Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they planned it sensibly, they would have done the following:
1. Easy check box on ordering a car to get the mobile connector, $200 (or whatever) discount if you decline it. Also, easy check box for the plug adapters.
2. If you purchase a car without the mobile connector, you get priority to purchase one mobile connector and plug adapter within the first three months after delivery.

But then it sometimes looks as though Musk says things in public before telling the parts of the company that need to implement the change.

If they planned it sensibly, they would have done the following:
1. Easy check box on ordering a car to get the mobile connector, $200 (or whatever) discount if you decline it. Also, easy check box for the plug adapters.
2. If you purchase a car without the mobile connector, you get priority to purchase one mobile connector and plug adapter within the first three months after delivery.

But then it sometimes looks as though Musk says things in public before telling the parts of the company that need to implement the change.
Well he did say it was going to be added to the order process.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
The mobile connector page now lists it for $200, but an interesting note on that page says a vehicles sold on or after 4/28 won’t include it. That’s different than what we’ve been hearing.

897DA8D7-31BA-42F6-9D9F-D060BEC4C4EE.jpeg

The mobile connector page now lists it for $200, but an interesting note on that page says a vehicles sold on or after 4/28 won’t include it. That’s different than what we’ve been hearing.

View attachment 798645
I guess they pushed the date back given they didn't put the previous message anywhere publicly. That was just an internal message that sales used to answer questions.

Reactions: E90alex
Which Elon should have just said that instead of trying to spin it as usage was low. That would have been more understandable and less controversial.
At least Tesla did the right thing here - including it with cars ordered before it officially became an add-on option when placing the order.

Looking at the vehicle order page, it seems the $200 UMC includes the NEMA 14-50 adapter again, but in the Tesla Shop it can be ordered with either just the NEMA 5-15 or both 5-15 and 14-50.

Charging options now showing up when you configure a car too. Good to finally have an official answer instead of just rumors.
First post here but have been following TMC a long time. So if I'm reading this correctly, for those of us who may be placing an order for an MP3 in the next few weeks, the configurator is currently stating that I may receive the car (delivery June-Aug) before the charger (delivery August-October) if I order the mobile charger along with the car? It would be nice to have an ordered mobile charger arrive with the car which would both be ordered at the same time. Seems best bet is to order the wall charger and have that installed ahead of projected car delivery time or pay premium on Ebay or wherever for a mobile charger.

First post here but have been following TMC a long time. So if I'm reading this correctly, for those of us who may be placing an order for an MP3 in the next few weeks, the configurator is currently stating that I may receive the car (delivery June-Aug) before the charger (delivery August-October) if I order the mobile charger along with the car? It would be nice to have an ordered mobile charger arrive with the car which would both be ordered at the same time. Seems best bet is to order the wall charger and have that installed ahead of projected car delivery time or pay premium on Ebay or wherever for a mobile charger.
Seems that way, but you can't even order the mobile connector right now. They updated the page, but the option to place an order is still unavailable.

As of now you can only place an order together with a vehicle order. Probably due to limited supply so they’re giving priority to people ordering a car.
It actually makes sense to prioritize orders of EVSEs with vehicle orders (or for those who recently bought a vehicle without an EVSE, once those are delivered).

At the current prices, it would not be surprising if those with J1772 EVs want to buy the Tesla EVSEs and add third party adapters (e.g. TeslaTap 40 for $140 or TeslaTap 50 for $170). A Tesla Mobile Connector + TeslaTap 40 is $340, which is very competitive with 32A J1772 plug-in EVSEs. A Tesla Wall Connector + TeslaTap 50 is $570, which is very competitive with 48A J1772 hardwired EVSEs.

Reactions: E90alex
That would imply until it is added to the order process, it's included with every car sold.

I'm all for that!

I would agree with that if it's still listed as an included accessory

Charging options now showing up when you configure a car too. Good to finally have an official answer instead of just rumors.

I ordered a MYP on the 28th and there was no option to add the mobile connector... I do see the option on the website now. I'm hoping that because the Canadian website wasn't updated on the 28th the mobile connector will be included with my order. I will need one when the car is delivered because the closest supercharger is about 35km away from my house in the opposite direction of work... my commute is only 30KM a day so the connector is all I need.

Hey, does anyone know if the NEMA 14-50 adapter is now included with pre-4/17 orders being delivered? I'm curious, since it is listed as part of the new $200 order option.

Trying to find out if I need to keep the one I already have when I sell my 2019 Model 3.