Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does that mean you can no longer use a nema plug on it to up the charge speed and it's locked to a slow charge, or can you still pop a plug in it for 14-50, for example?
Yes, you can (once you buy the 14-50 adapter, of course). However, the mobile cable is limited to 32A, so you know. That means charging at 16kW, which translates to around 32 miles or 1% per hour. Hope this helps.

Where do they confirm that? They only said orders after 4/17 won't include the adapter and deliveries in the next several weeks will. Said nothing about orders before 4/17.
Just got off the phone with Tesla Rep....

Our order was Placed on 25 March and we were concerned if the Mobile adapter would be included. I was told there was nothing to worry about AND the NEMA 14-50 would work as well.

Will see on delivery but the Tesla rep was pretty straight forward on it. Will see :)

Just got off the phone with Tesla Rep....

Our order was Placed on 25 March and we were concerned if the Mobile adapter would be included. I was told there was nothing to worry about AND the NEMA 14-50 would work as well.

Will see on delivery but the Tesla rep was pretty straight forward on it. Will see :)
NEMA 14-50 is included or you still have to purchase separately?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
We purchased the NEMA 14-50 the day after order in anticipation of charging with the provided one. To my knowledge it does NOT come with that adapter. I "think" it may have years ago but chatting with our SA when purchasing he recommended getting one as they go on and off the website for availability.

I am wondering if there is a parts shortage that has severely restricted the number of UMCs Tesla can produce and rather than not deliver cars because they can’t provide cables they decided to simply stop including cables with all cars so they could keep delivering cars. The stated reason, that very few owners use the cables, is implausible. Here is some data on that issue from Teslascope.

I’m pretty sure every other EV manufacturer includes an AC charging cable with their EVs. For Tesla not to do that is ridiculous.

Last edited:
We purchased the NEMA 14-50 the day after order in anticipation of charging with the provided one. To my knowledge it does NOT come with that adapter. I "think" it may have years ago but chatting with our SA when purchasing he recommended getting one as they go on and off the website for availability.
You are correct, the 14-50 hasn't been included in the gen 2 mobile connector for a while.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Wait just checking here.. my father in law ordered a M3 in the 20th, and didn’t know about this. He has no supercharger stations near his house - he was gonna use his 240v connector from his laundry area. He is worried now and says the adapters aren’t available on the site. Are Tesla really not including any way of charging???

Wait just checking here.. my father in law ordered a M3 in the 20th, and didn’t know about this. He has no supercharger stations near his house - he was gonna use his 240v connector from his laundry area. He is worried now and says the adapters aren’t available on the site. Are Tesla really not including any way of charging???
They might still include the J1772 adapter (which you can use with other EVSEs). However, the mobile connector they aren't including anymore. Elon tweeted about offering it for $200, but who knows if that will happened and what the details of that is.

Note he will also need an adapter for the outlet even if he buys one separately. The mobile connector only comes with a NEMA 5-15.

It certainly makes sense for Tesla to sell their cars without charging cables. This way each customer in each region can simply order the cable(s) they think would work out best for them.

No reason to "throw in" an expensive cable that the customer has need or capability to use.

If customers situation changes over time, they can easily order the necessary cables and connectors at that time.

At some time in the future, many will wish to have on the floor no touch induction charging pads. Will automaticly charge their cars with no need to plug anything in. This is getting quite popular with cell phone users as well.

It certainly makes sense for Tesla to sell their cars without charging cables. This way each customer in each region can simply order the cable(s) they think would work out best for them.

No reason to "throw in" an expensive cable that the customer has need or capability to use.

If customers situation changes over time, they can easily order the necessary cables and connectors at that time.

At some time in the future, many will wish to have on the floor no touch induction charging pads. Will automaticly charge their cars with no need to plug anything in. This is getting quite popular with cell phone users as well.
Simply adding the check box for the charger on the order page would be best. People that need it, get it (even at a cost). People that don't need it don't..

Outright not including it for everyone is not a great solution.

The phone charger analogy is a bit off considering the cost and availability compared to the mobile charger (currently out of stock via Tesla) and you can go and get a phone charger for cheap damn near anywhere.

Simply adding the check box for the charger on the order page would be best. People that need it, get it (even at a cost). People that don't need it don't..

Outright not including it for everyone is not a great solution.

The phone charger analogy is a bit off considering the cost and availability compared to the mobile charger (currently out of stock via Tesla) and you can go and get a phone charger for cheap damn near anywhere.

Agreed, if it is not included, make it an option when you order the car instead of stressing out all the new customers staring at an out of stock message at the Tesla online store and scrambling to find one.

Everybody (6 months from now): Hi, will my new car come with wheels and seats?

Tesla: Hello, your silver Model 3 will come with seats

Everybody: what about wheels?

Tesla: …

Everybody: hello???

Tesla: …
Wheels are already gone find a car with a spare tire. Everything is a 4 cylinder, Engines are made out of plastic, First no dipstick for the transmission now for engine oil. No headphone jack even after all of the funny droid commercials mocking apple. Speaking of where are my free pair of headphones when my airpods break? How am I going to listen to my music without headphones?

I would have bought one anyway if it wasn't included. But you know what with my second Tesla I wouldn't have if it wasn't free. So maybe they're on to something? Let it go to people who need them. The $200 will hardly bankrupt anyone buying a $100k car.
It would be nice if they did something like first time tesla owners get a credit for the charger. after that why do you need another?

Everybody: Hey, can I give you $275 for the charging cable that didn’t come with my car?

Tesla: Out of stock

Everybody: What if I need it to charge my car!

Tesla: Great news! Tesla Tequila is back in stock today!

Everybody: What???

Tesla: Sorry- Tesla Tequila is now out of stock
Damn you got my hopes up that Tequila is nice.