded wheels.

A company with an actual plan to make such a change would have had a website change ready to go at such an announcement.

Yet there's still nowhere to order it on the website, when placing an order for a car. There should be an option (with an explanation of what it is and why it may be necessary for some owners) to add it for ${money} when placing the order, just like the Y's tow hitch or a set of upgraded wheels.

A company with an actual plan to make such a change would have had a website change ready to go at such an announcement.
Agreed, but in my experience this is not how Tesla rolls. You get an vague Tweet from Elon then you search forums like this until you see a long thread and look for a semi official communication from Tesla service advisor. You then head over to the Tesla Online Shop where 80% of items are out of stock. Have a nice day. 😀

Reactions: danarcha and DrGriz
Agreed, but in my experience this is not how Tesla rolls. You get an vague Tweet from Elon then you search forums like this until you see a long thread and look for a semi official communication from Tesla service advisor. You then head over to the Tesla Online Shop where 80% of items are out of stock. Have a nice day. 😀
Yes, in some ways, Tesla still behaves like a startup run out of Elon's garage, although these days his garage is bigger than most of our houses.

Or the real reason for the decision not to make the charging cable standard is because there's a parts shortage and they don't want people to easily be able to order them. Why Tesla doesn't just say "Yeah, it's a supply issue" is beyond me though.

Reactions: E90alex and DrGriz
Or the real reason for the decision not to make the charging cable standard is because there's a parts shortage and they don't want people to easily be able to order them. Why Tesla doesn't just say "Yeah, it's a supply issue" is beyond me though.
They want to uphold the image that they are immune to a lot of the supply chain issues that have been plaguing other automakers during the pandemic. They delivered record number of cars last quarter and they can’t have that image be tarnished and tank their stock price.

So with the whole "mobile charger for $275" now deal, I'm just trying to see if anyone knows if it's the same charger that used to be included. The Tesla site says a max output of 1.3kW with the included 5-15 plug. Does that mean you can no longer use a nema plug on it to up the charge speed and it's locked to a slow charge, or can you still pop a plug in it for 14-50, for example?

So with the whole "mobile charger for $275" now deal, I'm just trying to see if anyone knows if it's the same charger that used to be included. The Tesla site says a max output of 1.3kW with the included 5-15 plug. Does that mean you can no longer use a nema plug on it to up the charge speed and it's locked to a slow charge, or can you still pop a plug in it for 14-50, for example?
FYI the Gen 2 Mobile Connector with the 5-15 and removable adapters was always $275 (Elon in recent tweets talked about reducing price to $200). It's the same thing that came with the car previously:
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle
Yes, you can buy a 14-50 adapter for $45 and use it:
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
It's something a lot of people do (including myself), so much so there is a whole thread dedicated to it:
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

That the articles that reported this keep mentioning the $400 hardwired 14-50 version has confused a ton of people. This is a totally different option:
Corded Mobile Connector

Here's a discussion about the differences between the two options:
Whats the difference between Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle and Corded Mobile Connector?