Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector to be not included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an example of the misuse of data. The data itself may be correct but the decision flowing from it is flawed. The fact the frequency of use is low doesn’t mean it isn’t necessary. The public access defibrillator installed at the village hall may never have been used but that’s no argument for its removal.

I guess they don't come with a 4 year warrentee if you buy from the shop either.

You can buy a universal one for half what Tesla charge but I wonder if Tesla will see an uptick in service / warrentee claims after damage caused using cheap aftermarket chargers?
And the amount of roadside requests from people being stranded. This will damage EV reputation.

Do other brands charge for their UMC?

Reactions: AquaY
$400 sale on 1 million cars a year ...

How many other EV brands include such a cable as standard?
Kia did last year.
Renault don't and wanted over £400 for the genuine one. The Tesla one is actually very reasonably priced at £300 for a genuine OEM one compared to other brands

But since many people don't use them I can see them all going that way once Tesla stop

My friends Zoe didn’t come with a charger. Had to buy one of these: Masterplug 10A 2.3kW Mode 2 Type 2 Socket Electric Vehicle Charging Cable 5m

You can see how Tesla might have got here. In the current model, if Tesla have supply issues, you can’t sell a car without one, and not everyone needs one. Eases the supply problem, saves waste, improves vehicle weight/efficiency, saves cost. If costs are going up, how do Tesla reduce cost without putting the price of the car up. If you never use one, why should you pay for one. You can buy a UMC if it’s in stock and you need one.

I agree in the UK there is too much scepticism / anxiety re: ability to charge and too many instances where you might use one so removing the UMC is the wrong thing to do.

My friends Zoe didn’t come with a charger. Had to buy one of these: Masterplug 10A 2.3kW Mode 2 Type 2 Socket Electric Vehicle Charging Cable 5m

You can see how Tesla might have got here. In the current model, if Tesla have supply issues, you can’t sell a car without one, and not everyone needs one. Eases the supply problem, saves waste, improves vehicle weight/efficiency, saves cost. If costs are going up, how do Tesla reduce cost without putting the price of the car up. If you never use one, why should you pay for one. You can buy a UMC if it’s in stock and you need one.

I agree in the UK there is too much scepticism / anxiety re: ability to charge and too many instances where you might use one so removing the UMC is the wrong thing to do.
True but in all fairness if you are purchasing a Tesla you can more than likely afford an after market one for £200

People will probably squander that on meaningless accessories

I do still believe it should come with one though, even if it's a rubbish 1kwh thing or something

I leant mine to a friend in his ID.4 when he was staying in a cottage as a backup but neither of us have ever used it. The ID.4 didn’t come with one. I also bought a weatherproof extension lead with RCD protection and a weather proof box to put the plugs in.

When I first got an EV, if it hadn’t come with one I’d probably have bought one. However, in future I don’t think I’d bother getting one with a new car if it didn’t come with one.

Our company is about to start an EV only salary sacrifice scheme. They have released some information from the supplier and they are recommending that you don’t use a 3 pin plug to charge the car regularly. I don’t know if there is a real reason for this, or it’s just that they are effectively also including an option for a installing a home charging points as part the deal.

they are recommending that you don’t use a 3 pin plug to charge the car regularly. I don’t know if there is a real reason for this

13AMP socket not really designed for continuous draw for long periods. e.g. A 13AMP fire toggles on and off. So even with a circuit in good condition it may result in accelerated wear-and-tear - e.g. on the contacts in the socket.

So confidence needed that the wiring from consumer unit to socket is good (that doggy one in the garage that the previous house owner fitted DIY to recharge his cordless drill ??)

I think there is probable some inefficiency too - i.e. more (relative) losses on a 13AMP charge than a 32AMP / 7kW one.

Our company is about to start an EV only salary sacrifice scheme. ... also including an option for a installing a home charging points as part the deal.

We have been looking at setting up salary sacrifice. Interest-shown has been so poor (disapprovingly) that I expect we will ditch it. We would have included home charger installation for free, and charge at work is free.

I had a Google for ID3. Someone from Ireland said Granny Charger came with the car over there; UK users said "Managed to get the dealer to include one for free"
None of the VAG cars come with them in the UK as standard, they are an optional extra. It's possible to get one included by negotiating with the dealer. Ireland for some reason have their own set of specs for VAG car build variations, including completely different options from the UK market & I think they include the granny charger.

As we can see from the responses in this thread there are of course some people who use them, but the vocal minority on a forum is not really representative. I think it would be interesting to see the stats of the percentage of Tesla owners who do. I'd guess it's a very small percentage.

I leant mine to a friend in his ID.4 when he was staying in a cottage as a backup but neither of us have ever used it. The ID.4 didn’t come with one. I also bought a weatherproof extension lead with RCD protection and a weather proof box to put the plugs in.

When I first got an EV, if it hadn’t come with one I’d probably have bought one. However, in future I don’t think I’d bother getting one with a new car if it didn’t come with one.

Our company is about to start an EV only salary sacrifice scheme. They have released some information from the supplier and they are recommending that you don’t use a 3 pin plug to charge the car regularly. I don’t know if there is a real reason for this, or it’s just that they are effectively also including an option for a installing a home charging points as part the deal.
Its not good to charge from a 3 pin for a long period of time. It's really only a backup - but a necessary one.

True but in all fairness if you are purchasing a Tesla you can more than likely afford an after market one for £200
I slightly disagree with this. Where do you stop? Windscreen not included next as "Tesla owners can afford the extra".

Nissan Leaf came with a 3 pin, not as adaptable as the Tesla with different connection options, but it's there is the boot.

It's my backup plan if my home charger fails, given this is critical infrastructure having a backup seems sensible (although I could use the Leaf's adapter). Also used it in it's natural environment, at Granny's house.

For those that have ordered, unless Tesla tell you otherwise and you agree you should expect to get the specification in place when you ordered, so including UMC. You may need to ask and be persistent. For my current Model 3 back in May 2019 when I ordered the garage door opener was included, but was removed before delivery in August. I logged it as missing, asked for a ranger appointment and out they came and fitted it. When my replacement ever arrives (in June now) I'll be expecting a UMC as it was specified when I ordered in Jan.

Where do you stop?

I refer the honourable member to the Porsche Options Pricelist :)

£ 210.00 Electric folding exterior mirrors
£ 380.00 Exterior mirror lower trims painted in exterior colour, including mirror base painted in Black (high-gloss)
£ 380.00 Exterior Mirrors painted in Exterior Colour
£ 1,052.00 Exterior mirror upper trims in Carbon
£ 0.00 "electric" side badge - Bargain!

It's my backup plan if my home charger fails

I had a commando socket installed (with wall charger) for that (as I doubt 13AMP would be fast enough if my Wal Charger was out of commission for some weeks whilst replaced - as did indeed happen with original Rolec)

When I've used Granny charger, at the Rellies, it took all weekend to replenish the car. I now don't arrive at friends THAT empty :)

For anyone who has ordered before today, below is your proof that it was an included accessory with the purchase.

Tesla have an the past, and legally should in the future, honour order time specs when possible and when not possible, such as a physical changes to the car (wheels etc, rather than included options such at mats, homelink etc), notified the user giving them the option to continue with their purchase.

1650184367725.png

Reactions: Andyb5