Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector over heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those quoted temperatures should be for the ambient temperature to operate the unit in, not the temperature that individual components might reach during operation. It should work. However, if it's going to be installed outside, particularly somewhere that gets a lot of rain, I'd seriously consider going with the wall connector, as the mobile connectors aren't built for weather exposure. If you want to do the mobile connector, consider installing some sort of rain and sun protection for it.
Thanks, @davewill, for the advice.

The gen2 mobile connector manual does indeed warn that we "Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather." and "If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet."

I'd need to have a covered box for the NEMA 14-50 outlet anyway, and perhaps I'll also hang weather-resistant tarp/vinyl over the whole thing to protect the UMC, and then just run it at lower amps, 20-24A or so.

Recently had the same issue of charging amperage dropping to 16A, with the 'T' on the Mobile Connector flashing 4 times. (See attached PDF for what the diagnostic codes on the body mean) I have a 2021 Model S LR. I will give the details below, but one piece of data that was eventually shared by the Tesla Remote Technician (via Service Message on the App) was that the car data log only captures the Wall Plug Temperature when it exceeds 145F. They can give you the actual temperature. Mine was 149F. If I had known this, I would have changed the receptacle much sooner.

In the previous events, by the time I got to the plug to measure with my temperature gun it was in the 110F range, so I thought it was the Mobile Connector. On 8/10/22 I changed out my Leviton receptacle - #279-S00 (It was not discolored nor looked degraded) for a Hubbell #HBL9450A 240V/50A NEMA 14-50. It is on a 6/3(18 inch run inside the wall below the breaker panel) and 50A Circuit breaker dedicated circuit. (Also torqued the terminals to 75 in-Lb as required) Recently did an 8 hour overnight charge after a long trip with no issues. I checked the temperature of the plug every hour for 3 hours, never exceeded 102F on the plug head.

The Leviton was installed and used continuously on my 2018 Model 3 from 12/2018 to 8/2021. Then for my 2021 Model S LR since then. To get to this point, had 3 separate Mobile Service Calls, they replaced the Plug, then the Body and Cable. Honestly, if they had given me the 149F on the first issue, I would have replaced the receptacle immediately. It was all covered under warranty. Bottom line, as on many threads here, use a commercial/industrial grade receptacle for EV charging. Hint: Zoro.com has great prices on the Hubbell #HBL9450A and the required wall plate (it is 2.48" in diameter, the Leviton is 2.15") it is also 1.81" deep vs. 1.0" deep for the Leviton, so you need a deep double gang box to handle the 6/3 wire, one nice feature is it has both rear and side terminals.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for this. I assume that the plug replacement solved the issue? Thanks

I’m running into similar issues (in Texas) but of course to make it complicated, my 2020 Model Y charges in the hot weather (using 14-50, 32A) without the mobile charger going into heat protection mode but when charging my 2023 Model Y, it gets too hot at 32A. (I’ve had the charger since 2019 when I had a 3)

For now I just lowered it to 18A when charging my 23. Currently 105 degrees ambient temp in the garage. This heat dome mess needs to leave already

I may look into having the receptacle replaced though - been 4 years since I had it installed. I also have another mobile charger that I can test with. (The other is just plugged into a 110 outlet). I’m wondering what changed between the 2020 and 2023 to even explain the difference though. Guessing the 23 pulls more? No idea

Very informative thread

I’m running into similar issues (in Texas) but of course to make it complicated, my 2020 Model Y charges in the hot weather (using 14-50, 32A) without the mobile charger going into heat protection mode but when charging my 2023 Model Y, it gets too hot at 32A. (I’ve had the charger since 2019 when I had a 3)

For now I just lowered it to 18A when charging my 23. Currently 105 degrees ambient temp in the garage. This heat dome mess needs to leave already

I may look into having the receptacle replaced though - been 4 years since I had it installed. I also have another mobile charger that I can test with. (The other is just plugged into a 110 outlet). I’m wondering what changed between the 2020 and 2023 to even explain the difference though. Guessing the 23 pulls more? No idea

Very informative thread
Hey same here in Texas and this heat has been brutal. I’ve only had the mobile connector for 1.5 years and it’s on a professionally installed Hubble plug. I hadn’t removed it in a long time until a road trip a couple of weeks ago. When I came back it overheated the first night because the Powerwall next to it started exhausting heat from grid charging too. Usually the two don’t overlap but since I started earlier to charge I thought that was the case. Fast forward and we have a second Tesla in the house due to guests. I disabled grid charging on the Powerwall and tonight it still overheated again! Had it plugged in first half of the night into mine no issues but then swapped it to theirs and about 30min later got the red T. Got nights free but this Texas heat isn’t relenting at all. Thinking of getting a small fan to blow on it lol.

Hey same here in Texas and this heat has been brutal. I’ve only had the mobile connector for 1.5 years and it’s on a professionally installed Hubble plug. I hadn’t removed it in a long time until a road trip a couple of weeks ago. When I came back it overheated the first night because the Powerwall next to it started exhausting heat from grid charging too. Usually the two don’t overlap but since I started earlier to charge I thought that was the case. Fast forward and we have a second Tesla in the house due to guests. I disabled grid charging on the Powerwall and tonight it still overheated again! Had it plugged in first half of the night into mine no issues but then swapped it to theirs and about 30min later got the red T. Got nights free but this Texas heat isn’t relenting at all. Thinking of getting a small fan to blow on it lol.
The craziest thing… I swapped the mobile charger (since I have two) but kept the same 14-50 adapter. Still overheated. Then I changed the 14-50 adapter itself and no more overheating. Maybe those wear out? Not sure yet - still “testing”. The fan idea did cross my mind too lol. This constant heat is unreal